smitty12
Years ago

Ingles is a Boomer for sure now!!

i have been saying this since the 2004 Athens Olympics that ma good mate, JiNGLES will be in the 2008 Beijing games...and i plan to be there to see him!! i dnt believe he's a Tony Kukoc as B-Goorj has described him, i say more of a Tayshuan Prince or Dirk!! i was at his first home game in Melbourne and will be there in China, and soon too the NBA.

Ingles to join Boomers squad:
Dragons rookie Joe Ingles can start being measured for an Australia representative uniform.

Boomers coach Brian Goorjian confirmed yesterday that Ingles, who seems certain to be named National Basketball League rookie of the year, will be in the next Boomers training squad and will make his senior national team debut on a tour of China next year.

"It's a no brainer," Goorjian said yesterday.

"Without a doubt.

"I knew he was going to be good and I was thinking more down the track, but I had no idea he would have the impact he's had."

The 20-year-old left-handed swingman took another step towards national selection with 28 points, five rebounds and seven assists in the Dragons' 107-94 win against Melbourne on Tuesday night, showing all the poise, composure and skill of a veteran.

That performance confirmed to Goorjian what he had seen and heard about the lanky South Australian, who has stepped from the Australian Institute of Sport to the NBL in a most assured manner, averaging 16 points per game, 5.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists.

Such has been Ingles' impact that Goorjian sees him as a possible pick for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, eventually forming a backcourt partnership with Brad Newley in similar fashion to the Andrew Gaze-Shane Heal tandem that served the Boomers for a decade.

"He's long and athletic and he's really exciting," Goorjian said.

"One of the things we've struggled with is having guys put the ball on the floor and create shots and he does that.

"The exciting thing is Newley has the ability to do that and you look at Ingles and the possibility of him playing with Newley as a guard combo.

"It's like Gaze and Heal. It's not necessarily having a point guard, but just having two great guards.

"He's exciting and he fits international play with his size and fits a spot we don't have right now.

"I like the way he handles the pressure. He's so fearless out there and he's not intimidated."

Goorjian hopes those qualities translate to the international arena and, while he's prepared to take Ingles to China as part of a likely young Boomers team, the Dragons rookie will still have to stand up during training camp to be considered for future selection.

Certainly, Ingles is in the mix for the best Boomers 12.

However, his selection for a tour to Europe and the Olympic qualifying series against New Zealand next year will depend on the availability of more experienced players and how Ingles handles the gruelling training camps.

"It might come down to do we take another big or an experienced guy or is he good enough to command his own spot," Goorjian said.

"Right now, he's probably on the bubble. He's right there with about seven or eight older guys, but he's different.

"I'm looking at bringing him into camp and see who he can play with, but this kid needs a real hard look."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20980850-23769,00.html

**also i'm sick of all the media saying he's a bloody 20yr old...he's only just turned 19 in October!!!

Topic #9870 | Report this topic

GrapeGripe  
Years ago

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it EC, as I posted the other day those in the know know, those who dont just dribble on about being happy that hes not playing for the sixers.

Its all academic though as he'll be a 1st rounder in the NBA draft in 2 drafts time.

Errr...write that down

PS that will be 2 little Tigers in the big show!!!!

Reply #112806 | Report this post

Years ago

EC went a bit quiet on Ingle's attitude after finding out what Smyth said to him before he scored that three.

Reply #112807 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

smitty12, Ingles = Dirk? Uh, no. I can kind of see your point with T-Prince, but Dirk's a 7'1 PF who can shoot the lights out from anywhere on the court. Not exactly similar to Joe...

Reply #112820 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

twenty four....i believe joe has a little more to grow and is why i say he's a dirk-type mould. he can shoot the lights out from anywhere on court; and i rekon u'd know it too. speaking to him, and at the moment, san antonio are interested in him...with the Hammer going with joe for a trip across to meet with them - Hammer looking at the coaching side of things there mainly though.

Reply #112834 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

Err Brian goorjian is putting a South Australian in the team....wtf has the world come to, thats not right how can a players that not from Sydney even attempt to get on the team.
Martin Cattalini's not good enough to break Sydneys ranks, Goodluck to Ingles staying in their could be hard while that idiot's incharge

Reply #112882 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hate to be a killjoy, but since you're playing state of origin rather than club of origin, Worthington is from WA, Barlow is from Victoria, as are Kendall and Smith. Hinder is the only Boomer-King actually from Sydney.

Reply #112894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oi smitty12
ill organise you a trophy for being joe ingles friend. congratulations
"my good mate"
"talking to him san antonio..."
"i was at his first game" blah blah blah

Reply #112908 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

yeh okay isaac I ment that most of the Boomers PLAY for Sydney, my mistake in not getting this message accross

Reply #112910 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

haha ok anon....cheers mate!!

Reply #112935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,
You ever seen those NBA players when they not on the court? Go to the states or when they come down here and see it. Some of those Cats have major entourages. They are always their Dawgs from back home. Security, Assistants, Stylists, Spokesmen, Trainers, Shooting Coaches, Finance Managers, PR Managers, Agents etc. etc. etc.

Enter this Smitty character hahaha. Good luck to Jingles.......... and Smitty

Reply #112939 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

so the possible backcourt of newley and jingles, can anyone say Pasadena again? who would have thought this would possibly happen... on another note, you can put me down for the security job haha

Reply #112940 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

imagine if danyle pearce was still playing bball instead of getting cut at state for having to attend footy training...any1 think he could have made NBL too?? that'd be pretty awesome if those 3 Pasadena fellas were in the NBL together. but pearcey obviously made the right pathway, and is excelling!! good on him!!

Reply #112971 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

and earning more money. Get on him for the Brownlow.

Reply #112979 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:41 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754