Isaac
Years ago

Use of horns at NBL games

You know those plastic horns used by fans here and there? I believe the NBL has canned their use at NBL games.

I suspect it might stem from their overuse at Breakers home games where fans sit behind the visitors bench and drive the visiting coach absolutely nuts - earlier this season, Goorjian took a timeout in the centre circle so his players could hear.

Personally, I think they're great for use during opposition free throws and big moments in the game to build a bit of atmosphere. Too many or too much could be over the top, but they have their place.

What do you think about horns at games? Is banning them outright overkill?

Topic #9786 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

Wilt Chamberlain would be devastated to hear this news!

Although I think he used his more after the game!

Reply #111731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the air horns they use at the soccer.

I have been in front of a coupleof people using the horns at the basketball. It is very annoying. But when sitting away from them, I think they are good.

Reply #111732 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I say bring in soccer flare with flares that are set off by people wearing flares.

Reply #111741 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

Its give you something to distract the opposition players with, especially during free throws. Because most of the players can tune out to our taunts (and there are many) but the horns seem to be fairly affective.

Fell like borrowing a book whenever I go to games now ........quiet please

Reply #111749 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

why stop people from using them at all stadiums if they are only are real problem at one stadium, should be up to the club to decide whether or not they can be used in the stadium, kinda like with the cricket here, they make their own decisions about use of balls and horns etc

Reply #111753 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I think the problem is the onus in the past has been on the clubs to control the noise makers/generated fromt the crowd.

It's a case of one individual taking it too far and ruining it for everyone.

I remember people at the Powerhouse, Melbourne Park, Vodafone and the SNAHC being asked to refrain from using the horns or they would be confiscated. After people around them had complained - this I thought was a good way of handling it.

Reply #111765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People complained about the use of the horns by the Seals and other crowd members. Absolute rubbish, who the hell would complain?

Reply #111793 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I am quite dispointed. During the game we basically only used ours during fouls shots and its not like we are blowing it right into someones ear in front of us. But rules are rules. From what I was told on Saturday, the rule has always been around, but only got enforced for the first time in years on Saturday.
Next to go in no particualr order will be crying babies, clappers, thunder sticks, loud music, and the defence chant.

Reply #111796 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about slappers? Can we get rid of them too? (Might only be funny to Brits.)

Reply #111797 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

:-D yeah, slappers should definetly be banned!!!

Reply #111798 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

people who complain might be the ones sitting right in front of someone with a horn blasting in their ears,mmmmmmm not a fun night out

Reply #111799 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Hey #111732, just wait until they bring flares into the next game at the Dome!

Reply #111810 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

i dont have a problem with them used at most games...but they should definately be banned at the breakers games....i need to use the mute button while watching their home games...i dont know how the home fans put up with it let alone the opposition bench...it is just constant and enough to drive anyone mad...pity cos they are not a bad team to watch!

Reply #111817 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Love the horns...... as long as the person blowing them aint sitting behind me.

Thats the problem with them, they are going to be blown in the back of some poor persons head.

Ban em.

Reply #111828 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

What are you talking about Isaac and Skip, slappers should be encouraged!!

Reply #111847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Billo, ever been to Dalkieth in Scotland? You might like it...

Reply #111851 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Never stopped at Dalkieth (regrettably), drove through it a few times though, used to work out at the Gyle so I know the type you're talking about!! Another trip to Blackpool might be in order next year I think, or maybe a weekend in Essex...

Reply #111855 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I agree ban them,try sitting in front of someone with that noise in your ear all night,funny for the guy making the noise not so for those on the receiving end.

Reply #111858 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Dalkeith has nothing on Falkirk. As well as top notch slappers, it also features the highest quality Neds.

Getting slighty off topic now :-)

Reply #111860 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Solution to the problem, don't have people sitting in front of horn blowers, put the horn blowers in the front row of the east and west stands. Ideally have them change sides at half time so they are always at the opposition's end.

Ricey, it wouldn't work to have individual clubs make a decision on them as individual clubs would not ban them and create an advantage to the visitors when their own team plays away and is disadvantaged by a club agreeing to their use. It needs to be a standard ruling across the whole NBL.

Reply #111868 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dalkeith is like an open-air Centrelink office.

Reply #111874 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Ban all noise. No talking, no whispering just eveyone sit there quietly.

Dr. Chopper say harden the f*&% up!

Reply #111894 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Horns were being used in tonights game on fox between South/J Ingles vs Brisbane. I spose they could have been spread out a fair distance as there were SFA in the crowd.
So is it a league or stadium rule?
And horns behind the bench, probably can be outlawed, but in the crowd I'd say go for it.

Reply #112089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohhhh poor people sitting in front of the horn blowers.

Watch the game on TV then you bloody squares.

Reply #112114 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Isaac, I think this Google Maps image taken of Dalkeith supports your opinion of the place!

Reply #117573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nice find! They should've written "It's a trap!"

Reply #117577 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754