Anonymous
Years ago

Why Ballinger??

Not that I am opposed to this acquisition, I am just curious as to why Sixers fans are so keen to sign Ballinger? According to stats, he had a very similar season to Horvath, so why not just keep Horvath? Is there something this guy can offer us that I have not seen or we cant get elsewhere?

Topic #10549 | Report this topic

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Better defence. Consistent mid-range jumpshot which allows him to be more dangerous from more places on the court and harder to shut down.

Also they could sign both Ballinger and Horvath and run Ballinger at the 4 and Horvath at the 5.

Reply #121629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A front line of Horvath, Balllinger & Cooper. That should sell tickets. Maybe a back court of Maher and someone like Brad Davidson and we would have the most entertaining team in the NBL.

Reply #121630 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

ballingers defence is not that good! Consistency is another issue, even though his stats show good, they fluctuate through out the season

Reply #121632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Call me crazy, but I would like to see the Sixers go after an offensively aggressive big......Like a Larry Abney!!

Reply #121641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger fits the sixers system much better. The sixers game under Phil (including three chamionships remember) requires everyone to be able to shoot the ball pretty well from outside, bigs included (eg Sapwell, Brooks, even Reesy was consistent from 15 foot and an occasional three) - this is why Cooper is working on his outside shot. Horvath is predominately back-to-the-basket and isn't as good a fit.

I dont think you could have both Horvath and Ballinger - it would place to much pressure on Maher (even with a Davidson or similar). Our imports need to be one big and one small.

Reply #121643 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Plus he is rumoured to be marrying a NZ girl and can play as a local.

Reply #121645 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

thedoctor, Horvath is engaged to a NZer, if that's who you're referencing.

re Ballinger - can put up good numbers, seems to be fairly agile, have never heard a bad word said about his attitude, can shoot from outside and spread the defense, etc. I think he would suit Smyth's style well.

Reply #121657 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think Ballinger would be a great fit! Horvath if can play as a NZer would be a good pick up to start centre, but as someone said i think they need a import big and a import guard, unless we can pull off a huge recruiting effort and sign like a Newley and another starting Aussie guard (or naturalised) to go along with Maher. If Brad Davidson is signing, is he going to be our starting PG, i sorta hope he is coming in as a back up PG, and we get a import guard (sg or pg) to start with Maher.

Reply #121665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, was aware of Horvath's engagement, but could have sworn I read about Ballinger being in a similar scenario. Could be mistaken though??

Reply #121670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just did a search - appears Ballinger is looking to naturalise, but not for partner-related reasons. Still, might be a good pick up for later years if that is the case

Reply #121671 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

its one thing to always do the comparison on stats but they dont always tell the true story,we dont get stats on screens that are set to create that easy basket or shots that are changed due to defensive pressure or the guy who provides the extra help on D.i think to often we look at the things that are obvious but forget about all those 1%ers that can be the difference between winning and losing

Reply #121673 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Why do we want Ballinger? Cos he is in the top 10 stats in the league in 8 of 10 categories.

Reply #121674 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

yeah but have a look at were the hawks finished this season on the ladder. Look at his defence rotation, it really is non existent. True in reference to him going for naturalisation.

Reply #121676 | Report this post

Unit  
Years ago

Ballinger is a very sensible pick up as he obviously fits in with the teams preferred style of offence.

As mentioned the Sixers were at their championship best when they had quality big men with outside game.

Reply #121677 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

"look at where the hawks were on the ladder" so does that mean cos we finished equal on wins with them we shouldnt rate mahers season either??

Reply #121681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Horvath 7
F Abney 8
F Import 10
G Import/Mee? 10/6-7
G Maher 5

= 40 pts / 36-37 pts

Darren Ng
David Cooper
Matt Sutton
Brad Hill
Adrian Majstrovich
Marcus Timmons

=26 pts.

How about that?

Would be impressive!

However i would probably not have a second import with both Horvath+Ballinger

Reply #121686 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

^^^^My post^^^^

Reply #121687 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

What import hasnt said their looking to become naturalised?

Does it play on teams minds when thinking of signing them?

Reply #121688 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Ballinger
Rychart
Horvath
--------------
Mee this season
--------------
Farley wanted to become an Australian citizen and play for Adelade but that won't happen.

Reply #121692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of the above qualify as Aussies for the 07/08 Season.

Your team list is therefore not at all realistic.

Plus Mee is all but signed to play for Cairns next season.

Reply #121701 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

"C Horvath 7
F Ballinger 8
F Import 10
G Import/Mee? 10/6-7
G Maher 5"

That is if Horvath + Ballinger were to change.

My fault, i did mean Ballinger not Abney.

Reply #121705 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The process of Horvath naturalising is, I believe, not that much faster with his marrying of a NZer. Can still be a 2-4 year process or more. See Blake Truslove and Casey Frank for examples.

Reply #121708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if Horvath has a wife with NZ citizenship, under NZ law Horvath will also become a citizen of NZ, thus enabling him to play as a non import.

Reply #121747 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea that would be good if we could have Horvath back as a local, with 2 imports like Ballinger and a guard or SF, that would give us a strong team especially if we manage to pick up Newley aswell!

Reply #121764 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

121747, I don't think it's necessarily a quick process. e.g., Blake Truslove, an Australian applying for residency over there with pressure from the Breakers to assist his case - still took four or more years. AFAIK. May be wrong.

Reply #121768 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I didn't even know Truslove and Frank were dating, let alone getting married. Which one proposed? and which one is "the bride"?

Reply #121909 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:25 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754