Isaac
Years ago

A Lightning move is a possibility

The Adelaide Quit Lightning will stage games in Whyalla next season.

Boti Nagy spoke further with owner Vince Marino:

"Apart from what we got from the Quit sponsorship, the team received better corporate support from the Whyalla area.

"We have more sponsorship from around here than from Adelaide.

"We don't want to move the team (permanently) to Whyalla but with the stadium being upgraded, we'll see what support that generates."

Marino said the Lightning belonged to South Australia and there already were plans to stage some matches in country regions such as Mount Gambier, Millicent and Broken Hill.

"We reviewed the year in Adelaide and (on-court) the team was fantastic and very successful," Marino said.

"But the financial result was very poor in Adelaide."
An Adelaide venue for the Lightning has yet to be confirmed, with the Distinctive Homes Dome and ETSA Park under consideration. Either may prove too expensive.

Topic #10544 | Report this topic

In the Know  
Years ago

Great idea but it is starting to show how hard it is to make money in the womens competition.

Reply #121549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An excellent idea. When facilities and logistics allow, a great opportunity to assist with promotion of not only basketball, but elite women's sport in general.

Reply #121553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard that the team will be leaving Adelaide, maybe to play 2-3 games a year prior to sixer games.

Reply #121558 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

it's good that they are going to play some country games it could benifit local clubs as well. they could get more people at home games if they got the same respect as the sixers do by not having junior games on at the same time, i think this needs to change soon if they are to finacially survive

Reply #121560 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Ihope Vince has taken the logistical considerations into account.

3 referees, 5 scoretable staff, 4 statisticians, a Games Commisioner all who have to be accredited to a certain level will neede to be found...obviously the league will take care of the refs...but then there is travel and accomodation...wont be a cheap option

Reply #121563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you can make money becoming the Whyalla Lightning go for it and Im behind it-then maybe a second team in Adelaide?
Can't see why some inovater hasn't woken up to the fact that the girls are way better looking than the guys and market them accordingly!
Women are gold, market them!

Reply #121564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As usual yogee thinks only of himself.

Reply #121571 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's thought of something that applies directly to him, but wouldn't it be a relevant issue?

Reply #121573 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This is the start of the end for the Lightning.

Vince is a business man not a bottomless pit of money. Whyalla is not an afluent town when it comes to its general towns people. Very welfare driven. There would be some good corporate support there but I cant see 2000 whyalla people going to games. Maybe 500, but then again you would have to be careful what you would charge. Plus the extra expenses of getting there etc...cant see this working unless the corporate sponsors are far bigger than in Adelaide.

A lightning sale may not be too far away....

Reply #121584 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I would take a guess and say Vince has already spoken to companies such as Rex Airlines or O'Conner Airlines and local hotels who would simply supply travel and accomodation as their sponsorship deal.

Reply #121586 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Wow I mention the need for 13 accredited people at a game, and that is somehow thinking of myself??

Just for the record, stats staff dont generally get games they want to do, we are asked for availability at the start of the season then get rostered to a game, with the co ordinatoor having to take in availability, and ensuring a good mix of more experienced and newer panel members.

Plus if Vince does move games to Whyalla, you will need to find table officials (who are volunteers) willing to give up the best part of a weekend for a 2 hour basketball game.....

Reply #121588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is indispensible and Im sure Whyalla basketball association would jump at the chance.

Reply #121602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd move the sixers to Ceduna!

Reply #121603 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

I read pressure being bought to bear for a better deal in town.

Said it before.... Vince, create and use your team to put bums on seats, get air time, get your team into the social pages, judge some fashions, cut some ribbons, go to the races and employ someone to hound the media into recognising when and where Lightning has struck.

At the minute you have a dour coach who would like to see his players behave in a similar manner. This will get you 200-500 diehards at a venue of your choice, under the radar wont pay the bills.

Reply #121604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 121584

Are you from Whyalla?? If not how on earth would you know what Whyalla people like and therefore how many people would attend games etc?? I am sure that it would create a lot of energy and enthusiasm in the town and the basketball community in general. Even people who usually wouldnt go to basketabll in Whyalla would probably at least think about going and surely that can do more good than harm for country basketball as it may get more people interested in basketball again.

I get so sick and tired of city people thinking country people are like second class citizens!!

Reply #121610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go back to bodysuits!

Reply #121619 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Reply #121653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not move the lightning out to starplex? an excellent location.
Just a thought i'd throw out there, and please everyone, no bagging the 'northern suburbs' i think thats a bit tired now.
IMO Starplex is situated in a very nice location.

Reply #121660 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Panther

I can almost guarentee you that neither Airline would be interested. O'Connors are really struggling and Rex have pulled back on all major sponsorships other than real community areas, and this one would be considered corporate.

Anon 121610, no one is having a go at Counrty people. Get a grip. Reality is that the support will only go so far and the chances of this town supporting with 2000+ people at $20 a ticket is slim to none. If the corporates like One Steele help out with more money then there is a chance, but IMO, I cant see the team being sustainable for a long period in the bush.

Reply #121672 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

the lightning have always struggled to draw much more than 500-600 per game for stand alone matches,i dont think cancelling junior games will really have that much of an effect,you always get people saying they would go,good in theory but in reality most dont go,look at the AFL,people always argued for the stadium to be extended but once they did the crowds didnt increase and for finals it actually dropped slightly.as for going to whyalla it would be interesting to see how many recruits would want to come here then,i wonder what thoughts the players have on this!

Reply #121680 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I agree,

they will really struggle to get crowds there. I can understrand why they want to do it and it would be good for the country areas, but we have to be realistics.

Will they get any more bums on seats in the long run. Also a lot of the players have to work as well and it will be difficult to find work and uni commitments.

It will be just too hard, and although I support Vince Marino, as he is really committed to basketball in South Australia, I think it heralds the beginning of the end!!! Sad really, there is just no money in women's basketball

Reply #121684 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Lightning wouldn't move. I have been there once. Just Dust.

No players would come to play for the Whyalla Lightning.

A few games to Whyalla is a great idea and you will get maxed out crowds and sponsorship for a few games.

Hawks play 1-2 matches in Tasmania and now they have Tourism Tasmania as their major sponsor.

Reply #121690 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

One of the things brought up in the BSA forums were to stage more country NBL and WNBL fixtures.

What a great idea!

Reply #121702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it amusing that there is a perceived lack of corporate support for Basketball in Adelaide. There are plenty of business owners in Adelaide like myself who are willing to put money into the Lightning or 36ers, but have been left with a bitter taste in our mouths by the poorly trained staff at these clubs. I am still waiting for someone from the 36ers to get back to me regarding corporate sponsorship for the 2004/2005 season.
No wonder the team was sold.
I may not have the sponsorship budget of a Gordon Pickard or Nick Bianco, but I do feel my companies can make a contribution.
I can only assume Vince has received much better support from the Whyalla community because he has been personally responsible for getting that sponsorship.
I am very interested in pursuing some form of sponsorship with the Adelaide Lightning; however it would be less attractive to me if the team was to only play half of their home games out of Adelaide. I have no interest in sponsoring a team playing out of Mount Gambier as none of my companies service that area, and very little interest in sponsoring a team playing out of Whyalla, which only makes up a small percentage of our target market.
The Lightning have a bubbly, energetic young lass working out of the Adelaide office who is a pleasure to deal with, however things seem to fall in a heap once they proceed to the next level of management. It seems some things never change.

Reply #121732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they are just talking about whyalla have you considered port augusta, port pirie and port lincon. I think they will get more than 600 at the games!

Reply #121739 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

the odd game or two would pull a good regional crowd - but regular games - the crowd would thin quickly.

yes whyalla deserves some games - due to vince and other sponsors.

TV coverage ??? would the auntie regularly take on whyalla.

the comment about whyalla having social issues is relevant - but whyalla is doing well at the moment on an up.

some games yes - but relocate no.

adelaide sponsors pull your finger out!

Reply #121741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bagwan is spot on Surely we dont think Vince could move the whole thing to the iron triangle, 2 games a season would be a massive draw card for the local area and a reward to the sponsors from the area who have shown support. What is heartening is the passion shown in the forum as the program deserves support. #121732 I would suggest if you wanted to support the team then the the energetic lass would be helpful. By the way the Adelaide sponsors are so few The fingers are well out. Vince is using the old faithful Gordon Pickard tactic of support my interests "its in your best interests" Good on him the extra money in hoops is great, Ask any of the girls if they feel more secure now Vince is on board. Take the team for a road trip for sure

Reply #121746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bagwan, how in particular would you like the Adelaide sponsors to pull their finger out

Just more cash
Promotions or discounts for the fans
Scholarships ot traineeships for the team
Maybe run a raffle
Donate a car???

Have a look at the experience and ability in the market place of the lightning marketing team compared to netball / hockey / sanfl etc.

Miles behind in value for sponsorship buck

Its not just blind faith, those days of Jan Stirling drumming up Brian Ferrari and Bernie Lewis are a distant memory.
Get real - offer a return and the sponsors will come.

Reply #121748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bagwan why will the tv coverage not go to whyalla, when they are going to bendigo?

Reply #121749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon(#121746), I think you'll find the problem is not with the young lass but the Adelaide based gentleman above her who doesn't seem interested in bringing on new sponsors.

Reply #121751 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I think its a crazy idea to move to a country town. The additional travelling would be a nightmare, both cost wise and the comfort of the players. It would always be 2 planes to catch whether the Lightning go interstate to play or whether interstate teams come here. I doubt other teams would take to it too kindly having to travel to Adelaide and then out to a country location. If there's not that much money in women's basketball, what makes Vince Marino think that they would gladly accept the additional travelling costs. Not just his team but all teams.

Reply #121752 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

bendigo is about 1.5 hrs from melb - large 80,000 pop city

whyalla - 4 hours, 22,000

abc could probably have a regional HQ set up there or ballarat

Reply #121753 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

what we need is a marketing study - and work out what sort of crowd we need to break even .

ie 650 per game to break even.

then work out what regional centres hold 650 plus.

then find out who would go? ie 650 interested?

then market it big time - ie pt lincoln, whyalla, pirie or augusta - its all good.

look regionally where our basketballers are - and reward them with a or some games - ie millicent, mt gambier, pirie, whyalla, augusta - all providing great juniors.

maybe the games that would only pull 400 here in adelaide - ie adel v perth or bendigo

rather than big double header crowd pullers ie caps, sydney etc

there is no way you can tell me 36er / lightning crowds are not bigger at double headers

Reply #121757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bagwan, I think you'll find that the Lightning make next to nothing out of the double headers as all the money from walk up sales goes to the 36ers.

Reply #121759 | Report this post

interesting  
Years ago

Sounds like a great idea. A couple of games in the regional areas. This would mean say Millicent would get one game a year.
As such there would be great support. But more importantly, with some local school visits and school visits, this would be great for basketball.
It is interesting, I have spent the last 5 years in adelaide and 20 years previous in the country. Country people will travel for 1.5 to even up to 3hrs plus to play a game of football, (often with 4 - 6 sides in the comp) every second weekend. Yet the complaints on hoops travelling to Gawler or down to Southern, oh my, such a distance, such a hassel.
It is not that the city kids arent tough, their parents are just such whimps and whingers.
Basketball will be supported in the regional areas, and is this not the main thing.

Reply #121773 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

so we could look at -

1 or 2 games in the south east

millicent / mt gambier

and 4 or 5 in the iron triangle

whyalla 3
pirie 1
augusta 1

and 5 or 6 games in adelaide

I hope the iron triangle stadiums are air cond!!!

Q - what sort of return is the whyalla council looking for with the stadium upgrade.

interesting point - the players get signed then the release re moving to whyalla.

the occasional regional game has proved to be successful for the wnbl - geraldton etc - all have delivered interest from smaller communities - and ensured that they will continue.

so maybe for the first few games whyalla may pull 1,000 or so - lot less to do in whyalla and it would be a big night for sure!

however to regularly expect 1,000 people - that would be 1 in 22 going to the game from the city - may not hold over time.

you may pick up 250 people from adelaide and surrounding areas making a night out.

why not have a game when the junior carnival is on for that area - ie whyalla carnival is on during wnbl season?

if we avaeraged 1 to 22 attandance in adelaide we should have 50,00 attending (based on approx 1 mill living in adel)

not rostering games on junior nights is a start

but then again vince owns the team and we knew this sort of thing may happen.

I really think vince would not be detrimental and would only explore some of the better aspects of ownership and a happy marriage will occur between regional and metro rostered games.

The lightning roadshow!

Reply #121783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

121732, the female you're referencing would probably be Samara and the male, Mike.

I'm not sure what made you believe that they were not interested in new sponsorship opportunities but I can't believe that that would be the case. Perhaps an enquiry went missing and wasn't responded to (happens with everyone).

I'd encourage you to give it another shot as they are definitely interested in hearing from all potential corporate supporters.

Mike's email address username is MikeD and the domain is AdelaideLightning.com - put them together and send him an email.

Reply #121822 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Let them play at Pt Augusta.

That way, if the crowd numbers start to get lazy, they can take all the detainees at the detention centre for a night out!

Reply #121856 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

this is a very viable option that with a bit of thought and commitment could work. lets be open minded people

Reply #121897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing at the Dome is a mistake and playing before the men is an even bigger mistake. ETSA park is not a bad idea but scheduling games at Wayville on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon as stand alone games and pump some money into promotion, is the way ahead.

Reply #121928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the wheels are in motion to hold a few games in whyalla next season. All you doubters out there will just have to travel north of jepps cross for the first time in your lives to find out. Whyalla will definately put bums on seats once the stadium is upgraded. not only whyalla people but pt aug, pt pirie and pt lincoln fans of womens basketball will fill seats. Great idea by vince.

Reply #121970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok this is Great for Whyalla!

So Will this inspire more young kids to PLAY Basketball?

I've watched some of their So called games and not much in it...

Pretty Dead!

Correct me if this is wrong.

Will the Coaches realize if this does BOOST the Registrations, will they be prepared?

Reply #124485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bring on the lightning!!!! whyalla is one of the best country stadiums already, so imagine what it would be like with this upgrade?! i think once it has all been done people wont be whinging, they will be praisig Vince and the Whyalla community!!!!!!!!

Reply #127532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say Good on Ya Vince, your a Man of Word! Well done.

Reply #128180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:14 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754