Anonymous
Years ago

Mike and Ben Osborne

I heard through a reliable source that Ben Osborne, the son of inaugural 36ers coach Mike Osborne, never got a gig with the Sixers because of a personality clash between his old man and Adelaide management. Does anyone know anything further about this, whether it is true or exactly what the problem was between Mick and the club, because Ben surely was NBL-calibre.

Topic #10482 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Ben, but you were SEABL level at best mate.

Reply #120632 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Why on earth would this topic be raised now? This is ancient history. True or not does it really matter? The 36ers management of that era no longer exist so what is the point of this topic.
Isaac - surprised you even let this start.

Reply #120647 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

120632 you talk horse doo doo mate .
Different era dipstick . Benny was NBL level and if he was in his prime now he would get a gig with most teams in the league without a doubt.

Reply #120650 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I will say that Ben Osborne is ahead of Jason Dix in those that should have played NBL list.

Ben was one of the best all time state league players plain and simple. His SEABL game was awesome and most nights his shot unstoappable.

He regularly embarrased sixer's starters on skill and heart week in and week out.

For mine the most overlooked SA guard of all time.

Reply #120654 | Report this post

Years ago

ANON12, whatever angry pills you're on, cut the dosage!! You're not making much sense, champ.

"Why on earth would this topic be raised now?"
Because I chose to raise it and it is basketball-related, Anon12. That's why. If you don't like it, are not interested in it, or are offended, don't post. Simple.

"This is ancient history. True or not does it really matter? The 36ers management of that era no longer exist so what is the point of this topic."
So what if it's ancient history? Don Bradman, Abraham Lincoln and the Industrial Revolution are all ancient history, relatively speaking, but does that mean we can't talk about it just because you don't want us to? And obviously 36ers management has changed over the past decade. I don't see how that matters.

"True or not does it really matter?"
Maybe not to you, so why bother posting? But I heard something through a friend and wanted to follow up on a South Australian basketball forum to discuss. So, in a way, yes, it does matter.

"Isaac - surprised you even let this start"
Why would on earth would/should Isaac block this topic? Have I defamed anyone? For all you know I could be writing a book or a historical piece. I'm just wondering what happened between Mick and the club and what the issue was. I don't believe in my initial post I took sides. Get a grip before replying with vitriol and nonsense.

Reply #120655 | Report this post

not 120632  
Years ago

Rotate on this didnt Ben play for the Buffalos in the old SEABL days??

Reply #120659 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Ben played for the Buffalo's, Noarlunga locally and also had try outs with Gold Coast and Sixers to some degree in the NBL.

Reply #120661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best guard I played against... no question.

I agree about the heart point too Kent, he would just go and go and go, never looked like getting tired.

Reply #120679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

played for Rollers back in the day along with Willie Jennette, as me being a state league player he was the best and most professional prepared player I played with. Mick was also the best coach I ever had -great mentor and knowledgeable coach
State League grand final appearances speak for themselves

Reply #120709 | Report this post

Ben Osborne  
Years ago

Hi Guys,

flatering to be spoken about on this forum but it seems to me you are all missing the point. Very few people make money out of basketball so we will put that aside and consider what basketball is all about.

I feel good about my time in basketball because of two things. Effort and Mates. I couldn't give a s... what other people think about arbitrary things like... Gee he can put that leather ball in that hoop really well...... or couldn't jump, too slow etc....

I care about the friendships made and my effort given. The Noarlunga Tigers were the epitome of sport for me. The 10th man and the manager always felt appreciated and respected as much as the imports etc. Tightest team i was involved with and the results showed. SA mens stateleague team of the 90's. 5 finals and 3 titles.

Ben.

Reply #120718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There may be some people down at Panther land that disagree with you Ben about the Tigers being the team of the 90's.
Championships in '91, '95 and '98 (I think was the last one) provides at least a decent arguement.
And for what its worth I would say the '95 South team was the BEST State League team of all time. Now that should provide some debate!

Reply #120720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that you, Don?

Reply #120731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don the mini bus - pls don't slap me!

Reply #120741 | Report this post

Ben Osborne  
Years ago

Tigers won championships in 91/92/97 and played in 2 more finals. If championships are tied the tigers would win in a countback in overall win/loss record for the decade in a landslide.

Panthers were definitely respected opponents.

Ben

Reply #120946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Tigers AND South won in '91??????????????????????????????????

Reply #120948 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Hey Ben,
How's things mate in Sydney? I'm pretty sure if my memory serves me right, we beat you in 97 and you beat us in 98.
Hope all is well and yes Ben was definitely one of the best guards I played against and had what most players lack these days...HEART!

Reply #120949 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Hey Ben
Remember the old jungle ball at Adelaide High? Good Times , especially for you, always remember when everyone was dead and buried you were running around trying to get just "one more game in"

Reply #120951 | Report this post

Ben Osborne  
Years ago

i think you are right panther about 97/98. 91 must have been the year we moved to summer as we definitely won that year.

Fitzy, i remember Adelaide uni. Awesome games v. ninnis, smyth, AIS guys - even Sam Mckinnon. Offseason was more fun than regular season for me. you still going around?

Ben.

Reply #120958 | Report this post

Ben Osborne  
Years ago

OK here's my final offer.

Tigers won 92/93/98.

sound right?

still would win on games for/against.

Reply #120959 | Report this post

Ben Osborne  
Years ago

i didn't play 98. that was billy's cockroach 4 point play year.

Reply #120962 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Got the Monday night special running still bud, Looking to take Peckers stacked mob out of the finals this week he he.

Reply #120967 | Report this post

rasheed36  
Years ago

I remember the day Sam Mac came out to Adelaide High. Nobody really knew who he was.Then he started to dunked all over that 6'8" Euro guy that I think use to play and had coached at one time or another for Norwood & Adelaide Giants. That was a fun night. Peck I think said to Sammy you won't dunk on me, and off one step, he threw it down on his head.

Reply #121038 | Report this post

John Salerno  
Years ago

Hi Ben Osborne

We are trying to track down your cousin "Justin O'Brien" for a CBC 20 year School reunion next year.

If you have any ideas where he may be that would be great... he certainly was a popular guy.

Apologies if I have the wrong Ben Osborne.

regards
John

Reply #244721 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754