Isaac
Years ago

Kings new import

Rumour seems to be Jerome Beasley.

6'10" and 108kg. 26 years old. Played a few minutes with the Miami Heat in 2003-04 after being selected in the second round of the 2003 draft.

Went to North Dakota (Div II) where he averaged 26.6 PPG and was named Div II Player of the Year by a few publications.

This might not be the man, but he fits the bill so we'll wait and see. Whoever it is could suit as early as this weekend I think.

Topic #9933 | Report this topic

Fezlington  
Years ago

Cool.......i reckon the NBL needs a SHAQ like Ctr in the League

BUT......i didnt want to see the bugger suiting up for a team i hate the most...lol

Reply #113483 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Ive never understood how you can have a salary cap, yet keep sacking and replacing players. After paying out their contracts shouldnt they NOT be able to afford another ringin. Surely the salary cap is setup at a "max per year" a club can spend on players, not spend what you want aslong as you sack 4 people a year till you get the person you want.

Reply #113496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only payments for games go towards the cap. If you cut someone half-way through the season, the pay-out for the duration is exempt. What specifically the club has to pay the player would depend on the contract between them.

Reply #113497 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

We must have heaps available under the salary cap if all of Wheeler's non attendance games can be used to pay someone else. This is even before Timmons came in. Why did the club not do something about replacing him earlier? Not to mention how many games Maher didn't play also.

Reply #113601 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, they weren't put on injury waivers. Also, Wheeler wasn't put on waivers earlier because his injuries at the time were minor (e.g., measles).

If we "must have heaps available", why were two players needing to offer to take a cut to fit Timmons in the team before they got him in to replace Wheeler?

Reply #113612 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh, and Beasley has been confirmed as the Kings new import.

As a senior at University of North Dakota (UND) in 2003, Beasley averaged 26.6 points per game, 8.9 rebounds, and shot 51.3 percent from the field, with a 73.6 percent free throw accuracy, which led him to be named NCAA Division II player of the year.

Reply #113613 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't know the answer to that, it just seems to me that there are so many restrictions in place when Adelaide want to do something yet the Kings have the freedom to do whatever they wish. Its not just this year, they change their team like they change their underwear. I can't get over last season how they just managed to scrape in on time with a new player so he fitted in the minimum number of games required to be eligible for finals.

Reply #113616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC,

That would be called good management. The Kings probably even undestand what the rookie minimum is unlike the 36ers coaches.

Reply #113618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh i think its good coaching on BG's behalf, as much as i hate to say it!! He's not settling for an import, he's proactive and he is making the kings better. From what i have read looks like this guy is gonna carve up.

Reply #113650 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Looking at his first game last night, he looks unfit and lazy and to be honest a bit of a dud!
Any bets on how long BG will keep this one???

Reply #113731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, the answer is because we didn't have heaps available.

In the past, we have tried to replace a lower points-value player with a higher one. Or so on.

The Kings have replaced an import (10) with an import (10). Not suggesting they should, but if the 36ers wanted to pay out Horvath's salary and replace him, they could. Easy.

What's interesting with the Kings is that with Barlow on injury waivers, they could still replace him I believe. There's a bit of a faint rumour that they could be considering Luke Schenscher to replace him. Could be contested, but Luke could be rated a three as the wording for a 10 point playing suggests that they have to be restricted (import) or have played in the NBL, then abroad, then be returning to the NBL -- Luke has never played in the NBL...

Reply #113772 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I guess it's true about the Luke rating. At first I didn't believe it but after looking I see that both Worthington and Crosswhite are rated internally at 3, and externally at 7. They are basically getting two players for the points of one.

Like most things in life it comes down to interprepation of the laws and obviously the Kings have done some homework.

By looking at the overseas returning player part to me it sugguests that Luke would be a 10. The part:

"If the player returns to play in the NBL after more than one season overseas, he returns as a 10-point player to any club, including the club he was with prior to leaving. This rating exists regardless of league played in or amount of court time said player was receiving but can be reviewed by the Points Appeal Panel at the Commissioner's discretion".

I just wonder what the definition is on the word "return". What does return mean??? Return to the NBL or return to Australia. I guess to return you had to once been there, and no NBL for Luke on his CV.

Reply #113783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If that ruling was the single definition available, then he would have to be a three point player as he wouldn't be returning to the NBL. And the stupid thing is that this ruling impacts a guy like Michael Kingma who would come back a 10 point player!

Still, though the rumour was out there, I don't see how the Kings could convince the NBL (well, convince fairly) that Schenscher could fit in under the cap as I don't believe that Barlow was being paid all that much.

Reply #113784 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I agree, under the definition of the law Luke would be a 3.

I guess the clincher in a possible Luke deal would be the last clause:

" Players may earn additional income from sources not linked to the club they are contracted to (eg. outside employment) provided all details have been lodged with, and approved by, the NBL."

Third hand sponsorship is huge over here in the Eastern States. This is the reason why rugby union could poach the league stars. Corporations aka "sponsor" supplementing the wage of the individual for services rendered.

Reply #113786 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:25 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754