skip
Years ago

NH - Shane Warne Set to Announce Retirement.

From news.com.au

SHANE Warne is set to rock the cricket world by announcing his retirement from Test cricket.

The champion leg spinner, who is on the verge of taking his 700th test wicket, spoke to Cricket Australia's senior management last night and is expectec to make an announcement on his future tomorrow.

Im in shock. I suppose there goes my little hope that he might play in the world cup.

Topic #9806 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless this was text message it wasn't from shane!

Reply #111975 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

On another news website it also states that it is highly expected that Glenn McGrath will announce his retiremnt next week in the lead up to the SCG test.

Two absolute champions. If both are true, I reckon there will be a few tears over the next 2 games.

Reply #111976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If true, good on them both, for retiring while they were still near the peak of their games ... a massive hole to be left in Australian Cricket in which i can safely say will NEVER be filled.
Thankyou for the memories and all the glory u brought to Australian cricket. You will be sorely missed

Reply #111977 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah ten said its a dual media conference. Its a real blow and both so soon it will take the team and country by shock. Magill here your chance comes.

Reply #111979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or is this a setup to get better crowds to the MCG and SCG becasue australia has already won the ashes back

Reply #111981 | Report this post

youcouldberight  
Years ago

Sad news for us watchers of the game but fantastic also to see some players have a genuine understanding of leaving at the top and not as a "has been". Too many leave it too late in all sports. Thanks for the entertainment Warnie & McGrath

Reply #111982 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

111981 - As both matches are sell outs, I doubt it is any sort of publicity stunt.

Reply #111987 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Tait to come in?

Reply #111996 | Report this post

Rueben  
Years ago

the report on Fox news was something along the lines of

"Breaking News: Shane Warne set to announce his retirment from cricket at the end of this summer at a press conference tommorrow"

So at least he'll get his 700th!

Reply #111999 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Ledgend, bloody ledgend.

Reply #112027 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

taits just done his hamstring,

sky sports said hayden and langer are considering calling this series it as well

Reply #112086 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Warne retiring will leave a massive hole, but he retired from the one day game years ago and that hasn't stopped our domination there.

Stuart Clarke seems to be the perfect replacement for McGrath, MacGill or Cullen could step in for Warne, and if the likes of Langer and Haydon step down then Jaques and others seem ready to fill the void.

It all had to end some time, if there is a mass exodus hopefully the new squad can get their act together in time for the world cup.

I'm confident Australia's reign of terror will continue for many years to come.

Reply #112095 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

thomo, highly unlikely with Langer, he said earlier in the series he is "loving" his cricket at the moment and has no plans to retire for some time. Hayden seems as passionate about the game as ever so I doubt that is true also.

Also CA will be doing everything in their power to make sure the lot of them don't retire as they have publicly stated that they don't want a "mass exodus" of the champion team, but rather would like the retirements to be gradual over a period of years

Reply #112111 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Unless Tait can bowl leg spin, at 150km/h, I would say no 123abc

Reply #112130 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

He has retired, just heard it on Fox Sports News.

The Aussies will still dominate though

Reply #112168 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Its going to be hard for Australia to dominate now. We have plenty of batsmen around the place but no bowlers anywhere near the calibre of warne and mcgrath. Sure u can fill warnes spot with macgill but thats immediate pressure released onn the opposition. Mcgrath has no immediate replacement because atm australia has very slim pickings in the pace bowling department.

Thankyou warnie and mcgrath for giving me years and years of entertainment. There will never be another combination that strikes as much fear into all batsman without the ball travelling over 130 kph.

Reply #112174 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754