Anonymous
Years ago

Locked: Magic: good or bad for district?

Does having magic in the comp enhance the district comp or are they a nuisance?
Should district clubs only provide teams and players for district comp?

Topic #10416 | Report this topic

booga  
Years ago

(Mod: Baleeted.)

Reply #119696 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

That they came into the competition are just used a bunch of Woodvile and West players has done nothing for the numbers of teams or players.

If they had of entered non-district kids then OK. But they have only managed to further decrease the level of competition.

Also, the standard of attitude and behaviour of some member is not up to scratch.

Reply #119704 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

vader u and i agree for onces
the fact is some players were playing div 1 for either club and then go to magic to play div 4 how is that keeping it an even comp. and has magic been looked into for poaching? how else did they form the club?

Reply #119717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wheel is slowly turning. The better players that played div1 are leaving or have left. Magic is a club that has done nothing for serious basketball, in fact as has been said they weakened teams. Stick to social ball as that is where they were good. District is for players who want to achieve at a high standard. District clubs also have lower grade that are for people that want to play but not the highest standard. You don't see district clubs poaching from magic. There are issues with magic that the community know about and the fact some magic people are either turning a blind eye or hoping things will die a natural death show magic is not a fit club for young players.

Reply #119725 | Report this post

Magic supporter  
Years ago

I agree that some of the older players U18,U20s did come from other clubs but their younger age groups are dominated by kids that have not played club level basketball before.It doesn't matter if we have 1,3 or 30 basketball clubs in the Western area of Adelaide we should all be respectful of each other & just be proud to play the game.If you were a part of the club you would know that being a smaller club they look out for their players in a way not seen in larger clubs.They have dedicated coaches & this all provides a family type feeling that can be good for younger players as they start the game.Magic has only ever been good for my child & as to the reference of a "sex cult" ..what the..?? Wierd,perverted things can happen to all people,at all times,in all situations,potentially in all clubs so don't think that Magic players/families have an association with the club for any other reason than it's a great club to be a part of.

Reply #119728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic should be social, nothing more or less and district should be for the district clubs only or else scrap district and lets all run around paying low fees and achieving nothing!

Reply #119768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Whoa there! No more of that!)

Reply #119816 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

I don't believe say things this on this or any other form is good for the sport, club or the kids. Lets stick to the topic and leave other stuff out.

Reply #119817 | Report this post

good one  
Years ago

Ditto!!

Reply #119852 | Report this post

been around  
Years ago

magic was started by adults for political reasons against woodville and west.

i do not think it was really started in the best interest of kids ball in the nw suburbs

woodville and west hardly needed another club in their catchment area

Reply #119875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both woodville and west have felt the loss of numbers from the magic debacle which was a short sighted BASA decision. In truth, BSA need to sort out zones and what constitutes a district club.

Reply #119951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Adelaide Uni, UniSA Flinders Uni & Torrens Valley?

Think everyone is quick to jump on the new team in the competition and some people apear to be stale about it. If people were happy at their 'real' district clubs, then why would they go to Magic?
Give them a break, they have every right to be in the comp as much as the next team does.

Reply #119978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide Uni, UniSA Flinders Uni & Torrens Valley are prople that want to play together and they were not poached from established district clubs. Stay social as that is where you belong magic.

Reply #119988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO no one should be in the district comp other than district clubs. Otherwise its the dog's breakfast it has now become.
Some consider div 3 and below a sub district comp but district must be preserved as the highest level comp or it will continue it s downward slide where the bigger clubs take anyone and run to Div 5 with parents coaching.
Many of the so district clubs have way to many kids and to call it district level is a joke. Having non district clubs like magic just continues to downgrade the comp.

Reply #119991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you saying only member clubs should be playing? I don't play or have any affiliation with Magic, nor have I even played against them-I play Div 2 mens, they aren't in our comp, but why shouldnt they play? If they wanted to play for West or Woodville they would but they obviously don't so get over it already.

Reply #119998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair question.
District clubs charge relatively high fees at junior level and they are far in excess of what you pay in a non district club. District comps are meant for district players and social comps for social players. When mixed, feelings run high on both sides. District clubs charge over $200 bucks each season to play and parents could ask why do I pay this when I can play district but pay social subs?
Further, the district comp is weakened by social admissions which pad out rather than extend the comp.
BASA was short sighted in allowing social clubs district status and if they, social teams remain in district, then district clubs would be within their rights to expect the social clubs to charge the equivalent fees as district clubs so that social sides don't get freebies which perpetuate their existence.
Having social sides inside district catchment areas also lessens the chance of attracting lower grade kids to district clubs where they get the chance to improve with better coaching and trainings with the higher grades.

Reply #120010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is that BASA agreed to let Magic in on the grounds that they wouldn't use players from other clubs to fill their teams.

But obviously Magic went outside of this and have not added anything to BSA, but rather have weakened already struggling clubs.

This only increaes the disparity between the higher and lower clubs which is bad for basketball.

For juniors BSA should run a Div 1/2/3 comeptition, with 8 teams in each garde. Clubs should be made to qualify for these grades with only district clubs eligible.

All other teams which don't qualify for these grades should play in a reigonal competition which magic and Torrens Valley can play in.

Reply #120013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where exactly is "Torrens Valley"? Is it an actual place?
Nothing against the club, just always think that whenever they are brought up......

Reply #120027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic have had to start at the bottom and work their way up. They have had to end up either first or second for that season before allowed to go up to another division. If they wernt up to the competition they would still be playing div 4 or 5. I wish them well, stop complaining they are in the comp, and just deal with it.

Reply #120031 | Report this post

no comment re magic and thats that

Reply #120042 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

with all the decant players that the social team had now leaving is there any point having them in the comp? to quote one of their players that is leaving "we weren't learning anything at training and it was getting boring beating teams with out trying. i have lots of trophies but they don't mean much because of the grade we were playing in" they are leaving to play at higher levels that the social team can not and will not be able to offer

Reply #120043 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Decant players ? liquid players that they put into a glass ?

Reply #120072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melvin, most are drips and belong in bottles tho!

Reply #120086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sooner that magic goes social the better. Someone should stop pretecting people and let the basketball community know what is really going on.

Reply #120096 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

what do u mean anon with "what's really going on"

Reply #120097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason why some people are leaving and some things if mentioned the post will be deleted. They are true though.

Reply #120101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MAGIC: good or bad for district?

magic mushrooms are good anytime

Reply #120103 | Report this post

Jacky  
Years ago

Is this basketball snobbery at its finest or just a case of ruffled feathers? I play for a 'non district' club, and I certainly don't see myself as a 'social' player. Our so called 'social club', that is ruining the standard of district basketball managed to win two priemerships in the womens comp last season (div 3 & 5). We have no juniors and we have never poached players from any other club. Does this mean by proving ourselves and winning two premierships in one season we are lowering the standard of district basketball? I played against the Magic women's team when they first entered the comp in Div 4, and yeh it was tough and they are a very agressive team, but we had refs to control the game, just like any other game. To be honest it actually felt better losing to them by 20 points than beating some of the other district teams by 20 - I know it toughed me up! Maybe some district clubs need to start looking after their players a little better and they may not go elsewhere.
Are people's noses out of joint, because non district clubs are becoming more and more competitive? Rumour has it that the University sides are going to join together to form a Div 1 side - mmmmmm wonder what will happen when they start winning games.

Reply #120152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacky you are missing the point. No one worries about magic being in the comp. What they don't like is how they went about it. Div1 players at under 20 level are a dying breed as girls, uni, work and other things start to take over. Magic took players from established district clubs and weakened the teams they took them from and did not make magic strong enough to make div1. Both lost out. The players that want serious ball are now leaving and magic goes down. The district clubs trained these guys to the standard they are and magic just seduced them away. Social competition can be as hard as district game so no one is saying they should not be there. It is not a case of snobbery as you put it, it is disappointment in losing players you have nurtured since juniors.

Reply #120163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do many think Div 3 and beyond is district?

Reply #120188 | Report this post

Jacky  
Years ago

I understand that you may be feeling a loss when you have nurtured players from juniors, however how well have they been nurtured if they leave a club they have played in from juniors and that would also pose the question, would you really want 'disloyal' players at your club anyway?. Also about missing the point if you read back through previous blogs it is questioned a few times in regards to social players playing district, our district club began from a social club. I didn't say it was basketball snobbery, I posed the question. However you have made a fair point, maybe district clubs should be having a look at what they can do to keep their juniors - how that can be achieved, your guess is as good as mine!

Reply #120201 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think the point Jacky was trying to make was more to do with the validity of social clubs entering the comp, more than poaching players, so really there are two issues here. And to be fair, magic are not the only club, district or non district that poaches players. I know that it is extremely difficult to break into div 1 in any club, maybe thats what magic was able to offer intially - a chance to play in a div 1 side, that certain players would have otherwise not been offered in their previous clubs. Would the district clubs turn these players away if they were to go back to their original clubs??

Reply #120204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BASA admitted them and BSA and BA are keeping them and you thought there would be progress. Only thing talking here is money.
Jacky, there are too many district clubs let alone having associated social clubs joining in district competition.
If a player wants to play district he or she needs to pay the fees and join a district club or BSA and BA need to scrap the district system and start again.
I cant see any other organization in the world allowing social teams to join its so called elite ranks and succeeding.
In cricket,Turf cricket is a sub district level and district cricket is the next level and feeding ground for shield and Australian honours. The two don't mix and pay very different fees to play and this is the structure of every sport save basketball in Adelaide where they encourage social teams into the district comp where existing district teams exist and therefore reduce the number of players available to those district clubs as too many noses are in the trough.
Until see a social club start up at Wayville or Pasadena and then be admitted into the district comp, nothing will be done to close this cheap way of playing district.

Reply #120267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacky, again you have missed the point or have not read what has been said. These div1 players were seduced away and now are back at div1 clubs. Young people can easily be told the grass is greener or that this is their big chance to form a new powerhouse club. one player gets seduced and the players mates follow. They are being welcomed back at their original club or another district club, as it shouls be. Magic back to social.

Reply #120273 | Report this post

Jacky  
Years ago

Am I missing the point becasue I don't agree with what you are saying? I just find it really hard to believe that grown adults can be 'seduced' to another club if they weren't already looking to go anyway. If these young players are back at Div 1 clubs again, then what are we actually discussing here? I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Reply #120279 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not true of every sport in Adelaide. Western Jets & Harlequins netball clubs managed to very sucessfully break into metro state league netball from 'social'clubs.

Reply #120286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacky the word seduced can be the one you are missing the point on.

Reply #120287 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

jacky to use that word "seduced" about magic makes ever person who knows about the club fall down laughing. maybe u should find out about your clubs "history" before u make comments.if you do research the club the person who put it all together would be rather thankful for a carton of smokes for trade.

Reply #120293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think "Seduced" was a rather funny word to use for the Magic teams. doesnt anyone wonder why the u20 boys were headed over there? promise of "private training sessions" maybe? But, hey when that disappeared they all went back to div 1 clubs...shit all to do with wanting to leave. i am sure most boys u20s would leave with the promise they were given.

Reply #120296 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No more on that angle please or this thread gets locked.

Reply #120298 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mean, nasty and inappropriate comments such as these are probably the exact reason magic started a new club.

Reply #120316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac, why are you trying to stop people hearing the truth. Is it a court case is pending? No names are being mentioned so what is the problem with people knowing what has happened at magic.

Reply #120329 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i think anon every one knows what happened with magic except the magic parents in the lower age groups and lets be honest they are in low divs because they don't want to give their child a better chance to improve there game. they are more interestead in trophys thinking that proves how good their child is.

Reply #120355 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The last post on this thread has been removed. Further comments on this issue will also be removed and the poster either warned (if they post with a valid email address) or banned without warning (if they don't).

If you disagree, do it via email.

Reply #120376 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:28 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754