Isaac
Years ago

Brad Hill leaving 36ers for Dragons

The Adelaide 36ers and Brad Hill have agreed amicably to allow Hill to investigate other playing options for the 2007/08 season.

Hill, who has played 51 games for the 36ers since making his debut in 2005, believes that making a change from Adelaide is more for his personal growth than his basketball career.
More at the 36ers site

If Darren Ng stays and Brad Newley is an option, that could already make for a bit of a guard overload, so this might be a reasonable move for both parties?

Topic #10911 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

Pity we lose another home grown kid though....

Reply #126470 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

is there clubs already after his services or is this a big risk diving into the free agent market?

Reply #126471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he gets back to the Mavs and is playing OK, I can't see him having a problem finding a gig with Wollongong, West Sydney, Gold Coast or Singapore.

Reply #126472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

booga,

I am sure that with the Wollongong and Gold Coast francises looking for players, as well as West Sydney and Singapore looking to upgrade, he will get an opportunity.

Reply #126474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give me Brad Hill over Ng any day........stupid decision by Sixers heirachy especially when Newley isnt even a certainty!!

Reply #126477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumor is that Kerstan is about to sign with another rival club, same Sixers different day.

Reply #126482 | Report this post

Upside  
Years ago

Didnt Brad Hill play last night?

Reply #126484 | Report this post

britney  
Years ago

From a different point of view, rumour is that Brad is no certainty to return to NBL level after his arm injury. Why would the sixers want to carry injuries into this season after the season they just had?

Reply #126486 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's a rumour - see Boti's article from the other day suggesting that the situation has changed a little since then.

Read the article on the 36ers site and you'll see that they offered him a contract and he accepted and then later changed his mind.

Reply #126489 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i just think he would of been better off playing one more year to prove he is over the injury, then he would of been in a better position to neg. with other clubs for more playing time

Reply #126490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers roster for next year isnt looking all that promising is it?!?!

Reply #126493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

booga,

Brad Hills best year was when he was still training at the AIS. Each year since he has decreased in performance. Another year and he wont get another opportunity,

Reading between the lines. After his chat with Smyth on Monday, maybe he has worked out what the rest of us know. That the 36ers dont plan on using him again and that he is better of some place else.

Reply #126494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Brad took the contract initially for a bit of security(even though he was told he wouldnt get much time) , then after a bit of thought and judgement on his recovery decided that coming off the bench behind Maher, Davidson, Sutton, Ng etc wouldnt benefit his career!! Good choice by him and I hope he improves a hell of a lot and sticks it up Smyth just like Ingles, Newley etc have in the past!!

Reply #126495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His performances decreased in value because he lost confidence. This occurred through the coaching staff!! I would have been shattered to if I had players like Ng, the 40 year old brick throwing Copeland and to a lesser extent Sutton coming off the bench before me!!

Reply #126497 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Brad Hill's leaving? That's HUGE surprise.

Reply #126502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting , interesting what is the strategy of the 36ers...

First they sign Maher , then Davidson and sutton . Seems like Hill then was signed and then Ng after which Hill decides to leave ?

How many guards was the 36ers going to have ? or was it a case that maybe both Hill and Ng were in fact both going to be bench warmers ? Will Ng still be spending most time on the bench and should he also have gone for another team in 2007/08 ?

Reply #126508 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Loss of a good local kid is a bad thing..even i start to lose faith in the coaching staff when we hear yet again of the "agreed to terms, then changed mind"

Heard that story before.

Reply #126509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its a shame though, he was what alot of people were riding on. He brought that excitement of youth and promise that was much needed. Sad way for him to leave as well.

Reply #126513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why is the loss of a local kid a bad thing?, if we get a player better than hill, will u see it as such a bad thing then?

Reply #126514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers loss, Dragons gain

Reply #126516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

126514, less sense of ownership. People often like to feel some sense of history with their team - e.g., have watched them develop, or know their background, etc. At least, that's how it is for me.

Reply #126519 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

How many local kids can we keep though?

We have to keep Maher, we've kept Sutton and Ng.

We've improved our rotation by adding a current starter to our squad in Davidson.

I'm all for keeping local talent but we also shouldn't be running a 6 guard rotation which is where we were headed with Hill in the line-up

Reply #126523 | Report this post

britney  
Years ago

I completely agree with you Clark. If all we sign is local talent are we denying ourselves the possiblity of something better. I know this issue has a bit to do with past management but the sixers still have more local talent then Brisbane, Cairns, NZ, Perth, Singapore, Townsville, West Sydney, Wollongong and Sydney.

Reply #126526 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Definitely a Dragon

Reply #126527 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Ng is a waste of space. He can shoot...but can't defend, has average court awareness, can't deal with any defensive pressure and can't handle even the slightest hint of physical play.

He is the epitome of the typical 36er last season&extremely limited, extremely soft.

The guy has to have time off every season for exams for god's sake. What's the deal there? This is a professional league!

The dude should go be a doctor and the Sixers should stop entertaining fantasies that he can ever be a useful player on a legitimate team.

Reply #126531 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I guess it comes back to the same question - do we field the absolute best team possible for the upcoming season, or do we balance our roster out so we don't face a huge decline in a couple of years time?

IMO, Davidson will prove to be more beneficial than a Brad Hill or Ryan Kersten type for the 07/08 season. I don't think too many would dispute that (though some may argue the difference won't be great). However, if you're looking at, say, 08/09 & beyond, who would you rather?

Davidson will be 33 before the season starts, Hill & Kersten both 21.

So my biggest concern, rather than acquiring & retaining local talent, is that we're just not signing/retaining *young* talent.

For example, had the 6ers chased an Adam Gibson straight from the 'tute, and said "look, we really think this guy is going to be superior to our local kid, Hill, we're going to chase him instead" and then actively did it, I don't think that's a problem. The inactivity in seeking & securing young talent is what bothers me.

But, again, if they genuinely believe they're going to pull off all the big signings that have been rumoured, and that with those signings, they'll be a real shot at winning the title, then I don't fault them for signing Davidson.

It's if we end up somewhere between good & mediocre (rather than exceptional) that I think there's an issue with passing up younger guys. For the past 4 seasons at least, I'd say we've hovered between good & mediocre.

That's just my theory on it, anyway.

Reply #126532 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I posted last year on my thoughts that winning a championship is the important thing, and yes id give up local players for the result. But, id rather win it with a couple of homegrown players, i still go to the game with Maher's name on my singlet...whose will it be in 2-3 years?

Reply #126540 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

So how many players have the sixers lost to the Dragons now...?

Reply #126542 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

Glad to see him go, he may look exciting but he has no ball control and bad shot selection, bring on Sutton with Ng as a back up any day, atleast Ng can shoot

Reply #126543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers should make a reality TV show called "Respect your Elders". This would generate some much needed income for them.

First scene:
Paul Bauer - Hey Phil and Steve, there's this guy named Ryan Kersten. He's from SA and he'd be a great fit at the point for us.

Phil - Who?

Steve - That's great Paul but need a centre. Have you heard back from Bradtke yet?

Reply #126549 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

NG having time off for exams is a disgrace....

Reply #126550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neptuneboy...... one player has been 'lost' so far and maybe another

Reply #126553 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I was tempted to make some comments re this being a bad thing, but I have to admit that what I saw of Hill last year, admittedly not a lot due to his injry, I was disappointed. It will be interesting though to see how he goes with his new club. If he ends up starring, then it is going to say plenty about the ability or lack thereof of Adelaide to development young players.
Agree also that to allow NG to have time off for exams is somewhat unprofessional. The lad really needs to improve about 100% to be anything approaching a key player.
Not feeling that confident about next season at this stage - once again, it seems very little communication with the supporters, then again, they don't seem to count for anything.

Reply #126554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kdog, I'm with Jasmine here. Sure the Sixers shoudln't stand in the way of his study, that would be crazy. However, he needs to be able to make a 100% committment to the Sixers. I think they deserve that and he just can't give it.

Ng played good last season but he dropped off quite a bit in the month following his absensce for exams right in the middle of the season. I think it should be one or the other too.

Reply #126574 | Report this post

soapbox  
Years ago

you are kidding on Kersten saw him on the weekend overweight and slow yeh he looks like someone who is committed to nbl guess cos he went to college we should sign him along with the other 100 plus aussie kids playing over there

Reply #126576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

soapbox, I'll make sure he smiles and points at you in the crowd after he torches the sixers like his friend Ingles did to Phil. I wonder if the sixers could offer him a spot as the 13th man.

Reply #126589 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Considering basketball will only account for another 12-15 years for Ng and he still has another 30 years after that of working life, then its not unreasonable that he should be given some flexibility when it comes to his studies. If players were paid millions here like they are in the NBA, they could probably retire at 35. Here is Australia they need to keep working.

Reply #126593 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

hasnt ng moved his remaining studies to the off season, so isnt this mute,

also sad to see hill go but something tells me sutton is the better option at this point in time and also impressed more.

not saying hill wont bounce back and i sincerly hope he has a long ans sucessfull future in the nbl, but to me he i now where near the loss of say oscar or jacob i some how dont think hill will be the next big thing hope he proves me wrong though.

Reply #126594 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

yes i know extremely poor grammer on my behalf,

Reply #126595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they did offer kerstan a spot in the 13. funny.

Reply #126606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and being out of shape didnt stop timmons getting a go!!!!

Reply #126607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad to see another local boy go but is anyone surprised?

Smyth didnt give him any court time last year so y should he stay?

He'd only get court time if he was older (eg. Copeland)

Reply #126608 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

SPOT on thomo....
"Darren Ng, 23 and 190cm, will put his medical studies on hold to focus on the 2007-08 Philips Championship, joining Brett Maher, Brad Davidson and Matt Sutton in a deepening backcourt."

I think Darren will surprise some detractors...

Reply #126646 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

Good to see Ninja.

You can always go to Uni, any 'window of opportunity' to make it in a professional sport is a much more rare occasion.

Reply #126780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a loss!! the dragons are going to be a real good outfit this season! from what they did last year, now with brad hill, one of South Australias best jrs to add to the two that they already have they could go all the way if they all fire!!

Reply #126893 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754