Mining town man
Years ago

16 boys - No hope really

What hope really have our 16 boys metro at the nationals after half the team last nite could not even beat a local team - we won't say what one of the coaches say, but if that's what they think it will be hurry up so they can come home - something about soft underbelly, selfish ........

Not good when we should be wishing them the best - could have acknowledged that perhaps our boyz were just better on the nite and that maybe there are more talented kids out there. Wait till next season when our recruits come up the hill. Bring on Norwood

Topic #11924 | Report this topic

CMV  
Years ago

How many minutes did the 5 they are in the team play. I know for a Fact the big kid played less than 10 mins.

Reply #139324 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

What the ? Does that mean Mavs beat Sturt ? If that's the case, surely kids were off playing footy etc. Could not have had thier full team. No disrespect to the hillbilly's but ....

Who is mining man ? stop canning the kids you idiot. You don't know them, they will do well.

Go catters

Reply #139328 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Reply #139329 | Report this post

basket 57  
Years ago

I agree mining man & others should stop bagging the kids , leave their own ego's & comments out of it.This is kids sport not an arena for you to bring them down by bagging them all the time.
About the game last night , yes the "big kid " only played limited time ,due to some very ordinary calls by the refs . It was very obvious about which camp he was in .
Why are you so keen to bring on next season, why not continue with this one & see where it ends up, let's hope you can produce same again.

Reply #139337 | Report this post

Magic57  
Years ago

Well wats the difference between you always bagging the Mavs kids? They had one player missing and the big kid got fouled out thats the reason he had limited playing time. You have to make an excuse up just because you were beaten by the "hillbillies".

Reply #139344 | Report this post

6th man  
Years ago

Good to see that you mentioned that Sturt were missing 2 players and the Mavs were playing with 7 people on the court.

Corio Bay beat Danadenong before the classics. Funy that they needed home town ref's to do it.

Same thing up at hillbilly central last night.

Reply #139376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get over it. mavs beat sturt and thats all to it

Reply #139384 | Report this post

basket 57  
Years ago

"Hillbillies "is very appropriate, you might do well to see if you can get your shot clock working or at least refix them to the wall.This might also assist the refs in the counting department.
Yeah Mavs did beat beat sturt - Gun team status ???? Look out everyone here they come , we'll all be lining up for tickets .
How did they go at "CLASSICS" oh, sorry they didn't play at Dandy they went to??.. ,,where did they go ??
Enjoy the moment & we should reschedule the game V Norwood cause we all wanna be there .you ROCK!!

Reply #139386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

typical sturt.

Reply #139406 | Report this post

Sainters77  
Years ago

I not involved with either club bu you Sturt boys need to accept Mavs played better on the night. You also need to stop making excuses. But on the other hand the Sturt boys dont need to be bagged because they were beaten. What ever happened to good sportsmanship?

Reply #139429 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

the mavs team should be congratulated on beating sturt they may have a couple outnut they still had 5 state players in there team so well done mavs

Reply #139432 | Report this post

person1  
Years ago

magic57.... two players missing... the big kid had ordinary calls and the court.. well lets just call it a slip'n'slide

Reply #139437 | Report this post

mac  
Years ago

do you notice how sturt boys dont have to open a forum every time they win a game?

Reply #139447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on you Eastern - way to show that being humble is a Maverick trait.
Did Sturt start a thread any of the times they have beaten you? No?
Do you really think bagging 14 and 15 year olds is appropriate? And how is this even relevant to State?

Then again, you're probably the same Mavs "man" who took great delight bragging how the Sturt U18 girls cried after Eastern beat them in the 18 girls Classics final....

As for next season with your "recruits" - at least you have finally admitted that you have a Maverick lady ringing kids from other clubs trying to entice them to Eastern.

You may have won on Friday, but you have shown that you have no class.

Reply #139467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations to the Corio Bay Mavericks!

Reply #139469 | Report this post

basket 57  
Years ago

How many state players in the Mavs side? I think its 4 I believe. Should be winning more games going on what everyone saying about Sturt having state players! MMMM whos soft then?

Reply #139471 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Does anyone out there remember these are just kids, humans in fact. So the Sturt boys had a very ordinary night, so what! The best of the elite have bad games in any sport. What sort of pressure are these kids growing up with when they are constantly critised by those that probably couldnt play anywhere near half as good as these kids and are probably a little jealous their little johnny is not part of a great team. It's junior sport for gods sake! We are not playing for life and death. All of you kids are great, keep up the good work. Win some, lose some, just keep on doing what you love doing!

Reply #139473 | Report this post

139467, Dont know about any of the above but in regards to "recruiting". I know one thing though. Poaching has to stop!!!! It destroys the kids that are poached, damages the kids in the programs they are poached from and to. I have seen the results as a teenager myself and also just seen it as a coach.

Who cares if your club isnt TOP of the tree if you are teaching your kids and they are developing isnt that what its about? Poaching is ALL about winning at all costs NOT development and NOT the game!

Any one / club that engages in these dodgy practices and / or supprots them need to be highlighted.

Reply #139476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please stop the negativity from both sides, it helps no-one. Facts are that Mavs had their back up guard out through injury , and two with minor injuries that played. Sturt were missing their back up guard and the player who has only played State Champs for them. Both teams played on the same court so no excuse.
Refereeing - well ask both coaches and I'm sure they both believe they no favours at all! End score Mavs 48 - Sturt 44.
I know for a fact that the Eastern u/16 coach has spoken to no other clubs players about playing for his club next season so please don't talk about recruits and poaching, it has nothing to do with this result or the teams in question.

Reply #139535 | Report this post

be  
Years ago

might want to get your facts straight. the player who "only" played state champs has played for sturt for a while, also he has played most of them games since state champs including the classic. im sure if you asked the coaches they would tell u that if a guard puts his head down, loses controle and runs into the tall guy it shouldnt be called a foul. he gets next to no minutes because of the refs, not his defence.

Reply #139538 | Report this post

be  
Years ago

might want to get your facts straight. the player who "only" played state champs has played for sturt for a while, also he has played most of them games since state champs including the classic. im sure if you asked the coaches they would tell u that if a guard puts his head down, loses controle and runs into the tall guy it shouldnt be called a foul. he gets next to no minutes because of the refs, not his defence.

Reply #139539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know for a fact that the Eastern u/16 coach has spoken to no other clubs players about playing for his club next season so please don't talk about recruits and poaching, it has nothing to do with this result or the teams in question.

No one said it was the coach - matter of fact he is a top bloke. But the fact remains that a LADY from Mavs has been ringing up players from other clubs. You are right, it has nothing to do with this result. But then again, perhaps mention that to your Mavs brethren, it was he (Mining Town Man) who brought up their new recruits in the very first woof errr post in this thread.

Reply #139545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is the missing player going to play the rest of the season or is his choice now to play football only? It can't be used as an excuse if he isn't going to play basketball again this season!
It doesnt matter if offense is out of control or not, if the defender doesn't have defensive position and makes contact with the offensive player that is regarded as disadvantaging the offense and is a defensive foul.
You should ask if the oppositions offense took it at him for this reason. Then ask why the coach of his team did not try to change their defense to protect him from this(eg change who he is guarding or man to a zone).

Reply #139571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basket57 for your info, Mavs only have 2 state players.

Reply #139576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what does the mavs v sturt game have to do with nationals. SA METRO are no better or worse than they were before the game you idiots.

Reply #139597 | Report this post

basket57  
Years ago

Mavs have 4 state players, 2 going to Nationals & 2 reserves. Reserves ARE state players and could be called up at the 11th hour. You should be recognising their acheivements too instead of discounting them! Congratulations to all of them!

Reply #139622 | Report this post

country observer  
Years ago

I saw that game as I was there to play squash. I don't know much about the game but if desire comes into it - the mavs far outplayed the team in blue. The blue mob had 2 small kids that I would not say hogged the ball, but looked pretty selfish to me. Jacking up 3's from everywhere. From what I read above are they the top team ? If that is the case I can understand why the other kids went and played footy.

The stadium there is good compared to where we come from.

Reply #139639 | Report this post

Elmer Fudd  
Years ago

Sure you did country observer, I am sure that every squash player that night took the time out to watch and access the game. And that you have no affiliation with Eastern. The kids played footy becasue they play every Friday night. But the game was moved forward into the 7pm time slot becasue Eastern are not able to field an U14 Girls team.

Reply #139655 | Report this post

country observer  
Years ago

Elmer

Sure enough you have your hand on it again. Maybe I was there because I play squash at 6 for an hour every friday. How about I meet you there at 6 next week and and fudd the crap out of elmer. You are obviously one of those little blues disciples. The kids play footy most fridays - not every and they choose when they play. It ends this week anyway. Mavs and other teams kids also play footy so don't discuss what you do not know much about.
Just about sums everything up that you would know about an under 14 girls team. Uncle Elmer

Reply #139723 | Report this post

Elmer Fudd  
Years ago

Sure you are only a squash player and not a parent. Squash player from the Eastern HIlls Rec Centre a renowned for their great basketball understnading and posting on a basketball forum all the time. (insert sarcasm here) And if you are NOT a mavs parent how would you know anything about it? I think it is piss weak when people try and lie on the forum to back up their ridiculous claims.

PS Eastern do not have an U14 or U16 Div 1 team. Go and check sportingpulse. But as an Eastern parent you would know that already. This creats issues with the schedule, which is why the 16 Boys game was in an earlier time slot bozo.

Reply #139746 | Report this post

tk  
Years ago

This result has no bearing on the out come at Nationals. No SA team was going to win or even medal.

Reply #140296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be right about Nationals prospects but difficult to say until finals when it will be a scramble for the fourth spot.

SA Country 0-3 going down by 20 (NSW Country), 22 (QLD South) and 67 (VIC Metro).

SA Metro going 1-0 but yet to play any team that deserves to be there. Should easily defeat QLD North and ACT then go close with NSW Metro and VIC Country.

Reply #140456 | Report this post

Victory11  
Years ago

So anon,

Are you going to come foward and put your name to your posts when SA Metro win today proving your predictions wrong? I doubt it!

Reply #140574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlikely to become an issue ... I said they would go close to Vic Country and they did ... but still lost by 4!!

Reply #140738 | Report this post

IamIsaid  
Years ago

only a thong in it!

Reply #140784 | Report this post

Victory11  
Years ago

3 wins already anon,

so what was that you were saying about 2 wins only.

Have given themselves at least a top 8 position.

So what is your name then anon?

Reply #140790 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

My read is that the boys have their fate totally in there own hands.
Correct me if I am wrong...but if they beat WA metro by 6pts they win the 3 way tie between Wam, Vic C and themselves and are through to the top 4!!
Any comments prior to this game re this team are premature and silly.

Aussie champs are a marathon and all is forgiven if they take care of business tomorrow IMO.

Reply #140861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never said anything about two wins only ... said they would beat the pretenders taking them to 3 wins and then go close to NSW Metro and Vic Country, which they did despite narrow losses ... read the original post Victory11.

It's up to them now to determine where they finish.

Reply #140874 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754