Years ago

Best Ref at M/vale

Who does every1 think is the best ref at m/vale??

Topic #974 | Report this topic

tim hodges  
Years ago

if we are talking morphett vale only, then probably matt combes....if we are talking the whole southern region, then probably tim hodges at mercedes on a saturday morning, i have see the guy fully asleep and still making the right call...week in and week out, the man has a maximum of 3 hours sleep the night before. he could do nbl if he did not bust his ass so hard on the training track.

Reply #10832 | Report this post

Serenity Now  
Years ago

Its true people. This man is a good referee with only 3 hours sleep. Although usually late, and not dressed in full atire, he still beats 90% of the refs out there :D

Reply #10834 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

The guy with Wayne Tuesday night was Bruce Northcote and he isn't a normal M/Vale Ref. I would say Daniel Hughes would have to be the best M/Vale Ref going around.

Reply #10846 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

I would have to strongly disagree as far as Daniel Hughes goes.

(Mod : Inappropriate)

Reply #10860 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Daniel Hughes isn't a normal M/Vale ref but is clearly the best of the referees there atm.

Reply #10870 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

How so because he is most experienced? Because he has most qualifications? I find Daniel tends to over referee games and has far too bigger influence on results. I don't think he has a good enough grasp on the game to know when to let calls go and when to call them.

Reply #10872 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I beg to differ Informer.

Daneil has been involved in the game for many years, and has played, coached & refereed at various levels.

He's been a div 1 junior coach in the past and I think his history of involvement in the game serves him well as a referee.

From what I have seen of him in recent times I'd say he's clearly one of the better refs going around and is probably the best of the refs down south.

Reply #10875 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

I respect what your saying but from what I have experienced and I may have just got him on his bad days but he has that Pasadena mind set of I am the umpire and you must not talk to me. Maybe thats due to my big mouth but he has probably given me the most Tech's out of all the umpires.

Reply #10882 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Informer,
I'd suggest you're probably a Tigers player who is upset that Daniel doesn't allow you to hit, bump and slap the people you are playing against. Who are you or me to rate Daniel or any other referee for that matter. I bet you go to watch the game not the referee and are in no way qualified to judge one referee against another. This whole thread is just a popularity contest and I don't doubt that Daniel is not concerned with if he's popular or not.

Reply #10885 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Maybe thats due to my big mouth <--- Probably.

Again, from my experiences with Daniel he seems to be approchable, and quite happy to explain his calls to me, when asked in an appropriate manner.

Reply #10886 | Report this post

Colonel Klink  
Years ago

Alf,

You seem to have a beef with the Southern Tigers..?
Would you like to expand on why that is?
Im not out to head hunt, just curious.

Reply #10900 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

Alf I don't care who you are and what you do! I was responding to an earlier post that stated Smiley was the best umpire down south i don't remember saying anything about you. Obviously no one is qualified enough to critisize umpires but anyone can critisize a coach or player! Come on Alf if you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

Reply #10907 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

P.S. I have never and will never play for the tigers!

Reply #10909 | Report this post

dianne  
Years ago

tim hodges anyone???...has anyone seen this guy....sleeping??....training??

Reply #10929 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Before I get shot down for this, I would like to state that I am not a ref.

What a pointless thread to start up. The umpires have been discussed at lengths on this forum and to narrow ref's to one Stadium is really not appropriate. I guess some of the people making comment have never done a ref's course and do not understand the technical side of referring.

I think at any basketball stadium if you approach a ref in charge and discuss issues with them in a civil manner, they will sit down and discuss you problems. Maybe we should all talk to these people to increase our knowledge of the game&maybe you might learn something?

Please tell me if I am wrong as I am not sure of this, but should coaches who are doing the level 2 coaching course do a basic ref's course?

Reply #10940 | Report this post

Scrappy  
Years ago

Umpiring at morphett vale in my opinion has improved (compared to 2/3 yrs ago) and isnt any better/worse than most stadiums in adelaide although the standard does need to improve overall and i think having more ref's to lighten the load will help
like players/coaches you get good and not so good ref's

Reply #10942 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Informer says : Obviously no one is qualified enough to critisize umpires but anyone can critisize a coach or player!

Hmmm, when was the last time you saw a ref on this forum bag out a player or a coach. When was the last time you saw in a game a ref go up to a player who just missed an easy lay up and saud "come on player, get it ***ing right, make your shots!!" When did you last see a ref get into a coaches face saying "your a bloodu disgrace, why cant you even sub your players properly you (expletive ridden insult).

I would bet my annual salary, my house, my car and all my belongings that you have NEVER seen a ref do any of that. So using your analogy of that people are allowed to crticise coaches and players but not refs.......why are refs allowed to cop criticisms from players and coaches (and spectators) on court, but they have to just stand there and take it??

Reply #10946 | Report this post

Colonel Klink  
Years ago

I've heard plenty of ref's give back as good as they got.

Reply #10955 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Haven't been down South for a while, but my vote would go to Matt Coombes.

Regarding yogee's comment that a ref has NEVER made bad comments about a players game - I will take that bet.

Happened to me in a Senior division 3 game. He made some comment about me not having game. Haven't seen him around since, so I assume he is on stress leave after I gave him my withering stare... :-)

Reply #10959 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

No...my comment was that refs dont get in peoples faces and give the abuse they receive.....obviously people misread....

Reply #10960 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

You get what you dish out.

I'm sure a ref wouldn't say boo to you if you didn't say something first.

Reply #10965 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Gee, according to yogee - now I can't read either (#10960). I am starting to get a complex! :-)

Reply #10972 | Report this post

Daniel Hughes  
Years ago

If anyone who has posted on here knows me they would know I am more then willing to discuss any issues they may have. Unfortunately as I will be reffering solo's all night as well as being UIC tonight that might be a problem. The critisim referees at all venues have to face is exactly why those that still do it have to do so many and in my case, so many solo.

This whole thread is a waste of time and space started no doubt by a bunch of girls trying to stir up trouble. (As they have tried with another thread also!)

I don't go out there to try and please anyone, just do a my job. More players and coaches should focus more on their jobs then bagging referees on or off the court.

I personally find the naming of referee's names (who ref JUNIOR basketball) as being no different to that of posting junior players names. If my name was Paul Arnott maybe I could get all mentions of junior referees removed as he did with players.

Reply #10976 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Agreed.

IMO the only refs who should be publicly named on this forum are those that ref ABA and above just as it has been said on here before that players that play ABA open themselves up to scrutiny.

Why would anyone even consider refereeing if clueless people came here bagging them. Keep doing that and noone will ref and then teams will have to provide their own refs, which is the way basketball in this state is headed.

The only opinions that referees should consider are those of their UIC's, evaluators and the like, players/coaches/spectators opinions are too biased to consider.

Reply #11023 | Report this post

BenHodges  
Years ago

Hey is Tim my brother?

Reply #11053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill is ok but i think that he needs to be reminded of the rules after last night incedent. wen a girl was kinda knock out and under the basket and he kept the game going. like he is a good ref and a nice bloke... but yea

Reply #11056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont mind all da refs sometimes they can be a abit favoury but most of the times they are good and theya ll know da rules well

Reply #11073 | Report this post

TH  
Years ago

m/vale could only hope that one day my whistle is blown on one of their courts! i'm well beyond the calibre of District basketball. i'm jst killing time at Mercedes whilst i wait for my NBL call-up...

for those pretending to be me - watch your backs. and my brother wouldn't know what a computer looked like, let alone know how to turn one on... so that person can also keep one eye open whilst he/she sleeps...

Reply #55267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754