Hot&Stinky
Years ago

Summer Bball - how to beat the heat

Just was reading an earlier thread from December about junior games being cancelled.
Thought we could discuss serious as well as stupid/ridiculous ways to keep cool when playing in hot conditions.

I'll start:
=Put refreezable esky ice block things down your jocks. (Also acts as a box - like cricket - in the low block/charge situations)

=Wave your arms wildly when defending to create a cool breeze for your teammate (works better in a zone defence)

How else can we keep cool? Thoughts?

Topic #9925 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I was living in Britain a few years ago. They for the first time in 100 years or something hit 38 degrees in London. They were advising people in the paper to put their bed sheets in the freezer just before they go to bed to help keep them cool at night.
So, I suppose the same could be doen for a Basketball Uniform.

Reply #113409 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Stay in the bar and flick the tube over to FOX or ESPN and order another Stella.

Reply #113411 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was in Scotland for a "heatwave" in late 2003 when it was 27-33 degrees each day. Was that around when you were there Skip?

The news was plastered with stories on the heatwave - quite amusing for anyone used to summers down here where a week of 38-40 is expected now and then.

Reply #113412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I was living in Stirling, Scotland in 2003

Reply #113414 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

That being me, sorry.

Reply #113415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Use a cooling vest before the game and during breaks in the game.
www.arcticheatusa.com

Reply #113417 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I just play nude. With my excessive bulk and sweat, defenders give me an extra two or three feet to play with as well ..

Reply #113420 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I was in London for that 'heatwave' in 2003, they still talk about it to this day! I've got photos of the fountains in Trafalgar Square full of people after work cooling off. My first year in Scotland it never got above 25, you could count the 20+ days on one hand so it's understandable how they would get excited about 27-33!

Reply #113425 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Melvin, too much info. Have you seen this clip before? I sure hope you don't run around the court saying "What's up, sugar?"

Reply #113432 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I wouldn't be putting anything frozen down my shorts.

Testicles would become Icicles!

Reply #113441 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That would explain your shrinkage problem Sturty.

Reply #113446 | Report this post

Hot&Stinky  
Years ago

nice one moses!

Reply #113458 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

C'mon Mo, you never complained when I was feeding you in the post ...

Reply #113485 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't make me lock this!

Reply #113486 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I wasn't meaning anything untoward isaac - was referring to having played on a team with mo many years ago ...

Reply #113501 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Melvin, now you've got me curious .....

Reply #113510 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Former co-worker, inaugural seaford champs ... and i'm not spaj ... can't make it any easier ...

Reply #113585 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Oh no, you were present at the great "player's wife refereed the grand final because no other referee was available and then complaints followed after said team won", followed by "you only get your trophies if you pay up and by the way, both teams will get them anyway" fiasco of the 1990s.

Reply #113591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:05 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754