tiger165
Years ago

NYE Game

Just wanting to know what is happening for the NYE game. Is there something on after the game at the DHD

Topic #9900 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope

Reply #113124 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

VERY DISAPOINTING...

Friends who have taken their family along to the NYE game every year for the last 3. Did so again this year, NO-ONE informed them that there was not to be a party etc this year.

These are people who will attend only a couple of games a year (those people the club desperately needs to appeal to if they are to grow the base) who now have a bad taste in the mouth about The 36ers.

Reply #113279 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

IMO the 36ers were damned either way.

In previous years the game has been played at a later then normal time and then there was a mad rush to set up something for a countdown to the new year.

All well and good but a lot of people didn't stay and it obviously wasn't a situation where the 36ers were going to spend a lot of money to do it properly for a small amount of people.

I'm sure people would realise that the 36ers have had a NYE game since the NBL moved to a summer season. From memory this year would have been our 8th or 9th NYE game. Players, management and staff IMO would have appreciated the opportunity to enjoy the night rather then working it as they have for a long time.

On the other side of the coin I agree that this year's match was handled quite poorly. Even on Sunday Morning I heard radio adverts saying the game was starting at 7.40pm. Also my schedule supplied by the 36ers also had the game listed as a 7.40pm start.

I wonder how many season ticket holders arrived late expecting the later start time to find out the game was nearly over?

Also I think the club should have done a much better job letting people know that there was no NYE celebrations this year as everyone would have been expecting it.

Personally I preferred the early start. Got to see a great game of basketball then spent NYE exactly where I wanted to. What more could I ask for?

Reply #113283 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Here's an Idea.
I actually put this to a couple of the Sixers staff on Sunday.

Do it like the Clipsal 500 and have a proper after game concert.
Spend a bit of money and get in a big band like, Eskimo Joe, Evermore, the living end, someone well known.
The place is then almost certain to sell out. You give about an hour after the game for a stage to be set up down one of the ends of the court before allowing access to the court from the stands to the crowd.
Have a local support band come on about 10pm for 45 minutes and then the Main band at about 11:15 for 90 mins.
As well as a full house on the night, it get a heap of people in the door that may not have been to the basketball before and would hopefully come again.
Doesnt matter if the players hang around or not either.
Of cousre it comes down to having permission etc for the concert from the council.

Reply #113290 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

congrats Skip..simple effective idea. A great oportunity to fill the dome and to bring in the families and younger audience. When do you begin your position as marketing manager at the 36ers?

Reply #113292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great Idea Skip.

I'm sure everyone in the 36ers office, plus 90% of supporters have the same thought.

It's easier said then done though.

Reply #113297 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sorry for the structure of that last post, at work and have bosses looking over my shoulder today. It was very rushed. :-)

Reply #113299 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

Skip you are god

Reply #113301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754