AK-47
Years ago

Angela Marino to Adelaide Big Mistake?

Rumour has it that Angela Marino may be joining the lightning for next year. Big Mistake IMO. Adelaide have a good string of guards in Foley, Phillips, Lindsay, Ranford and Lorenzini. Why bring in Angela Marino? At times playing for Sturt she seemed to demand the ball, drive and then chuck up an uncontrolled shot and miss, leading to 2 easy fast break points to the other team. Although she did win the MVP and started for NZ in the World Championships. I also heard a rumour the Marino and Erin hate each other. That would surely muck up team chemistry if this did occur. Just wondering every ones thoughts on this one.

Topic #9971 | Report this topic

The Journo  
Years ago

I'd say Marino will play for Adelaide only if Phillips moves to greener pastures on the east coast..

Reply #113844 | Report this post

Lightning Fan  
Years ago

Ranford and Lindsay wont be there either

Reply #113845 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

watching them on Sunday there seems to be absolutely no love lost between them (Phillips & Marino)

Reply #113846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe she will return because her Dad does own the team.

Reply #113851 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Astute observation 113851 - I like the way you think.

Reply #113854 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The family harmony has to be considered here. How awkward would it have been for Vince Marino yesterday having to watch his daughter competing against his team.

Reply #113858 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

if vince is a fan of the game then he wouldn't care where his daughter plays, from a coaching standpoint why would Chris bring Angela to the Lightning? she is an average WNBL player and all it would do is be a poor attempt to kiss the bosses butt. Angela coming to play for Adelaide would ruin her reputation as a legitimate bench player and look like the spoiled rich girl whose daddy bought her a basketball team. Angela dont come play for Adelaide too many negatives off court.

Reply #113867 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

the lightning need to concentrate on trying to lure the likes of cayla francis, emma langford, mia newly and martin back to adelaide before looking at at ang IMO

Reply #113870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mmm... I say ' Why Change a good thing!! Just because Vince is in control... I think Angela has to really earn a SPOT to Play in the Team!! But Good Luck!!

Reply #113872 | Report this post

davoice  
Years ago

If you look at Angela's results an interesting fact arises - when she plays against any team except Adelaide she has good stats (maybe because Adelaide players have seen her too often in the local comp). When she played for NZ again she had good stats until she played Australia and then she gets destroyed by the likes of Harrower and Poto.
AK-47's comment about 'demanding' the ball at Sturt is not far off the mark. Even at u14 and u16 level the coaches allowed her to do her own thing often to the detriment of the team. Maybe if she had been controlled as a junior she would be a more balanced player now?????
IMO if Adelaide recruited Angela it would be a serious mistake and poor judgement on behalf of the Coach (unless of course he is given no option)!!

Reply #113882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

davoice,

"To the detriment of the team"?

From memory either 3 or 4 State Championships in those 4 years, medals at 2 Under 14 Nationals, runner-up at National Junior Classics during those years. I reckon her teams performed pretty well. Get your facts straight before you davoice your opinion next time.

Reply #113885 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

totally agree with u patto... Cayla francis and a few of the other AIS players would be great to have back playing in Adelaide.

Reply #113887 | Report this post

davoice  
Years ago

Anon please don't be so precious. I don't deny the results in junior comp, however, there we other players in those teams who were frustrated at the fact that the coaches allowed her to do her own thing at times when games were there to be won. My comment was that "IF" she had been more controlled (by the coaching staff) as a junior then possibly she would be a more complete player now. You still cannot deny the less than average stats when she plays against Adelaide or Australia.

Reply #113890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a rookie in the WNBL Marion averaged 17 points per game when playing for Tom Maher.

Maybe her stats have more to do with how she is handled by the coach than just her ability.

On Sunday all the Perth players looked disinterested, Marino included. In fact on Sundays performance you wouldn't have Carly Wilson in your team either. And I for one would think that she could make the next Olympic team.

However in the ABA Final, Marino out played both Ranford and Lindsay.

Reply #113895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

davoice,

I disagree and as I say the results at this level and subsequent years speak for themselves. "Controlling" her as you say would have stifled her competitive nature and been detrimental to the teams she played on. Remember also that she only every played on teams with 1 or 2 other impact players and so had to do more on her own. This may have annoyed some of her team mates who had trouble accepting their lesser roles, but it got wins and championships and that is the main aim of team sport. I am not saying that some mistakes were made (no coach ever gets it 100% right) but what you are saying is simply not true. She turned out to be a very good player who has achieved great things at junior and senior level, and her teams were always very successful.

Reply #113896 | Report this post

Blaze of Glory  
Years ago

The other interesting fact is that the coach - Chris Lucas does not rate her.

He has said previously that she will never play for Adelaide.

If he signs her you can be assured it is with pressure from the owner.

Guaranteed

Reply #113897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who says that Angela would even want to play for Adelaide? Sure its close to her family etc, however Angela is a very hardworking girl and she sure doesnt look for free rides into things!!

Reply #113898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaze of Glory,

Angela has alraady played for Chris. Twice.

Her coached her as a bottom age U20 in State and won a Gold medal.

Her also coached her in ABA at Sturt and won an ABA Championship.

Get your facts straight.

Reply #113899 | Report this post

Blaze of Glory  
Years ago

Anon my facts are spot on actualy
I am aware he has coached her before and that is the reason he does not rate her!!!!

He has coached her and had the chance to sign her while coaching at the lightning but was not interested.

Also I think you mean "He coached her" not "her coached her"???

Chris Lucas - not Christine

Reply #113905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaze of Glory

I wouldn't rate 2 championships either.

Reply #113908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if he did rate her, then why is she not playing in adelaide?

Reply #113922 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

Exactly im sure that her style of play would not be suited in Adelaide. Chris Lucas obviously doesnt want to sign her and doesnt rate her very highly. If marino did come to Adelaide would she get court time and if so how much?
IMO if Lindsay and Dee arent there then the guard rotation would be Phillips, Foley
Lorenzini, Cannon.
Then hopefully throw in a guard from the AIS.
Your thoughts?

Reply #113926 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Wait Wait Wait. You're all comparing her to others for a POINT guard spot.

She's NOT. She is as pure a shooting guard as you'll get. (Same mistake is often made with Heal.) She has an awful soft loopy pass, and has never seen a shot she doesn't like.

She presents a coach with some management challenges - so does Lauren Jackson. In fact isn't that the coach's job, managing the players and personalities to get the best as a team.

davoice expresses an ignorant opinion about what her coaches should or shouldn't have done in U14 and U16s. I say ignorant because davoice wasn't there. I believe I know what went wrong in that age group because I was there - and I'm not going to share it with the likes of davoice.

Reply #113935 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

Yes you are right. She is a shooting guard but who would be your shooting guards out of Lorenzini or Cannon?

Reply #113961 | Report this post

davoice  
Years ago

I find it amazing at the venom in the replies from Anon and Sector 7G. I offered an opinion. Unfortunately when we make comments under an alias people assume that we do not know what we are talking about, do not have basketball experience or that we were not there to see what happened. Anon and Sector 7G appear to be personally involved (at some level) in their defence of Angela. At no stage have I said that she was not a talented player, but, that her talent does not appear to have been channelled towards her being a more "COMPLETE" player. Again, I stand by the facts that her stats are POOR against teams that know her style and how to shut her down (Adelaide and Australia). Readers should not be so precious in their defence of people and should look at ALL the facts/stats.

Reply #113965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

davoice, not being precious, and yes you are entitled to your opinion, no-one disputes that but you are wrong! The two coaches in question were from memory Lindsay Haylock who medalled 3 times at Nationals, and Steve Knight who has done it all! They did much more right with Angela and the teams on which she played than wrong. Angela is not a complete player and anyone could be more "complete" if they did it a second time around, but she is a good player at NBL and international level nonetheless. The players you are saying know how to shut her down (eg Harrower, Poto etc) are better players so there are no surprises there. No venom just disagreeing vehemently your opinion. Nothing personal!

Reply #113968 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

wow i cant believe anyone could think she wasn't a shooting guard. hence the amount of "shooting".... i know you know what i'm getting at.

Reply #113969 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

davoice, Adelaide and Australia were arguably the best teams in the competitions when she played them. Other "complete" players probably had bad games against the Gold Medallists and eventual world champs!

Reply #113974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thedoctor,

Couldn't agee more. Look at Carly Wilsons game on Sunday. Hardly a great game, but she is a great player.

Reply #113981 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Yes. Carly has continued to put up good numbers for Perth during a tough year. Just thinking if Marino was taught to play in the point guard position that would surely make her a more complete player. Could she succeed in that position?
Your thoughts once again.

Reply #113987 | Report this post

colonel clink  
Years ago

lorenzini over cannon - with the limited time both have had - lorenzini has delivered.

cannon has played div 2 - college ball in usa

lorenzini - is in sapphires, played in 2 champs at dandy (albeit off the bench) and has been very patient off the lightning bench for nearly 2 seasons.

three pearler moves by erin L on the weekend showed her class

(3 pointer, drive with reverse lay up, 3/4 court baseball pass / assist)

Reply #114001 | Report this post

colonel clink  
Years ago

ps - the large amount of good the marino clan has done for basketball here - good luck to angela if she plays here.

what her dad has done has been fantastic - we are on track for a championship season here.

who says angela isn't happy in perth anyway - starter there - if she made the roster here it would only be a deep bench spot.

who's to say she would not be at bendigo ?

Reply #114002 | Report this post

colonel clink  
Years ago

put down your glasses - this was on ozhoops

"O'Brien listed Wilson, Carr, Marino, along with Melissa Marsh, Christine Boyd, Liz Cooke, Jasmine Finnigan and Melinda Bartlett as "required players" for the Perth program for season 2007/08. "

Reply #114010 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

mmmm interesting to hear that they seem to rate her highly in Perth.

Reply #114012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannon is a star if given the chance. A genuine point guard - you will never know if she will shoot, pass, or penetrate. Played Div ONE college as a starter, went to the NCAA Champ tournament, broke school records for assists etc etc.

Almost led Tigers to a Prelim win over Sturt by bringing Tracy into the game like no other has.

I like Erin but Leah is a genuine point guard.

Reply #114016 | Report this post

colonel clink  
Years ago

cannon is a local star - but i am not sold yet - needs to show her stuff to me more yet

oral roberts are a mid range div 1 team - she has done a lot more than me with my basketball career - and deserves her dues - just need to see her more

hows her fitness?

she strikes me as a stand out ABL level player - but middle of the road WNBL

IMO

Reply #114026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From my observations good enough fitness to contain a good guard. Deceiving body shape, but good body shape for a point grd. eg Harrower, USA guards - stocky, nuggety.
Not getting much (any) time with the Lightning but maybe they need to take a closer look at her next ABA season.

Reply #114039 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Maybe Adelaide can get Marino on the cheap side?

But I think Vince has to work on Francis AND/OR Bishop for next season, I see a dynasty with those to in the paint.

Reply #114096 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Definitely! I have seen both of them play and they look to have an enormous amount of talent.

Reply #114103 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

i agree. i coached francis at nationals last year and she was the best kid goin round in australia for her age, and i have coached against abby. that would be awesome if they could both find their way back to adelaide

Reply #114111 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Pity Abby spent this season elsewhere but hopefully she'll be back in lightning colours.

Reply #114113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More the pitty that Abby bad mouthed the club and the coach.

Reply #114116 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Did she? What was it that she said?

Reply #114119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll put money on it, Angela will play in Adelaide this year. Common sense doesnt run in the family. Try saying no to Vince, lol. Come to Whyalla and see how well thought of he is, and the family for that matter.

Reply #130788 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Anon 788 What a patheitc reply!! Do you really think he cares what you think? He is successful, I would guess you are not!

Reply #130794 | Report this post

Kevin 07  
Years ago

In the Know it very much depends how you judge sucess really. IMO I have been very sucessful but I know that he hasn't.

Reply #201241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754