In the Know
Years ago

Basketball promoted by country championships

A 'parent was loud,abusive and used bad language throughout the game" and had also labelled Port Augusta players (their opposistion)as "stupid" for losing' - quote from The Border Watch newspaper.
'Organiser of the championships, has not received a formal complaint from referees,coaches, parents or associations regarding this alleged incident.'
Yet parents who witnessed it have said 'this instance warranted further action after non was taken in adelaide'.
With the parents close to court side, Abusive parents can no longer be turned a blind eye to and tolerated.
If basketball is promoted like this in SA country press, where are our future players coming from, Boxing??.

Topic #10991 | Report this topic

In the Know  
Years ago

Use your own nickname!

Reply #127429 | Report this post

Love the;  
Years ago

Yeah, well you can add to that players, parents and coaches abusing young reffs as well.

Support your team by all means; call out "travel" or "foul" when you think you see one; however abusing players or reffs and thinking you know more than anyone else shows no class at all. Witnessed Players, coaches & parents all getting stuck into young reffs during one game. As an un biased observer (helping out at the stadium)I thought the reffing was very, very fair during the particular game that this was witnessed in.

Reply #127460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if it was the same 'ugly' parent from down the 'blue lake'.....she was a disgrace and even had to move herself!!!! (Pity it wasnt out of the stadium!!).
SHAME!

Reply #127489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Love the"

You would think that yelling out foul or travel when you see when would create no problems if it was left at that. However, recently that occured at a game I was watching and the umpire turned around and layed a T on the bench for disputing his (no) call.
Refs are far to over the top these days, there should be a limit to your conversation with them. Like asking questions to see what you did wrong or why something happened apparently no longer is allowed. Perhaps because the umpires refuse to talk at all with coaches or players enquiring, it results in verabl abuse due to frustration as they have not been told what they are doing wrong or becuase the umpire is 'whistle happy'

Reply #127601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps it's NOT the ref who's doing something wrong... perhaps it's the "verbal abuse due to frustration"!

Reply #127605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think what most people don't understand is that calling out 'travel' or 'foul' when you think the ref has missed something is a form of abuse. No, it's not as bad as actually having a go at the ref, but during the game it causes refs to get flustered and as a result, miss more or make more mistakes. It can also affect a referee's confidence in that game, especially with young referees, because they know the spectators/coaches aren't happy, once again causing them to make mistakes.

Also, the reason a lot of refs, especially young ones, don't like coaches or players questioning their calls is because of the way it is done. I have absolutely no problems with someone questioning my calls, as long as it is done politely, but more often than not I find I am approached by a coach who simply yells over the top of my explanation without listening to a word of what I have to say. The ones that let me speak are mostly sarcastic, and take no notice of my explanation anyway. As an experienced ref, I've learned not to let it bother me, but is it any wonder that young and under-confident refs avoid letting people question them?

Reply #127612 | Report this post

Love the;  
Years ago

(#127612)I understand what you are saying; however it is human nature to want to "call out the right answer" meaning spectators are always going to call a foul or travel when they think one has happened.

The problem I have is when spectators, having called the foul or travel, will then moan and groan with "Aw come on ref...." well you probably get my drift.

It has to be everyones right to call out when they see what they think is an indescretion; however it gives them no right to abuse an umpire, young or old.

(#127601)Agreed. If this was the case it is way over the top

Reply #127615 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

What ever you do, don't retaliate against an ugly parent. You'll get no support if you do. A guy from our club did and the association turned against him and supported the ugly parents. Lies told at the tribunal by the ugly ones were farcical, but supported by the investigator - we later found out they are friends.

Reply #134048 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754