Libertine
Years ago

Ricky Rubio

Anyone else seen anything on this kid? Looks amazing. DraftExpress love him as much as Bill Simmons loves Durant....

Ricky Rubio

Topic #10636 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Ricky Rubio delivered one of the most incredible performances ever witnessed in youth categories, truly a game for the ages. Actually, it's quite safe to assert that nobody has even come close in at least the last fifteen years. In a double-overtime thriller, Rubio led Spain to victory with 51 points, 24 rebounds, 12 assists and 7 steals. He was just unstoppable, getting into the lane at will, creating for his teammates, fighting for rebounds, coming away with any loose ball, playing defense (although not nearly as consistently as he does it now); he was everywhere on the court. That day, Ricky looked like he was blessed by the basketball gods.
He's averaging 3.5 steals per game for the best in the Euroleague, despite only playing 18.1 minutes per game - wow.

Reply #122854 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I saw this kid playing Spanish league last year on TV, thought he looked pretty young, found out later he was only 16 and made his debut at 15!!

He's clearly freakishly talented, but the Spanish league has a history of blooding younsters who don't go on with it. I did a bit of research after seeing him play, details are a little hazy 5 months down the track, but I remember reading about a guy who debuted at 14 and only played 10 games or so in his career.

I'm pretty sure I've written a post about him before, Isaac, what ever happened to the old search function that used to be on the forum? It was a lot better than the google one that sits alone now.

Reply #122856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has plenty of YouTube highlights on him.

has a very Maravich looking style.

Reply #122862 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Billo - was that the point guard with mixtape-style skills? If so, I remember him, but thought he was a bit older?

You're right about this Google search - can never find anything. It's terrible.

Reply #122863 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

No, I think that was a different guy, that mix tape was a few years old if I recall which would put him at 14, the guy in the mix tape was older. I had a look through my old posts and couldn't find where I'd posted anything about Rubio so maybe I just thought about posting something!

Any chance of bringing back the old search function? It was always a bit weird having 2 but it was useful having one that worked! Searching for older posts I could usually remember an obscure word used in the thread which was fine under the old method, the google search never gives me what I'm after!

Reply #122867 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wow, this clip shows a few highlights of his 51 point game in the U16 European Championships final, especially the half court shot he hit to send the game into OT. Not just a regulation half court short, oh no, a double pump halfcourt shot on 2 defenders no less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTKnydGoyII

Reply #122875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Billo, old search has been reinstated - seems to be fairly fast and picks up posts more or less as they're made.

BTW, this is the kid I was talking about: Sergio Rodriguez - now playing with the Jailblazers in the NBA.

Reply #122878 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Yep the Spanish have got an awesome stable of young up-coming 1,2, and 3s - Sergio Rodriguez, Rubio and Rudy Fernandez... Why we can't produce guys like like that i just don't get it... BA should be sending guys over to Europe to see what needs to be done in our junior development programs...

Reply #122885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why?

How about the fact that some European countries (at least the basketball powerhouses) have full-time basketball "academies" for 15-19 year olds. They live there, train there and actually get their schooling around their basketball commitments. And I'm talking hundreds of kids in each country, not the 12-15 players (of each sex) or so on AIS scholarships we have here.

People here know about it - just don't have the money to do it.

Reply #122889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is it at all viable to increase the capacity of the AIS?

Reply #122892 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Probably viable financially but not politically - since the AIS (for some) is a vote getter... and increasing the capacity of the Bball programme (for many) would be akin to slitting the throat of a Joey in a Kindergarten... when we are world "Powers" in such sports as cricket and Rugby - if it ain`t broke don`t fix it... and i think bball would lose out in any horsetrading 9 times out of ten...

Reply #122897 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac

Reply #123097 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

The AIS did produce a U19 World Championship team just over 3 years ago (IIRC Robbins was the only nonAIS athlete on that team)...so something must be going right, doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the production line atm!

Reply #123103 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

libertine was that with bogut?

Reply #129776 | Report this post

Jaume  
Years ago

My friends, I'm Jaume from Barcelona ( Spain ), I saw this guy for the first time when he made his debut at 14 years. ( not 15 ).
He is extremely talented, but not the kind of player some of you can expect. He's not a shooter or a jumper, he's the kind of player all the coaches would like to have in his team. The most mature kid I've seen at his age, with 14 he plays with strong men of 30 and you cant't see the difference. His strenghts are the game vision, he can control perfectly the rythm of the game, the assists, and above all: his defensive skills. Very difficult for the rival point guard to pass from the half of the court
( marvelous hands ). Here in ACB, lots of ex NBA centers are looking for the ball after a missed shoot and...incredible! Ricky has grabbed it! Sure you'll see him in NBA in the future, but don't expect him to
post 30 pts per game, he is the extension of the couch in the court.

Reply #143991 | Report this post

Cati  
Years ago

Ricky is so good player and so young but he has got a brain like Pau Gasol or "Magic Jonson"

Reply #144481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this kid is overhyped, and whoever said sergio rodriguez and rudy fernandez are good, are out of their minds. now rubio is better than them, but he will have a huge adjustment to the nba where guys like rondo and brewer will kill him for quickness, also he won't be able to get that set shot off. expect shoe steals to go down as they have for guys like navarro who picked up steals in leagues with horrible athleticism like the ACB.

Reply #174129 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

You know, I can't think 'Ricky Rubio' without thinking that God-awful Phil Collins song 'Sussudio': 'Rick, Rick, Ricky Rubio - woah oh oh'.

Try and get it out of your head. You can't. :)

Reply #174135 | Report this post

HK  
Years ago

Ricky will be a superstar in the NBA. He will be a combination of Jason Kidd and Pete Maravich. He won't score like the Pistol but plays the game with his type of flair and like Kidd cause of his court vision. Ricky Rubio mark it down future SUPERSTAR!!!

Reply #174967 | Report this post

wimer77  
Years ago

hi friends iam from thailand and now iam looking about basketball and i think spain team is very good . if USA is the dream team but spain is the best team . i think RUBIO will be the best player in the future.

Reply #200799 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Gidday Whitey Cobbers, I am from a remote farming community in outback WA, where I work as a general XXXXkicker for the white bosses. I've been having a look at this baskethoops american crap on the telly a bit lately and I reckon those Aussie boomers are the bees knees. I thought that Millsy kid was great (for someone that couldn't even win Australian Idol) and he's gonna be a F*&^ing star of the future.

A VB to all of ya's.

Reply #200823 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

I like the debate over here. Just saw the Ricky Rubio highlights for myself and let me tell you I was impressed.

Here are my thoughts: http://www.aarontorres-sports.com/?p=636

Reply #232321 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754