Anonymous
Years ago

Carlos Powell or Chris Williams?

CHRIS WILLIAMS
- 2003 NBL MVP
- led the Sydney Kings to their first ever NBL Championship
- Larry Sengstock Medal winner as the MVP of the Grand Final series
- reached double-figures in 29 out of 30 regular season games and recorded a 'double-double' in points and rebounds 25 times.
- twice named NBL's Player of the Month, and also won the NBL Player of the Week five times.
- averaged 23.5 points and 12.3 rebounds (not sure average assists)

CARLOS POWELL (so far)
- averages 29 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists
- player of the month for November, won NBL Player of the week three times

Chris Williams has been described by some as the best import the NBL has seen in the last decade or possibly ever, based on just the one season.

So who is the better player? Does the fact Chris Williams led the Kings to a championship make a difference? (whereas the Breakers may not even make the finals)

Topic #9835 | Report this topic

Anon2  
Years ago

Williams by a country mile. He was in the top 10 in both steals and blocks, averaged four assists per game, was a much more well-rounded ballplayer and a superior defender. He never had down games like Powell has had - the guy was completely and utterly unstoppable.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Powell is terrific, but at the end of the day he's getting his numbers on a crap team - Williams had shoot first ask questions later guys like Heal and Franklin to contend with on his team, not to mention a just coming into his prime Matt Nielsen. The fact that CW did what he did with all the talent on that Kings squad is testament to his extraordinary talent.

No question he has to be placed alongside Doug Overton as one of the greatest single season imports of all time, and without doubt he was one of the best imports in NBL history, period.

Reply #112473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The season is not over so u never know what Powell might do.. he might continue to have 50+ point games or he might go thru a down patch..

I think it's pretty safe to say though that he will be MVP for this season

Reply #112474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dunno bout by a country mile. You can't hold it against powell that the breakers aren't a contender. Consider the lineup Williams played with compared to the breakers now
Heal v Henare
Franklin v Olsen
Can't remember.. possibly sheridan v Wethers
Williams v Powell
Nielson v Pepper

U gotta give it to the kinds team there at every position but the 3 spot. I believe Carlos Powell is a better scorer than what william even was. He handles the ball better and shoots it better from long range IMO. They are both extremely explosive with great first steps and both have well above average post games.

Reply #112477 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I would take Williams cos i think he was better all round,he could literally do it all and carried his team to the title, but Powell is still very very good.
In my opinion the best import forwards to come to the NBL in the past 5 - 10 years are KB, Freeman, Wells, Davison, Williams, Powell, Tucker, Dave Thomas and maybe through in Abney aswell, i just havnt really seen Abney first hand but he seems to put up great numbers!

Reply #112479 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Davison ? Surely you're not mentioning "the jumping-jackass" in the same breath as decent imports, let alone standouts ?!!
and KB, was great to watch when on, but was similar to Farley - streak shooter with suspect D ... definately not one of the top imports.

Reply #112498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

might not have had the same impact as the rest but my personal favourite was leon trimmingham

Reply #112507 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I'd have them both as my two imports!

Reply #112537 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Bennett Davison averaged around 20 pts 10 rbds in a top 4 or 5 tigers side alongside Gaze, Copes and Bradtke, so he was a great player and threw down some AWESOME dunks!!
KB was awesome for the 36ers, he won a GF MVP, a NBL 1st team appearance and the 36ers won 2 titles in 3 years with KB with the 3rd year being the flopper Lowry year, in those 3 years he would have just about led the 36ers in points, rebounds and 3pt %, he was also great to watch play and along with Mee formed possibly the best import partnership the NBL has seen, so i say he is definatly a top tier import

Reply #112543 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I miss Carlos Powell. He was very entertaining and athletic. I enjoy his dunks.

Sadly Australia couldn't offer him enough money to stay somewhere. Hopefully he'll make the NBA one day.

Reply #167050 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754