Bully
Years ago

This is a bit of a stupid topic i know, but would any1 on here ever consider trying to start a petition or website to retire the #23 from all basketball???

Just a question to think about cos if u look at alot of social teams
these days, all the idiots wear 23.

Have a good Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year.

P.S. I'm a Lebron fan but i still would like it to happen.

Topic #9814 | Report this topic

I have to say that is a great idea.
I'm sick of all the crappy players wearin the # 23 and thinking they are god lol.

Think of it as an everlasting tribute to Michael Jordan people.

He wouldn't want idiots who disrespect the game to wear his old jersey number.

Reply #112161 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

If thats the case, you would then have to retire other legends numbers

Bird #33
Magic #32
Wilt #13
Bob Cousy #14
Kareem #33

Come on .....thats the biggest load of rubbish i have ever heard

No PLAYER is that great to have his number retired worldwide

Reply #112164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he'd probably think less of someone suggesting that another couldn't wear a number as a tribute or through personal preference. It's all basketball. Currently it's also all school holidays, but oh well.

Reply #112165 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Warne wore #23 too! :-)

Reply #112166 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

WARNEY- HEY IM FINISHED SCHOOL, I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT EVERY ONES THOUGHTS WERE.

Reply #112167 | Report this post

I am not in favour of a worldwide 23 retiring. I wanted 23 when i started, MJ helped make basketball popular. But a leaguewide NBA retiring i think should be enacted... there's no other number you react to like 23 'oh he's trying to be Jordan' etc...

Reply #112170 | Report this post

TytsMagee  
Years ago

Maybe anyone wanting to wear #23 should phone and ask you personally... then you can judge them individually, and not have to make sweeping generalisations.

Im sure MJ would be much happier with the squillions of $$ that he makes from singlet sales.

Reply #112186 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Hahahahahahaha... what a thought provoking post - who gives a #### if some homeboy/MJ wannabe is wearing #23... OH i know - probably someone who deep down wishes they had it -... If some dumass wants to do that - good luck to them - it`s just a number - maybe we can contact the International Numbers Commission to retire 23 from all uses in that case... People will have to stop sticking their tounges out on the court soon as well???

Reply #112188 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Also we should retire layups, dunks, jump shots, driving to the hoop...because no one can do it as good as Jordan......

Reply #112190 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

From what I understand the only thing like this ever done was all NHL Hockey teams retired #99 as a tribute to Wayne Gretzky

story below

NHL Retires #99
Prior to Wayne Gretzky's final game, April 18, 1999, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman set a precedent and declared that there would never be another player to wear number 99 in the league. The announcement only confirmed what everyone already knew in their hearts -- there would never be another Wayne.

As Ice hockey is really only a North American sport it is do-able Basketball as a true international sport why would the NBL/ABA or social retire 23 for a player that never played it this country.

I would support the retirement of #10 in honour of Andrew Gaze and hope that would filter to all grades of Australia Basketball. The only draw back is FIBA number requirments at International competitions.

Reply #112197 | Report this post

nicll  
Years ago

a number dosent make a player.....the player makes the number......

Reply #112201 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

Kool just wanted a good friendly argument and its what it is.

I believe the NBA should do it.

Reply #112235 | Report this post

a cut snake  
Years ago

let the kids who want to wear MJ's number, wear it.

Reply #112241 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Man when i started playin the game....MJ's 23 wasnt even a option

As a PG, i went straight for No7

The Great "KJ" Kevin Johnson of the Phoenix Suns

The Kid was a gun....and he had massive hops to go with it

I still remember him dunking over Eaton of the Jazz

Reply #112253 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

We should retire the black and white umpires tops because I'm sick of all these arrogant umpires thinking they are top sh*t by wearing the same coloured top as Bully.

Reply #112259 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Yogee,while we're at it, lets also retire shooting the ball through the hoop becuae no one does it as well as MJ. The retirement of a number is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. MJ doesn't have ownership of that number that no one else is allowed to use it. Who cares, what level their game is at, number 23 is just another number like all the others.

Reply #112261 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Sure, Cedric Ceballos was a great player, but was he really good enough to warrant a world wide ban on his number?

Reply #112271 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I personally think that #23 ought be retired from all fields of endevour. Honestly, who ever uses it anyway?

i.e. the square root of 529 is approximately equal to 24.

(Mod: There've been a few good posts in this thread (I laughed at the Cedric Ceballos one), but this one gets the ball. Classic!)

Reply #112281 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Fez, if you remember KJ then you should remember his best dunk being on Hakeem from the baseline.

Reply #112285 | Report this post

LOL u ppl are classic, come to think of it I wear 21, Dominique's no. if n e # should be retired it should be his, I mean he beat MJ in the 1988 dunk contest i do believe

Reply #112329 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Let's retire all numbers, then all players can have a letter of the alphabet. Or another alternative is a shoe, thimble, dog, cart etc as in monopoly games. How silly!

Reply #112350 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

I do TR, but his dunk on Eaton was just as good

Apart from him, Mr "Killer Crossover" Timmy Hardaway's number wouldve been my second preference...lol

Reply #112361 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754