Dee-mak
Years ago

Sixers away games on FOX ?

I was just looking at the Fox guides to check for Sixers games on Fox. This season I have only seen one Sixers away game and that was vs NZ and done by SKY. I know that Fox has shown some of our home games, like 2 or 3... but why no away games for Sixers? Last nights game vs Tigers would of been awesome to watch on Fox. I have sent an email to Fox sports asking them to put at least 2 Sixers away games on next season, Im sure they could work it out fairly between teams rather then just showing the boring Kings all the time. Ive had FOXTEL for 5 years and this has been the worst season for NBL coverage in that time.

Topic #9959 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

I'm pissed off because I only joined up in October last year for the purpose of seeing some aways games.

Reply #113752 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i think the issue is that foxtels sponship dollars comes from the easternstates, therefore to maximise there income from sponsors they show states that will give them the maximum exposure,

so as much is its crap and it is crap until airtime sponsors come from other states it aint gonna happen unfortunetly

Reply #113756 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Lets hope big Mal can put his foot up foxtels arse.
Foxtel have a responsibility to provide an equal service to all of its customers.
I dont have it cause they fail to do this. However if you do have foxtel you can complain about a bias of service. If enough people kick up a storm things might happen.

Reply #113757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do they have a responsibility? I don't know that they do.

It's a product and if you don't like it, vote with your wallet. If they schedule a 36ers away game and you don't have Fox, watch it at the pub or a friend's place.

If you do choose not to subscribe or cancel your subscription, send them a letter explaining why.

Reply #113761 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I would imagine they would have a certain amount of responsibility because it is a service that people pay for. Its easy to say vote with your wallet but if you are tied into a 2 year contract, then you shouldn't have to put up with a service that is not meeting your needs. Its a different matter if you go to a shop and choose to buy something after you have seen it because you know what you are getting.

Reply #113763 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

I wouldnt think that they HAVE to fairly distribute the games, they are a buisness and like someone said the will show the games that will make them the most money, its just the same as showing more mainstream sports and less of the sports with no money behind them.

Reply #113767 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The ones that make them the most money are the ones who pay the subscriptions.

Reply #113768 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Right, which says that Adelaide away games are not going to be a priority in a hurry.

They have no responsibility to you at all unless you signed a contract that specified a minimum number of away 36ers games. Or unless the NBL have a contract with them that demands that (doubt it would ensure equality, maybe a minimum 1-2 games per club if anything).

Without a contract specifying as such, a company is not legally obliged to provide particulars - yes, they will cater to subscribers where it benefits them as a company, but this will favour the masses which means (a) sports other than basketball and (b) cities with greater populations. That's not a responsibility to you - that's strategy to get the best bang for the buck.

Vote with your wallet when your subscription ends if it matters enough to you, or if you don't watch enough other TV (I don't really watch FTA as it is, so Fox would be a waste for me). Or write a letter now saying that you won't continue after this contract unless the situation improves, or would appreciate more Adelaide away games, and then cross your fingers. Depends on why you have Fox and what you get out of it, I guess.

I think that with solid bargaining you can get a good deal without locking into two years as well - you just have to be persistent in dealing with them.

You said: "you shouldn't have to put up with a service that is not meeting your needs" - why's that? As I mentioned, you signed a 24 month contract and nowhere was it specified that you would receive x away games per season. If they cover more Sydney road games at the expense of Adelaide road games, they'll could get a better return due to the larger population of Sydney - they're not going to care because EC in Adelaide thought she'd get more games of her team on the road - that's just how it works.

If all you want Fox for is occasional Adelaide road games, catching them at the pub is the best deal, IMO.

Reply #113771 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, you've gone a bit off track here. The argument was over not being satisfied with the service provided and the option of voting with your wallet was not an option when locked into a 2 year contract. I didn't look for a contract that specified so many Sixers away games. I never expected any more than 3 or 4 but 1 is disappointing. I also watch very little TV, in fact I can't even remember the last time I sat down to watch a program from beginning to end. There are other family members that utilise Fox but from my personal perspective, I do not get what I expected from it.

Reply #113778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, you can vote with your wallet at the conclusion of your contract. Just like someone unhappy with their internet service today might not be able to quit their contract until the end of the month.

At the very least, it would be worth contacting them to register your opinion now, however.

My other comments we relating to the use of the word 'responsibility' - unless a contract or promise specifies a need to provide particular programming, they have no responsibility to you as far as content goes.

BTW, this is of no use to you now, but there's no need to get locked in for 24 months. My dad only got Fox to watch the Breakers home games and talked them down to a 12 month contract, ability to pause the account for three months (think: during the off-season), no setup (I think) and a low monthly rate.

Reply #113779 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

I agree with the sentiment of little Adelaide road games, but I think this is a problem with the NBL schedule rather than Foxtel bias. This is the first year where 1/3 of our home games have been on Wednesday nights in previous seasons we have generally travelled on the Wednesday game hence more away games shown on Fox. It would be more pertinent for our supporter base to have them commission more away games mid week this would improve the opportunity of it being shown on Fox.

Reply #113780 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I believe that Fux has an agreement with the NBL to show each team 3 times during the season.

I think that the SKY games count for some of that and i am one of the many happy to watch Carlos Powell, Oscar and Vukona each week.

Like all things you cant please every body.

Reply #113781 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Shame that the 36ers home games being on Fox aren't all that useful for our season ticket holders.

Reply #113782 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I know this isn't to do with Fox but this is something I've noticed. The Sixers schedule is hopeless as far as being shown on "NBL on 9". We've only been on once. Yesterday was the fourth time the Sydney Queens had been on in a row and they've been on about 7 times over all. It really should be called "Sydney Queens on 9". The problem with this is there is no way of making it equal because they have to show what fox is showing on Saturday. And as far as Foxtel goes, if you only want it for the Sixers your much better off going to a pub and watching them (like Isaac said)until they improve their coverage of the 36ers.

Reply #113800 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Anyone heard of Utilitarianism??

Reply #113804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hell yeh, have you seen them live?!!

Reply #113809 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

there only requirement is quote "up to 3 live games around" no mention of teams of spreading it around

Reply #113847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thomo, zero is "up to 3" too. ;)

Reply #113850 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

There is no shortage of Sixers games on Fox, the only problem is that they are home games. Isaac, because of this I don't understand your reasoning behind the population argument. I am happy for Fox to show games in Melbourne and Sydney, as long as they are Sixers away games. Fox seems to like Adelaide for telecasting the games, but that is no good for Adelaide fans when it comes at the expense of showing their games interstate.

At this point I invite anyone who has had any telephone dealings with Fox and tell me your thoughts on that experience. I personally would not waste another minute of my time talking to incompentent employees who have a left hand that doesn't know what the right hand is doing. In fairness to these people, its probably the quality of training they are given. I had Foxtel connected in the 1st week of October last year and part of the deal was a $50 Coles/Myer gift voucher. I had an official letter from them promising to deliver it within 4 weeks of installation. 6 weeks later when it didn't arrive, I called them. At 1st they had nothing on their records to say that this was due to me. I faxed them a copy of the letter and later that day they called to acknowledge that it would be sent within the next few weeks. 3 months later, 5 phone calls later and communication with approximately 12 staff members, someone was finally able to tell me that they stopped giving out gift vouchers as Coles/Myer had pulled out of a contract with them 6 months earlier. Please note the letter I received was dated some 3 months after they stopped issuing these vouchers. Each phone call took approximately half an hour of my time because no one knew anything and had to keep going away and putting me on hold so they could find out, only to come back and tell me something incorrect. The final call made only 3 days ago resulted in no gift voucher but this month's subscription would be free. This was an acceptable solution because a month's subscription is worth more, but so frustrating that no one until now was able to advise this.

Isaac, I hope you can see why I have a reluctance to make another phone call. And yes, in 2 years time, my wallet will do the voting.

Reply #113863 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds terrible.

I had a battle recently with Telstra but persisted and they gave me $500 credit (more than they were meant to - clowns). Don't take it lying down - pester them and don't give up. Dell screwed me around with a delivery in Scotland and I didn't let up - end result, $600 PDA for nothing. For everyone that kicks up a fuss like you, there will be 10 or more who just forget about it. Here, the internet is power - from now on, searches for "foxtel incompetent" will lead people here - search for it now and you'll find people complaining.

Now, as for my population argument, here's a list of 36ers games on Fox, excluding the single 36ers road game which was courtesy of Sky in New Zealand when Adelaide played the Breakers.

36ers vs Kings
36ers vs Dragons
36ers vs Razorbacks
36ers vs Razorbacks
36ers vs Bullets
36ers vs Tigers

Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane. Big cities tuning in to watch their teams on the road. Doesn't necessarily match up with the experiences of other teams/cities, but still interesting.

Also interesting:

Dragons have eight road games on Fox (11 all up). Kings have eight road games on Fox (14 games all up). Razorbacks have six road games on Fox. Taipans have five road games on Fox. Crocodiles have five road games on Fox. Wildcats have five road games on Fox. Hawks have five road games on Fox (10 total). Tigers have five road games on Fox (12 altogether). Bullets have four road games on Fox (eight all up).

Breakers have one road game on Fox, but 15 total, courtesy of Sky.

Adelaide 36ers? - one road game on Fox. (And it was provided by Sky as part of their coverage of NZ games.)

Reply #113869 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

In fairness to Fox, the Sixers haven't provided too much competition in road games over the last few years. But then again, the Razors have offered even less.

Given that Adelaide v Perth is supposed to be one of the great rivalries of the NBL, it is rather unusual that they would not think to cover at least one.

Reply #113878 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

EC, I had a phone query last week regarding increasing my channels and I found the bloke to be very helpful and came away happy. I've always had helpful service provided in fact.

As for your situation, that just flat out sucks and I hope they did something to make up for it

Reply #113886 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Lockstock, the difference here is you were providing them more business. They were excellent when it came to signing up with them, its the after sales service that I found questionable.

Reply #114020 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

Going by some of the things you've said on this forum I'd find it hard to have a conversation with you too EC :)

Reply #114023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:39 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754