igotmadskills
Years ago

Navy Seals

I sit right near the navy seals and personally don't rate their input to the games. Everyone I speak to about the seals doesn't rate them either. They look unprofessional and some have probably never played a game in their life and their understanding of the game shows. I know they do other things like the bbq's etc out of their own time, which is great and good on em for that. I know some on here are members of the seals; I don't want to make it personal guys just voicing my opinion.
I have taken others from non-basketball backgrounds along on occasion to the games and most have commented negatively on the seals and the value they bring to the game. Id personally rather see the drummers back than have the Seals.
They were great at first. They did some dancing etc but now all they do is rebound the balls at the breaks 4 the comps. I think its time to go out gracefully at the end of the season or vamp it up and make it worth while and bring value to the games for the crowd. Give 10 free tickets away per game to a school basketball team and get them to rebound the balls at the quarters.
Surely the seals can think of something better than chanting Harvey Harvey Harvey all night for the last 2 games. Not sure if it annoyed Harvey but the crowd near me were definitely sick of hearing it.
Just putting it out there guys. What do you all think?

Topic #9733 | Report this topic

ChrisBlakemore  
Years ago

Finally, I thought I was the only one sick of their bullshitz! Bring back the band!

Chris Blakemores old number is about how high I'd rate the Seals.

Reply #111109 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The seals do a great job, they are volunteers and do lots around the club from what i have been told to help out.

The put togther the You Tube show at their own cost and time and dont ask for anything in return.

The seals have been debated to death on here...check things before you post and you will have your question answered.

Reply #111110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Mr. supposedly got mad skills (although I highly doubt it),

What does having ever played the game or not have to do with being a loyal, passionate fan?

Reply #111113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, I think most play socially and a few have played a little above that.

You sound like you have an expectation of "value for money". Does the same apply to the cheer squad/supporter's group? Are you really paying for either of them?

If you don't like them, and especially if you don't think they do/contribute much, they're pretty easy to ignore.

Reply #111115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that easy to ignore the Harvey chants.

Reply #111116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Mr. supposedly got mad skills (although I highly doubt it),

What does having ever played the game or not have to do with being a loyal, passionate fan?

I'm not sure he mentions them not being loyal and passionate??? Does he??

Reply #111117 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

By saying having played i justified it by saying their understanding of the game shows.

igotmadskills is a better name than Anonymous champ and at least I put my name to my comments when voicing em.

by value im meaning the experience that the general public take away from a sixers game and if the paying supporters think the Seals bring down the quality of the sixers experience I think something needs to be done about it either from management or the seals picking up their input and image. Everything that happens throught the game is value for the sixers some positive some negative. The MASK last night was great and amused the crowd. That bought value to the experience of a sixers game. This is what im trying to say by value.

Reply #111119 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not saying that the Harvey chant doesn't get a bit bland after a while, but other than that the Seals are fine IMO. I think the issue could just be one of expectation. Can appreciate that you are simply providing your feedback - useful for the club in ascertaining future direction.

Reply #111121 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Kent,

So has the "let sack Phil Smyth" and the "4 to 6 week line" thread been done to death but both will return after the next loss but more so toward the end of the season.

The Navy Seals would have to be one of the biggest jokes in the history of the Adelaide 36ers home game gimmicks but after almost a season and a half I don't even notice them there anymore.

Reply #111125 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

The Seals are passionate fans that provide great support for the 36ers on game nights, get in to the opposition players head (which is often very ammusing) and make a show other fans, Seal'D which is absolutley brilliant.

Reply #111127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is all just a matter of opinion. I think the Seals do a good job of irritating the opposition, and when I have sat down that end in the corporate box right behind them, I haven't found them annoying at all.

On the other hand, in contrast to what igotmadskills has said above, I thought the Mask was utterly pathetic and cringe-worthy last night. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Reply #111131 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Is it already that time of the month again?

Oh, Its good to be loved :-)

FWIW madskills, Most of us all do play social at the dome. Some of us have player much higher including for the state. I dont think tho whether you have played or not means anything. I know people who have played since they were 5 and are still clueless. If you have any suggestions to improve the game night, I suggest you contact the club. They are always looking for new ideas.
and I promise, just for you, not to use the Harvey chant for the rest of the Season. Although, it was only used twice last night and less for a minute both times.

Reply #111134 | Report this post

davo  
Years ago

i thought the "harvey" chant, whilst old and unimaginative, was great - you could tell he was trying hard not to look in that direction!
and yeah, "the mask" sucked ass. you shouldnt be allowed to dress up as a) the mask. or b) austin powers. the movies are funny, impersonators are not.

Reply #111135 | Report this post

i have to admit, i hate the bitching and negativity that flows through this site daily, but i have to add to that this time.

i dont think the seals do much for the game at all. the best mascot we ever had was murray magpie, who wants the bring back murray?

at least murray can do some bball tricks, dunk off trampoline, do backflips, 1-arm handstands etc actually entertain kids, not just hearl abuse at opposition teams. i would love to see the sixers get a real mascot again, something that screams south australian, and has the crowd (especially children) enthused about the game.

Reply #111138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume the guarantee for not using the Harvey chant again this season is that we don't play them again at home ; )

Reply #111141 | Report this post

davo  
Years ago

yeah, i'd be for bringing back murray the magpie. love those trampoline dunks!!

Reply #111142 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Yeah, I really want Murry back. He was an awesome mascot. I remeber him doing back flips down the side line when one of the sixers got a three. Why did they get rid of him?

Reply #111143 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I sill want the seals tho.

Reply #111144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Navy Seals are pathetic in my opinion!!! When the cub was asking for people to become the "Navy Seals" they were asking for flamboyant out there people to do things on game night!! I beleive this is why there is expectation for them to do stuff on game nights!! I also beleive back when they first started they got free season tickets for doing so.....dont know if this is still the case?? Its great that they do things around the club such as the BBQ but there are a lot of other volunteers who do just as much if not more and are not in the spectators eyes and go unnoticed. I beleive if you are going to be in the spectators and players view especially when you are promoted either by yourselves or the club then you should bring some value to the game. From a spectators point of view there is an expectation there due to this reason!! During the game I dont think the Seals bring any value to the game, they dont provide any entertainment, they dont assist in getting the crowd going and they definitely dont put players off!! What's with the Harvey, Harvey chant?? Does anyone watch football, soccer or any other sport?? In any other sport this would be considered barracking......just think of Warnie coming into bowl, I beleive you will hear from all the supporters, "Warnie, Warnie". If the Seals think they are putting players off by doing this then they are sadly mistaken and in fact look as though they are barracking for the other team!! Get rid of them......I have seen more passionate and entertaining supporters amongst the crowd!!

Reply #111146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and I see you doing a lot for the club anon you fucking dipshit.

Reply #111150 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

lol if some thought that they were barracking for the other team with the harvey chant they would have to be a retard. i thought they did a good job of putting harvey off as he only got 15 points which is well below his average and got him into foul trouble early. they have done it on many occasion where the taken one of the key players out for the game. as for more passionate supporters, i doubt it! they bloody make a show in there own time deadicated to the team. if that isnt passionate then please do tell me what is.

and also if your gonna write a post like this and start bagging on the someone please put a name up and dont take the coward way out.

thats my two cents.

Reply #111152 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Hey Seals at the end of the day you cant please everyone you. Either you love them or ya hate them theres no real in between. You guys do a great job with the fans like every1 has already mentioned. You guys do get into the players head which is great to see and you dont have to scream abuse to do it which is alot different from myself and the 50+ people in the crowd.

I know its the job of the MC to get the crowd inta the game by yellin out defence, defence but maybe if you guys really get into it aswell maybe turn ta face the crowd and try 2 get them involved same as what murray the maggie used to do that would be great to see and the crowd would feed of your energy. Thats really the only feedback i have. Besides that keep up the good work.

Reply #111153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The seals have had some great moments this year -The Shane Heal banner - The David Cooper says "no" banner. Just feel it is getting a bit stale the last couple of games. Acknowledge it must be difficult coming up with new ideas all the time however thats what people will expect.

Reply #111154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Seals are a joke especially Bizzy and Skip.

Piss them off and bring back the Magpie.

Reply #111156 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Anon #111156 next time ya post dont forget ya name.

Reply #111157 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

put a name down if you are going to call people out #111156

Keep it up Seals..Harvey was definately put off last night!

Reply #111159 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I agree with G-funk.
I sit about 1/2 the Dome away from you and do appreciate when you guys get into the 'De-fence' or 'Let's Go Sixers' Chants.
You guys do a much better job with the sling shot than the dancers ever did. Well done on that!
I think the Harvey Chants were funny.
Maybe it would help the Music Man out a bit with starting chants? Maybe some of the posters on here could suggest something they would like to hear chanted out?
I've bought raffle tickets from you guys and would much rather buy them from you than from contracted 'ticket sellers' that used to hassle us in the past season.
Maybe one of the drummers could lend you his drum?
Heck, why don't we get an organist in to play the same music they play in some of the USA games. (NOT!) *wink*
Actually, I can't remember which game it was many years ago, but the funniest thing I heard was a trumpeter playing the 'charge' when a guy went for a fast break. Needless to say, the poor guy lost it...

Reply #111160 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

WHAT HAPPENED TO MURRY??? HE WAS BLOODY AWESOME!!!

Reply #111163 | Report this post

davo  
Years ago

i'd rather hear chants whilst the game is on than music turned up full blast! the music i feel can be a tad too loud sometimes. maybe its just me, but i like to hear the squeaking of sneakers and the players communicating on defence.

Reply #111164 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm not sure what pisses me off more, threads about Sturt V Forestville or threads about the Navy Seals...... we have all heard it before, do we need to go through it again......

Reply #111166 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

yeah ,we've established that forestville are better than sturt and that the navy seals are good. Just joking :)

Reply #111170 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

seals do a great job behind the scenes as well, and are entertaining on the nights.

maybe these ppl who critise would like to give up HOURS each week to do there job, its not just come game time its everything else,

keep it up seals and dont let this shit bother you

Reply #111172 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

It's all about being entertained. IMO Murray was the best, but if the Seals could invent a character cum mascot that would be OK. I think they should be more visible to the fans.

Reply #111179 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You mean, like Aunty Booga the wrestling referee from the All-Star game?

Reply #111185 | Report this post

tiger165  
Years ago

I dont rate the navy seals at all I think the money could be better spent enteraining the crowd.
I remember back many years ago they had entertainment like the gymwits (I think there name was). The sixers should get back to the days where people went for the basketball game and the entertainment not just some guys that only 1/8th of the crowd can hear.

Reply #111190 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What money do you think they're spending?!?

Reply #111191 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

Bring back Murray & hands off the seals. Love the way they chant at players, keep it up! Murray could be an extension of this group.

There is a lot of negativity about what the seals do wrong, how about what they do right!

Was it last season you guys were out front with a hoop and ball shooting with any kid that wanted a shot? Bring that back before the game, my daughter and her freinds loved it.

Way better job with the raffle tickets than the hired guns, and as already mentioned, the slingshot.

How about a pre game BBQ out front of the dome with profits going to the Hudson Maher Foundation, manned by Seals?

Hey, at least you guys are having a go.

Reply #111192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they ran a BBQ for the HMF once last season and I also think they may have paid for the meat and bread they were selling themselves?

The arguments in this thread go roughly:

They don't do enough. Well, they're not exactly "paid entertainment".

Other people volunteer and don't get that visibility. Err, tell them to offer something that provides that or join the Seals - weak point.

It's a waste of money. What money?

Probably never played a game in their life. Irrelevant and untrue.

They're not for everyone. Neither is the music, Sam in the Mask on Wednesday night, the signings of most of the roster. We've even had a thread whining about the dancers.

The main reason I will jump to the defense of these guys is that they're fans of the team and the game like the rest of us. By all means, either ignore them or suggest that the 'Harvey' chant grates on you, but some of the other claims and criticisms are just poor and unfair.

Reply #111197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The seals are awesome...better to have them then nothing at all and they are doing a fantastic job. They show great passion and enthusiasm for the game of basketball and the fact of the matter is that they are volunteers and give up there own time and we should respect this. Maybe as mentioned earlier, add a mascot as an extension to the seals. Keep up the good work boyz!!

Reply #111199 | Report this post

tiger165  
Years ago

In previous treads people have said that the seal dont pay for season tickets.
Approx 7 seals at approx $300 for a season ticket Thats $2100 that the sixers have lost.
I am not having a go at the people in the Navy seals it is just not a good concept it addes nothing to the sixers experience.
Things like the Mask, Murray Magpie, gymwits or any thing that people will go any tell there friends about is good for the game and the sixers. I dont believe the Navy seals do this

Reply #111204 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

tiger, do you know what they were paying to raffle ticket sellers? Have you noticed the empty seats? They had 500 freebies at the last game - that doesn't mean that they "lost" $10,000...

Reply #111205 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

tiger165, I have never seen the stadium full to capacity. How have the sixcers lost $2100? You're assuming that if the 7 season tickets were not given to the Seals, they would have been sold. Yeah just like all the other empty seats.

Reply #111206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm a wollongong and dragons fan and wish someone like the seals brought a bit of atmosphere to games at the Sandpit

Reply #111209 | Report this post

youcouldberight  
Years ago

Congrats to anyone that wants to give up their time and support a team. Why can't we have the seals and the Magpie?
Why do some believe that you can't be a supporter or spectator at a sport if you haven't played it? Smacks of snobbery.... I have never played cricket, but I support it. Does this mean I have no rights to watch it or pass a comment? I think not.

Reply #111210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the Navy Seals still selling the raffle tickets? I have only seen other people selling them.

Reply #111215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As annoying as the paid raffle ticket sellers were, I've heard that they did sell a lot more raffle tickets... but that might be because there only seems to be one Seal selling the tickets the last few games. (There are other people selling them, but they're not Navy Seals.
Whether or not the club is financially better off this season all depends on how much the previous sellers were paid.

Reply #111216 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I remember hearing that the paid raffle ticket sellers got a 50% cut of each sale.

Reply #111220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if the seal (as there is only one that seems to be selling them - and doing a good job spruking outside) then he only has to sell half as many tickets as the guys from last year for the same return for the club ?.... minus the cost of his ticket and singlet and what ever else he gets.

Reply #111223 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I have never seen Isaac selling raffle tickets, nor pay for his ticket, nor provide any entertainment at games,i question if he has even played the game at all, he does not look like an athlete and therefore should not be representing the club.....people get over the seals thing they do good work, the people that make the decisions want them around and if you understand the game at a high level you know what they can do to a players head.....just ask Mel Thomas.

Reply #111229 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

Criticism just makes us stronger.....if anyone bothered to ask we are in the process of making up some chants for the slingers game!!! And i promised to get my missus onto painting some more banners!
As for the 'harvey, Harvery' chant, the day that one of the players we are doing this to erupts and scores plenty than we will stop, but so far it seems to stop them from scoring as we hope its playing on their mind. Anything to help the 36ers get and advantage I say, we all want to see them win.

As for having no knowledge about the game, I think that is completely unwarranted as Igotmadskills you don't know any of us personally and that in making a comment like that about someone you would have to know us.

Reply #111231 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Kent Brockman, Isaac may not sell raffle tickets, nor provde half-time entertainment but do you honestly think that they are the only jobs around the club that matter. Isaac, runs this website and the 36ers site and does a great job of it. He's one of those guys that gives a great contribution towards the club but because it's mainly behind the scenes type stuff, I dought he would get the recognition he deserves.

Reply #111232 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Can someone please explain to Nick??

Reply #111235 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Yes i could but feel i have other pointless posts to make.

Reply #111237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #111238 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

I call shenanigans against #111209.

Reply #111240 | Report this post

davo  
Years ago

shenanigans? i have to run home and get my broom.....

Reply #111245 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I was under the impression that the raffle ticket sellers were actually volunteers and were given free seats for the game they were working on. Only know that because I was approached (away from basketball) by friends a couple of times asking if I could help. I think they may have been from charities etc themselves, and their charity got a cut of the funds raised.

Reply #111264 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Last year the sellers were paid professionals and this year the job has fallen to the Supporters club and the Seals assisting.

Both groups do a great job volunteering for the club and do a lot of unpaid work that helps everyone through the club.

Reply #111267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Tiger165's defence, if these Seals are the so called die hard fans that everyone says they are then yes, the Sixers have lost $2,100. If they were true die hard fans as suggested they would still pay for their tickets as I am sure they would like to support the club financially as well?!?!?!

Reply #111274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember the Adelaide 36ers are not a charity.

Reply #111276 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Say what you wish about us, we put in a lot of time and effort into the club, a lot that people posting here wouldn't even know.

So because I still pay for a family season pass to the games that makes me more of a fan?

Reply #111279 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

For the critics who may be missing the point:
http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/3461/

Reply #111283 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

Even opposition players come up to us after the games and say we do a great job. Mick Hill and Larry Abney are just a few who said there should be more people like us.

I think we do a good job, we buy any props ourselves and the kids seem to like us as well.

If anyone has any suggestions we would be more than happy to take them on board, come and introduce yourself and say hi.

Reply #111306 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Why haven't the seals been swapping to the opposing end at half time this season?

Reply #111311 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Kev - We didnt swap ends last year. We just sat down the other end all game.

Reply #111316 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Kent, If you ask Isaac nicely enough, he may offer to entertain at half time as well. He could drive his red Ferrari around the court with the Sixers Dancers hanging out the other door and sitting on the roof. A raffle can be run to raise more funds for the club and the prize would be a Sunday afternoon chauffeur (Isaac) driven ride in the Ferrari.

Reply #111323 | Report this post

T.O. Slammer  
Years ago

The navy seals are well past their due date as an on-court presence. For the first few games they provided some laughter. Now their act is just plain old and stale.
Ditch them!

Reply #111353 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I hate comments like yours Toe Slammer....

You and some of the other whingers would be the first to bitch if the Seals were cut and then what...... oh no NO ENTERTAINMENT!!

They're not costing you money are they and they haven't raised the tix prices to pay these lads??

Keep it up seals! Don't let idiots who are expecting top service entertainment for FREE get in your way

Reply #111355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the fascination with 'entertainment' anyway? I thought seeing YOUR basketball team would be more than enough.

The seals do a great job and are all top blokes.

My kids have played basketball with them out the front and they are great with them.

Reply #111357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey ya guys, my unlce was one of the gymwits and i know all the orignal memebers

Reply #155767 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Murray the Magpie got injured, and was replaced by a female in the costume who did not do what he did and the crowd turned off her/him, so it was retired.

The Gymwits grew into the 'Dunkers' and then most of them retired. The Gymwits are still around, but their approaches to do the basketball again have not garnered a response (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mCf23qrrrb0 is where you'll see them, filmed last year). That's all I know...

And the Seals are okay, for what it's worth. They volunteer their time and that's awesome for the sport.

Reply #171209 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

lol...one must assume this is ACTUALLY the coach, as his awareness of what is happening with the seals is just like his game time awareness

lol :)

Reply #171220 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:16 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754