123abc
Years ago

Crocs circle Ellis as Abney replacement

The Townsville Crocodiles are eyeing free agent import Rosell Ellis after Larry Abney indicated he wouldn't return to the club.

Abney rejected the club's offer on Tuesday despite the Crocs' best efforts to retain the superstar American.

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=4930

Topic #11145 | Report this topic

dry back  
Years ago

possible crocs line up

PG - ?EJ 8/Kelvin 5
SG - Rillie 10/?Cedar 3
SF - Sheridan 5/Drew 3
PF - ?Ellis 10/Egan 8
C - ?Pepper 10/ Vanderjagt 5
= 67
? = Not signed

i would say ellis is likely, also chasing pepper hard but so are other clubs.

Ej is a great on court leader and defender but i would think after losing newley and abney they would wont more offence in a import PG. also i dont think think they really want cedar but i dont think they will find anyone better at this stage unless they go for a college kid.

Reply #129903 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I thought that crocs were signing Pennisi and the Hawks got Pepper?

Reply #129912 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

Another option is to get a Aussie back up PG and start Robertson. This will give them the option to look at an American SF to replace Newley's scoring power. Although I cant see this happening and the Crocs seem pretty keen on signing tough defensive players as in Sheridan and EJ is a good defender as well.

Reply #129931 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

say the crocs start kelvin and they sign either pennisi or pepper to starting C, then they could pick up Wethers and hope he plays like he did in 05, his mvp year.

PG - Kelvin 5/Cedar 3(college kid 3)
SG - Rillie 10/Drew 3
SF - ?Wethers 8/Sheridan 5
PF - ?Ellis 10/Egan 8
C - ?Pepper/Pennisi 10/ Vanderjagt 5
= 67

if they signed an aussie rookie(1 point) at the back up PG then they could get a 10 point import, but if not it means they can only have a 9 point player who is already in the league.

maybe scott cook at back up PG if cairns dont pick him up, he shows some real potential.

Reply #129943 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They could probably get Pennisi rated down - at least to a 9, surely?

Reply #129949 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

yeah true but i thought the cut off date for having players rated down was over

Reply #129951 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Even if that's true, the NBL makes the rules up as they go.

Reply #129953 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

Pennisi a 10, same as rillie and ellis - the points system is a joke. I wouldnt rate Pennisi a 5! He's no better then vanderjagt.

Reply #129954 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

so any recent stats on pennisi? where he has been playing and how he has been going?

Reply #129963 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There would be a deadline for teams, but probably not for unsigned players. He could get himself re-rated before signing.

Reply #129967 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Last season each team could request 1 player be reviewed in the hope of a re/rating.

However a player not signed was free to ask the nbl te review his rating.

Thats how the Tigers got Tucker/Dench, Tigers asked for a review of Tucker got him down to a 9 (from 10). Dench asked prior to signing for a review and thus their master plan fell in place.

Seems Dench wasn't their man though, quick to cut him from a 2 year deal!

Reply #130021 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

But the Crocs don't have the same power within the NBL ranks as the Tigers do.

There's 2 sets of rules in this league.

The McPeake/Groves rules.

and

The We don't give a flying crap about you if you're not the Tigers or Bullets rules.

Reply #130031 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

the crocs should be looking at marcus fleming, the guy they wanted before they got abney.

Reply #130058 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754