Anonymous
Years ago

Lake Ginnindera College

Just a quick question. Lake Ginnindera is where a lot of the ais basketballers go to finish high school. I think there's about 8 of them attending in 07. Are these guys eligible to play in the national schools championship? If so they would be expected to dominate with some of the best juniors in the country wouldn't they?

Topic #11694 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Lake G is the closest school to the AIS (about at 15 min walk). A few have played in the past, but the majority skip it as I don't think it's that important, plus from what I've heard the standard of competition is pretty average.

You have your state players and your div 1 players etc etc attending but because they are usually spread out over the teams then the level of competition is average.

You can tell the AIS/state players quite easily on the court as they are heaps better than the usual talent running around.

If Lake G did fill all their AIS players they would walk away for the males and females comp without being touched.

Mills was going to play last year but pulled out just before.

Reply #136849 | Report this post

last year lake G didnt make the finals they lost in the semi finals, so they are not as unstoppable as you are saying TR

Reply #136853 | Report this post

Unit  
Years ago

I beleive late 2003 (I think, could of been 02), both Newley and Ben Allan played for them in the Nationals. Newley averaged something nuts like 46 points a game, and they won the tournament.

I remember back then that Lake G could only have a maximum of 3 AIS players on their team, but I have never heard this confirmed.

Reply #136856 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hmmmmm, Lake G lost in the semi's without Patrick Mills and the other AIS players.

Add Mills to that Lake G team last year and they take out the Championships. Mills at the U/20's took a very average ACT side to the bronze medal game (scoring 49 points) and averaging 36pts, 5ast, 5 stls. He did this against state teams, not chump school teams.

I doubt there is any schoolboy in Australia that could stop Mills that already doesn't goto Lake G.

Your kidding yourself if you think Lake G wouldn't walk away with the title if they could play all the AIS players. Lake G would resemble the AIS SEABL side.

Reply #136859 | Report this post

yeah not doubting that, i was going on their team last year

Reply #136860 | Report this post

yes they qualify for scholl open nats - what about jenna ohea playing for caufield grammar last december - she was 19 yo

many severely underestimate the quality of school nats

Reply #136861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mills and ogilvy played in 2005

Reply #136893 | Report this post

Get on the bus  
Years ago

Lake G is MUCH further than a 15min walk from the AIS.

Reply #137020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TR has robocop legs.

Reply #137033 | Report this post

Mark White  
Years ago

As a parent of last years captain, Ben White, I can correct a few things. The AIS (the tute in local terms) have a relationship with Lake G and most of their senior high school athletes (not just ballers) go there. It is a secondary college in Canberra catering only to year 11 and 12. Through an agreement with the AIS and BA, they are limited to only two players for the NSBT (Male & Female). Usually the Sports Master, Steve Walding picks players to balance any available ACT or good club players.

Last year's team was disrupted due to a last minute schedule change for the AIS to Italy. Pat Mills and Andrew Ogilvie were scheduled to play and were really champing at the bit to go one better than their Silver Medal in Albury in 2005 (Ben did an ankle two weeks before that tournament). Ross Allsop had been advised his AIS scholarship was not to be renewed and as he was still going to Lake, he stepped in at the last minute.

Last year's team had Ross, and 4 ACT rep players, and as someone said on here, yes you can see the teams with Institute, State Institute and Rep players at NSBT. The good news for Lake at this years tournamnet is that Ben is repeating year 12 to cover off some NCAA requirements. So he's hoping for another big few games.

Reply #137486 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:47 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754