bagwan
Years ago

wnbl in 2007/8

word is a lot of opals will be playing on home soil to get ready for Beijing next season.

Will Laura return?

Hopefully we could squeeze another season out of Erin before the big overseas contracts call!

Taylor back home to Melbourne?
Batgirl?

Topic #9847 | Report this topic

Bulldog  
Years ago

Also of interest is that the Chinese national team is pushing to be inserted in the WNBL for next season, but appears unlikely as BA is not convinced current clubs could sustain the costs long term.

Reply #112546 | Report this post

they should offer them some sort of pre season tournament.

i am sure there will be national round robins before bejing

Reply #112547 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

WNBL has suggested a Eurocup type event that could feature them and the local teams. But China wants to join our league.

Reply #112554 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

teams can't afford to just fly out to china twice a year!

The chinese women team wouldn't be able to come to australia every 2 weeks or maybe more!

Reply #112558 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

maybe base them here ? is it only for the season leading up to the olympics or is it a more permanent equation

Reply #112570 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Put them in and they pay for it.
An economy like that!!
Treat it as an export item.

The benefits cut both ways. From the interview with Caitlyn Ryan , the chinese would recover the costs on home games any way.

Our status goes up , and Tom Maher gets to spend some time talking English!!

Reply #112578 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

I think its a good idea if China comes in. We also have Bendigo coming in next season. Then Cairns in 2008. If we allow China in next season, why cant we allow Cairns in at the same time? If they are ready of course. It would make the league more appealing for sponsors and such with a 10 team comp surely?

Reply #112582 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Need a team from BRISBANE FIRST

Reply #112601 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I believe China would cover travelling costs for the first three years and have some serious backing from Chinese businesses to make the deal happen. As far as I know it is preparation for Beijing at this stage.

Reply #112661 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Sorry Dr Damage but there is not one on the horizon. I do agree with you though.

Reply #112722 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Like Dr Damage, I think we need to worry about getting the local representation more in order before we start thinking about China.

Maybe a Wollongong team, Brisbane, gee even a second Sydney team.

I personally think we are on the cusp of something great with the WNBL...people who want pure basketball and not all the "flash" associated with NBL will come to see the girls play, and like what they see. It's a damn good product!

Reply #112729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except when you watch Perth play.

If the league expands too quickly you will have clubs fall over from spiraling costs. And those clubs with some money, ie Canberra, Sydney and Townsville will just buy championships.

I doubt many, if any make a profit

Reply #112804 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754