Anonymous
Years ago

State Teams

Has the U/20 State team been picked and if so have they played any practise games ?

Also,which players from this year's 18's are likley to back up again in Tassie and how do you think they will go under coach Mesecke ?

Topic #9892 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

under 18s cant get worse then last year can they??

Reply #113056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all you need to do is look at sasi boys and most of them will be in it and they will do shit

Reply #113059 | Report this post

Anon-e-mouse  
Years ago

(#113059) - You have made quite a negative comment - what is your understanding about the SASI boys if you assume that they "will do shit" Are there others that should be there? Do they have huge ego's and therefore do not work well together as a team? EG team of champions not a champion team!...please explain....

Reply #113065 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Here we go another SASI bagging. Please get over it!

Reply #113083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, after the 20's last year did so well in Perth, surley there would be some interest in this year ?

What about 16's ? The all conquering group that won 14's with Scotty B two years ago would surley have some very good players who have come along in leaps and bounds.

Reply #113090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The U20s Men of feb this year won the silver medal as they played well as a team and no real self centred egotists in it. Everyone got on very well all the time. Expect this years feb07 team to be likewise and with Hill as Coach, they will get drilled and should make medal rounds again!

Reply #113095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's more like it, you all need to take note of the last post and get positive with the team and coaches.

Reply #113100 | Report this post

Anon-e-mouse  
Years ago

(#113100) I agree with you - but I was hoping that the bloggers - 056 and 059 that made the initial negative comments - would have had something to back up their comments - Debating is what this forum is for and if someone has a negative statement they should back it up with some facts so we can understand their viewpoint - obviously though they didnt have anything else to add

Reply #113111 | Report this post

know  
Years ago

who's in the squad for the woman team

Reply #113117 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

abby,kayla.emma,niki,mia,
next lorne,then ???????

Reply #113118 | Report this post

joe blow  
Years ago

are they going to have anymore tryouts or is that it ?

Reply #113165 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

(#113095) is spot on the money with the 'they will get drilled' comment.

Reply #113198 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I wasn't sure if that was by the coach or the opposition?

Reply #113200 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

me, I don't think Abby qualifies for SA as she live in the ACT and doesn't go to the AIS? I know there is a BA rule about where you live. Its for so many months before the Championships but not sure on the exact wording.

Reply #113210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC fan, every team has one or two individuals who is capable of taking the next step irrespective of where the team finishes in a Nationals or who its drilled by.
We appreciate you believe other teams may be superior in matches and that occurs for many reasons not the least, height across the court.
IMO SA basketball teams generally suffer little in comparison, in the skills department, to say, Vic teams but rarely do they have the height to match up well. Population remains the key ingredient to success with larger states like NSW and Vic, increasingly Qld having a wider base to choose from and from within that base they have taller players to select.
Interestingly, the gap between average size players is almost non existent with the only exceptions being ocassional individual brilliance.
Every state loses first pick athletes to mainstream sports but the smaller states do it much tougher than most.
Consequently, SA results continue to be quite outstanding all things considered. As basketball, hopefully, continues to attract more first choice athletes and grows with the help of Olympic medals and World titles, population size will cease to be the dominating factor in success.
An illustration of such is the much vaunted Australian cricket team that has only one Victorian in it and the best player is a Tasmanian. Unfortunately SA has no representative in the current team.
Several states are looking at Victoria's dominance over many years in all age groups as being a past tense statement which can only augur well for basketball.

Reply #113214 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

(#113214) you really need to get a life, my comment was a joke.....

Reply #113233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC fan, no joke, Coach Hill is damn good and the mens team has four days of hell coming. Will sort them out good and proper!

Reply #113237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many left in the men?
How many in the girls?

Reply #113238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big raps on SA Metro U16 boys for 2007. Got size and skill to challenge. Might be able to challenge for the gold!!

Thoughts??

Reply #113251 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

So, in reply to the original question: Has U/20 Men side been selected yet??

Reply #113254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U20 Men final selection this sunday after a four day camp

Reply #113256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

113251 ,

how do you think they will fare against the NSW teams and the Vics ? Also WA Metro teams are always around the mark Any knowledge on teams south ?

Reply #113267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me why the Vic dominance keeps getting bought up when in the past NSW, and WA keep getting under the radar when it comes to Nationals ?

I understand that the Vics have been prominant, however if you look at 20's 18's and even 16's this year,NSW is clearly the team that should be looked at closley for the next few years. WA in the men's 20's will be damn tough and of course the defending champs will be super tough.

The vic power teams are long gone, others are now the focus.

Reply #113302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic are always the ones to beat.

Reply #113351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tide is changing my freind, beware the two blues !!!!!!

Reply #113369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt are playing at Nationals?

Thought they already did, just under the name of SA Metro!

Reply #113374 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Think the person was refering to NSW.

Reply #113376 | Report this post

Big Dog  
Years ago

WA Men with 4 AIS players and a very deep bench will be the team to beat in U/20s for sure. Bring it on.

Reply #113378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that is where the better players are from, ( fundamentally ) then why not pick them ?

Reply #113388 | Report this post

joe blow  
Years ago

interresting no one knows who was at try outs did anyone turn out ???/

Reply #113413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls team has been anounced

Reply #113416 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Ok whos in the girls team?

Reply #113419 | Report this post

know  
Years ago

or are they hand pick again

Reply #113570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting picked today. Will see if SASSI rules or the team gets picked on talent.

Reply #113735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would have to expect that the majority of the team would come from SASI as that's where the identified talent is - what's your problem with that?

Reply #113736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the team has been chosen

Reply #113748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

am i in?

Reply #113749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep

Reply #113750 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

NSW should consider anything but gold a failure, depending on whether any of their studs are unavailable due to College committments. Otherwise the gold is their's!!!

Reply #113776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys team

Andrew Braham
Phil Brown
Jordan Dodman
Trent Fildes
Michael Florence
Sam Hemmings
Ben Howell
Chris Molitor
Shannon Seebohm
John Wernham

Girls Team

Abby Bishop
Cayal Francis
Kara Hargraves
Emma Langford
Lauren Mansfield
Nikki Martin
Jess McPhail
Mia Newley
Kimberly Olsen
Nicole Romeo

I think?

Reply #113901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #113929 | Report this post

Jools  
Years ago

Given the WNBL season is still going and Bishop is in with a team likely to make finals surely she wouldn't get a release to play. Just a thought.

Reply #113931 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

(#113901)
I'd like to know how you came about that info?

Reply #113936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats deal with fish making 20s state? hes good kid and all, and has some talent, but is he gona be able to hold his weight in nationals? hes not exactly strong... maybe he can just swing them sharp elbows around and cut a few kids... otherwise, the team for guys looks strong

Reply #113992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The names Ben Howell and Andrew Braham don't ring any bells. Can someone tell us more about them (1st or 2nd years, which club, what position etc)

Reply #113993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braham could end up the best kid out of this team, he is one to watch!

Reply #113998 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #114005 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Braham is from da da da da STURT recently went on the SASI tour o/s playing in USA

Reply #114006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben is from Norwood, a 1st year, just back from the SASI usa and france tour. With his eye in is a strong shooter & scorer.

Reply #114011 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I have also been told that Braham only started playing B/Ball at U16 level. Perhaps it supports a theory that B/Ballers are born NOT made

Reply #114014 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

So Kargans and Harvey missed the cut ?!

Reply #114018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chief is a miss as well, havent gone with a lot of size on the bench, but safe to say its a solid team, they should do well

Reply #114025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im surprised kargins didnt make the cut but harvey... hes not that good hes a point guard who doesnt pass!

Reply #114029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gav Kargans should have been in. Looked at his ABA stats and far better than all bar Trent. Side is still a good one and will do OK.

Reply #114095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both guys who missed have other interests of the girly kind.

Reply #114112 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

think thats bit unfair comment to make sayin they have other interests in girls to deter them from state... from what i heard hill is looking for guys who can play more than one spot. bit unusual that kargans didnt make it, but to Hills credit, the team is solid and should be able to compete very well

Reply #114132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sam want will you do with yourself now that you did not make state

Reply #114285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sam who?

Reply #114324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see BSA has the teams congratulated & announced on their website already. NOT!

Reply #114327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe because there is a process which needs to be followed before there is an official annoucement to the general public. Not that people using hoops care about process

Reply #114332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did you find these rosters? Are they the correct ones or are they coming from your imagination?

Reply #114541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious that Sam Hemmings made the team ???

How strong is it then ?

Reply #114586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you have to remember that lots don't even try out at U20s because of work & uni & its a bad time of the year as well because they don't know what they are doing when the team needs to be picked. There is a lot of good talent not in the team & sure its not the best players across that age group that have necessarily made the team but they are available at the time. Surprise though with so many bottom age kids hope they can hold there own. I know a few of them are not team players & not good defensive players as well. Finishing off will be a problem, but certainly if egos are enough to win then we should be in with a medal. good luck boys!

Reply #114631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best team available is the best team. Guys who don't trial because of excuses are best left out and only committed players taken. Your either chasing rainbows or a 'I coulda been' and the worlds full of them.
In most things in life, talent is not enough so who ever made the team has it all over those who sit back and criticise and say "I coulda".

Reply #114698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see that someone has mentioned Bishop in the girls team. I would not have thought that she is eligible for SA. Since she is over 18 and had residency in ACT for over 3 months the only option would be for her to play for ACT. I know if she was still at the AIS it goes of her parents residency but when she left that went out the window. Im sure other states would definitely fight her eligibility because with her and Francis they would be unstoppable.

Which state do you think would be their major opposition??

Reply #114964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think you'll find its not about making excuses but realistically there are a lot more things in life than making a state team. I i made a state team interstate & had to pull out last minute due to work that I could not reshedule)many players & parents put too much emphasis on 'making a team' its not all that its cracked up to be. sure its great playing at that intensity but every player should always play at their best if they really are serious anyway most juniors should find that intensity at senior level, which is available to all juniors if they are up there with it. i wish people would stop making comparisons all the time & let us enjoy the game at what ever level we are at.

Reply #115338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't get this stuff, No one puts a gun at your head and says you have to try out for State !!!!!

Why the bitterness ?

Reply #115523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow i am very surprised at this team! you have a strong starting lineup then a very very weak bench! andrew should not be in the team let alone u20 div 1s, the man struggles to compete in u20s! im surprised florence and hemmings are in the team given their poor performances at u18 nationals. this team should do well if their starters play 48 minutes a game, good luck!

Reply #115680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well, well, well...

a real good process with 12 days to Nationals....

"re: State Teams (#114332)
Maybe because there is a process which needs to be followed before there is an official annoucement to the general public. Not that people using hoops care about process
Anonymous, 11/01/07"

BSA process is poor as usual. No timely recognition of the Girls or Guys representing this State. VERY poor form!! NO teams going then??

Reply #118202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is that the State team have three Southern representatives but yet Southern have one of the worst under 20 division one teams??? Do they not play?? Heath Jury doesn't want to play? They think they are too good to play??? Any answers?

Reply #119298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of there players may have missed games due to SASI tour, seniors, just not playing, etc.

Not that hard.

By your thinking Dodman shouldn't make the State team becasue Sturt finished 6th. Adn his 36ers team finished 11th.

I doubt State coaches even look at premiership tables over the summer season.

Reply #119310 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I don't know how you came up with that little theory!!! When did I say these three boys shouldn't be playing state because their team was shit???
Read the post before making stupid comments!

Reply #119317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you sure you are on the right thread Panther? That was your first comment on the entire thread - I'm not sure why you think the other stuff was directed at you.

Reply #119322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes talking to the post above his. Easy their tiger.... I mean panther

Reply #119323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

panther,

Nobody has said anything directed at you. What is your concern?

Or were you anon #119298.

Reply #119327 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I was anon (#119298) I just forgot to put my name in from a previous anonymous post.

Reply #119341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quote Panther "How is that the State team have three Southern representatives but yet Southern have one of the worst under 20 division one teams??? Do they not play?? Heath Jury doesn't want to play? They think they are too good to play??? Any answers?"

Does this statement not imply that you think that State teams should use team position as a tool for State team selection?

And if so, considering Sturts position on the table, does that not imply that Jordan Dodman should not make the team?

PS Nice backhanded attack on Southern. You are doing so well for yourself today Panther. Maybe you should talk to a/ members of your own committee about why you team isn't top. and b/ people who actually know somthing about State when complaining about your team not getting a position in a State team.

Reply #119359 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Once again anonymous your ignorance astounds me! Please point out to me where as you like to put it A) I complained about no South players being in the state team and B) where I stated that State teams should use team position as a tool for State team selection?
What I asked is if Southern have three State quality players, you would assume they would have a decent Under 20's team, and if you refer to my original questions you half wit, you would see I asked if A)Do they not play?? B)Does Heath Jury let them play?or C)Do They think they are too good to play???
Perhaps we should ask if you are a A)Moron B)Halfwit or C) Southern supporter...Most likely D) All above!

Reply #119366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther,

Then why the need to ask the question if the answers were obvious?

Your questions are quite obviously headed at attacking players in the State team. And the logical reason for that is becasue your kids missed out!

I may be all of the above. But I am at least 'not from South.'

Reply #119368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BOTH the Mens and Womens Teams deserve our full and total support.
That's all that matters now!!

Track their progress from here.....

http://nat6.basketball.net.au/FS_extra.asp?id=28398&OrgID=420

Reply #119407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All three southern players are not up to standard. Only Phill could make a case for himself if he was not a hog.

Reply #119607 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

The south under 20 team is a good TEAM which is why they are doing so well at the moment. Panther is doing a good job with those boys and good luck for the finals and the winter season.

South pride

Reply #120098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#120098 southern not south

Reply #120275 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

SA beaten 61 v Qld 94

Dodman only played 14 mins - was he injured?

Reply #120501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no just fouled out

Reply #120525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The results seem to say that the best players available should have been picked and politics left out of it. Maybe then we will have a chance. GO SA.

Reply #120748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By "best players available" I'm guessing you mean one or more of the Woodville Under 20 Boys? If not, would it be one or more of the Norwood Under 18 Boys from last year? Another predictable post bagging state selections in hindsight. Grow up!

Reply #120752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that you, Woodville U20 Boys?

Reply #120766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why isnt shannon playing? and why the hell did harri take his spot?

Reply #120910 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754