Isaac
Years ago

Bowen, Spurs playing dirty?

The NBA is looking into an incident during the Spurs-Suns series where Bruce Bowen apparently kneed Steve Nash in the groin. There may be a punishment administered by the league.

They declined to investigate after Sun Amare Stoudemire accused Bowen of kicking him in game two. Stoudemire publicly called Bowen and Spur Manu Ginobili dirty players after that incident.

Could have a significant impact on the game should Bowen be forced to sit out a game.

The Spurs currently lead the series 2-1.

Any announcement about a decision is expected to be made before game four tomorrow.

Topic #11480 | Report this topic

Stingray  
Years ago

It wont be a huge loss if bowen is outed for one. He should be penalised for it, clear as day.
Suns need to just score as they can not defend th spurs. PHX offence needs to be their defence.

Reply #133967 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I think that Bowen is a tough nosed defender that does anything to get under people's skin.

I watched that footage of him alledgedly stick his foot under Francis about 20 times. I think it was dirty! He had no good reason to stick his leg out, he was balanced fine, and he doesn't normally do it.

But in saying that, its the playoffs, you be as tough as you can get away with! I would like to go to war in the NBA with someone like Bowen because you know he isn't going to give an inch.

So yeah, it may be dirty, but if it wins you the series and you get away with it, good luck to him.

Reply #133968 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Did come back to bite Amare though fouling out in 19 minutes to the chants of "Dirty, Dirty" from the Spurs fans.

Also did not help him when one was a very clumsy foul that left Mick Fin on the deck.

The series is tough as hell, Manu copped a finger in the eye from Marion and it looked like he had just gone 7 rounds in the ring, add to that Nash's nose and it is getting tough.

Reply #133971 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

Sign of the day yesterday had to be Amare StoudeWHINER.

Thought that was GOLD.

Suns don't like the tuff stuff.

go Spurs.

Reply #133972 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Bowen was a key part of the rally that put the Suns away yesterday (hit some big 3s) and his kneeing of Nash in the jatz crackers was one of the all time low plays... Here's the thing with Bowen - he is a professional athlete who has been in the L for years - not some work experience kid - if he was that clumsy/useless he would be playing in some o/s leaugue... the guy has had too many instances like this - 2-3 games rest would be deserved for this one... Of course he won't change... But he has to start paying the price... SA will miss him badly as well...

On another note - i couln't help but have a wry laugh at Ginobilli's injury - "Bloody hell Ginobili's at it again faking a nasty contusion to the eye... If he's not flopping he's doing this!!!"... Seriously though the guy is a He-Man... Getting back up and taking the game by the nuts thereafter... Yes - he does flop - but he can take anything anyone will dish out at him as well...

I'd love to see someone clean Bowen up and see how he reacts...

Reply #133976 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

Johnny it's playoff Basketball
not excactly a non contact event.

Mind games dirty tricks anything
you can put in someones head to gain an advantage.

Winner of this is in the final
vs Detroit no doubt.

Popovich would know excactly what edge is needed to stop the Suns and it appears to be working.

Reply #133978 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

He also stepped on Nash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UynFKOdfxXc

Reply #133981 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Can't wait to see the reception Bowen gets when the Spurs come back to Phoenix for game 5. Pity we won't get to see the game.

Just on a side note, I thought there was some pretty poor coaching by Mike D'Antoni during game 3. He should have rolled the dice on Stoudemire and brought him back earlier in the 4th quarter. If he fouls out you don't lose anything cos you're not going to beat the Spurs with him on the bench. Obviously Amare shouldn't have put his coach in that position by picking up several stupid fouls.

Secondly, the Suns should have doubled Tim Duncan in the 4th. Make someone else beat you. Clearly one on one coverage wasn't working so change it up. Looking forward to game 4.

Reply #133987 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

They can double Duncan up all they like.

Finley Barry Ginobilli Horry
will be waiting to launch the triple.

What would you prefer ?

Reply #133988 | Report this post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4yz__akIU

^^ I cant believe the league didn't look into this

p.s 'several stupid fouls' you mean that clean block at the start of the 3rd. oh wait if Duncan misses it must be a foul. NBA umpires will be the end of me.

Reply #133990 | Report this post

Look at Bowens head before he kicks him! he looks down! Look how amare stumbles. you cant tell me he wasnt going to hammer the shit out of that dunk. its sad how bowen has to try and injure the suns to win.

Reply #133992 | Report this post

Look how he just leaves his foot under the hoop when amares dunking.

Reply #133993 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"p.s 'several stupid fouls' you mean that clean block at the start of the 3rd. oh wait if Duncan misses it must be a foul. NBA umpires will be the end of me."

His 5th foul was especially stupid given that Amare had just entered the game, was late on the rotation and should have just let Duncan have the 2 points.

His 4th was unfortunate given that Oberto flopped but Amare has to realise that he has to stay in the game for the Suns to win this series. I think the Suns copped a raw deal from the refs in game 3 but Amare has to be a little smarter as does Coach D'Antoni.

Reply #133996 | Report this post

i def agree that his 5th foul a. was a foul and b. was stupid. But his 3rd and 4th were especially questionable. I don't care if duncan gets the calls. as long as Nash gets them too.

Reply #133999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ELG - check the related videos on that link you posted and there's another dirty move by Bowen against Amare. Sly bastard.

Reply #134000 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Bowen has to be suspended for that...no doubt. Spurs got away with murder in game 3!

Biggest problem I have, is if the Spurs win the series, they will basically be through to the Finals and will probably play Detroit! Doesn't get more boring than that!!!!

Reply #134003 | Report this post

Its not boring. call me a purist, but i like the idea of seeing two defensive teams in the final in a league thats geared for offense. The thing is, i dont want the spurs to win now because of bowen. and I dont want pistons to win, because i really dislike chris webber. go utah (or suns!)

Reply #134005 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Go to the link below for footage of the knee to the groin. It's classic, playoff basketball (ie dirty). He is one seriously cunning bastard, that Bowen.

PS. The dunk on Hinrich should've been a charge. Go Bulls.

http://nba-videos.aolsportsblog.com/

Reply #134009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bowen is one of the dirtiest players ive ever seen - just ask vince carter

Reply #134016 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

So Mahatma (if that is your real name) - John Hopoate should get his tuckus over there... There's hard and intimidating and there's plain dirty - Bowen blurs that line too much to be accidental... Lets see what happens when he ends a promising players career or a teams championship hopes with his BS... And i'm sorry - but kneeing a guy in the nuts or interfering with them (- without mutual consent), and lets say there's a 75% chance it was deliberate is the lowest of the low - even in AFL it is a black ball offence (a big hi to Brad "Squirrel-Grip" Wirra if you are reading!!!)...

Reply #134021 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Tim Duncan 33pts, 19 reb, 3blk,,9 times 1st NBA team, 10 times defensive team..And instead of acknowledging the contribution of one of the all time greats of the game, all you can do is sook about a few little bumps and cry about the Suns not shining

Reply #134027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do these 'dirty' plays need to be looked into after the game if the ref hasnt called it during the on court time? if he can pull it off without the ref seeing, then he shouldnt get penalised a few days later, just because people like to whinge about it being unsportsmanlike, big whoop, how bout instead of complaining about it, you get your own back when ref isnt looking? or just play your own game and take more notice of whats happening around you

Reply #134040 | Report this post

Years ago

because - the fact is that bowen can actually indanger these players...he did his famous keep-ur-foot-on-the-ground-when-ur-man-goes-up-for-a-jump-shot-and-make-sure-its-where-he-is-going-to-land trick to guys like vince carter who got seriously injured on the play and it nearly cost him his career. and the refs cant see everything during the game so thats why they have these systems to penalise and punish players for these cheap acts that are intended for the ref not to see...'get your own back' ?? thats not the nature of the game and is exactly why they do refer to the video replay because they are trying to stratch that out of the game...if these dirty plays go unlooked it means they go unpunished...it doesnt teach anyone a lesson - its not good for the sport, for the fans, for the league, or the players

Reply #134043 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

#134040, isn't that a bit like saying that instead of calling the police after a house invasion, you should go after the criminals with a gun and try not to get caught??

Reply #134047 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Guys - put it into perspective. The Detroit Bad Boys were an entire team (except for Dumars) who were all worse than Bowen. That type of play IS playoff basketball. It is considered by many to be the glory days of the league. The early 90's Knicks could fall into that category too. What do those teams and the Spurs team of the last 8 years have in common? All great defensive teams.

Check out Bill Simmons article on ESPN.com regarding the Bulls/Pistons rivalry. There is a link to another article with classic comments from Laimbeer. He called the entire Bulls teams "whiners". I think he'd be saying the same or Amare now.

What's the prupose of Amare's comments? To get inside the Spurs' heads? Good luck, they are too playoff hardened to fall for that. I think its done nothing gut disrupt their focus. Amare lost it in game 3 whereas the Spurs just went about their business. Spurs in 6.

And why persist with Thomas on Duncan? Everybody is saying Thomas is doing such a great job. Duncan is averaging 32 and 15. Thomas made the comments before game 1 that "I can guard anybody". Maybe he should have said "except Tim Duncan."

Reply #134062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im all for checking the video during the course of the game, but not after the final whistle. if you cant pick it up during the game, dont do it at all. you had your chance to make the call, you missed it, so let them play the next game. and if you know that a player has a rep for dirty tricks, why dont you keep an eye on him so when he tries something you can make the call.

Reply #134159 | Report this post

Bfresh  
Years ago

Because its just that easy? We'll just assign 1 ref to follow around dirty players whilst the others watch the game...

Sounds good in principle but man reffing is hard at the best of times without having that kind of responsibility on their heads.

Reply #134353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754