media watch
Years ago

Beatty Beat Up

The article about Tracey Beatty in today's paper made for an interesting read.

Nowhere in the article on the WNBL website is there any reference to Jan Stirling, nor are there any 'broadsides' fired at either coach.

I think her comments have been taken out of context and the article is skewed towards vilifying Beatty unnecessarily.

Thankfully, Lucas has shown maturity by refusing to be drawn into it. Perhaps because he knows the intentions of the original article was not to insult him or the Lightning program, but more to highlight the positive change that Beatty's move has resulted in.

This is a player that was a strong leader for the Lightning for many years. She invested everything she had in the program, made many sacrifices, and did something than any other person would do if they were following their pursuits - she went somewhere where she would be valued.

The result has been very positive, as change can be. Every player knows that the right coach can have massive impact on your game, and I think she is an inspiration to every girl that has ever wanted to play but thought it was too late.

Her game has matured wonderfully after becoming a mother, and she is playing with a confidence never before seen.

Read the article on the WNBL website for yourself. It is not a potshot at her previous coaches. Especially as she cites the goal to be an Opal one day  the team that Jan coaches.

Tracey Beatty is not a vengeful person, and I would argue that this article is merely preying on the perceived major failure of Beatty's game  the mental side.

So let's hope Beatty sees straight through this  for it is ugly and unsportsmanlike to take pleasure from preying on the weaknesses of others. Adelaide fans want to see their players succeed  past and present.

Perhaps the REAL story in this lies in player management by coaches.

Topic #9743 | Report this topic

benj  
Years ago

I think the real story is Lucas wants a running team, and Beatty flat out couldnt out run stationary train. I think she has some talent, but just wouldn't fit the Lightning team. When she was cut from the Lightning she thought she still had plenty to offer - this has shown because she has been a reasonable player in another team - not a stand out thought that is for sure.

Reply #111298 | Report this post

Fish  
Years ago

Boti is a nob!!!!
His articles are always bias but this takes the cake.

All Trac said was that her game has improved in 18 months at canberra due to self confidence and confidence by the coach.

I dont think jan would be insulted by these remarks as she developed her game in the early days however big girls normaly take longer to develop.

Chris Lucas did not want her and it would be tuff to play for someone that does not back you.

Reply #111299 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

ACtually, Botis article stated it was in the Canberra TImes, the WNBL sitr possibly sanitised it.

Reply #111319 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Canberra Times ran the story on Thursday.

Here is the link to the article (not sure if it's the same one on WNBL).

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=basketball&story_id=539782&category=Basketball&m=12&y=2006

Reply #111325 | Report this post

maceweb  
Years ago

See the caps got up and by quite a margin 5 on 5 off subs is quite demoralising looks like boti and lucas need to come up with another plan to fire the girls up! Wonder if he shook Beatty's hand after the game i am guessing not. Dont know who they got next game but I am sure Mr Nagy and Mr Lucas can whip up some rubbish about them too.

Reply #111449 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754