Isaac
Years ago

Bizarre Hoops SA Enquiries

Usually people contact me via this site with reasonable questions - where can I play social basketball, do you mind if I plug a charity event, or the South East Coast Basketball League changing their web URL every few days (just kidding guys), etc.

Occasionally, they're really quite ridiculous. Keep in mind that up until recently, there was a paragraph in the header of every page on the site clearly telling users that this was a forum about basketball in South Australia.

But some people don't read and some of the incoming messages are a bit amusing - I'm putting them up in case anyone finds them funny.

This one was from the US:

I want to know if this is the basketball league for kids where they travel. I want to get my son in the league asap.
I responded:
Not quite sure what you're talking about? Can you give me a clue?
Their reply:
Is Hoops SA a baseketball league for kids 16 yrs. and under? Do they travel and have tourtaments? And are they sponsered by Nike?

OK. Next up:
hey my name is xxxxxxx xxxxx i am 17 years of age i am a very good basketballer my self really becasue i am off to ballerat next ear to play in an basketball tourment or a week in feburry from xxxxxxx
Excellent.
Everyone will know who sent me this:
Remove your fucking incorrect comment re: Andrew Gaze dunking on Cecil Exum

Some people are a little confused:
To Whom It May Concern,

I was wondering if you guys made personalised jerseys. As I am chasing at least 7 for my basketball team.

I was also wondering how much they would cost per jersey.
Others are even more confused:
heloo my name is xxxxx xxxx, i am 16years old, year 10 from africa and i
would like to joint the HOOPSA if it is possible.. can you please give
me more details about the program because i would love to join your team
and play basketball for the HOOPSA.
Even if they're not from Africa:
Could you please tell me when the Craft Fair is on, as it says on your site it is on the Sunday 22nd May, but the 22nd May is a Tuesday.
Or are from Africa:
Dear friends,
Am a Nigerian and i am 15years of age.I play as a point guard and i must to you that i am a very good player.i have been to many competitions and i have merits e.g basketball certificate.You can contact me by(my phone number is +234xxxxxxxxx)my address(No xxa,Flat x,Police Officer's Quarter.xxxxxxx.Lagos)
i will be very grateful if u assist me to play in one of your academy.
Apparently I once had a fitness centre:
DO YOU STILL HAVE THE FITNESS CENTER AND IF SO HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO GET IN?
After she found the CAPSLOCK key, that one was followed up by:
I wanted to know if hoops still had a fitness center and if so are there any membership fees?
From someone else:
can you give me HOOPZ EMAIL PLEASE.
Today's contact came via the complaint form attached to a thread about the NBA on Foxtel. I don't know how to reply.
i was just wondering when we were getting the deadliest catch back on discovery. it is the best show.

Topic #12007 | Report this topic

ITA  
Years ago

HAHAHA nice one.

I love the fact someone emailed you to get your email!

This thread has made my day (I am obviously easily amused).

Well I now have sore abs from laughing. Keep em coming :D

Reply #140195 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Someone's been inspired by Rod Benson!!

Reply #140196 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

hahahahaha.

Too true billo.

Reply #140198 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

ROFLMAO!

Half the posts thought that this was a team!

Reply #140205 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

classic issac,

Reply #140206 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I would also like to know when the deadliest catch is back on..........

Reply #140214 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

ba ha ha...

classic issac was good as well....

Isaac, do you know if basketball will be on free to air this year?

Reply #140224 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The enquirer from Africa probably thought HOOPSA meant Hoop South Africa.

Reply #140234 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

great read isaac :)

Reply #140237 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

You can now start building your Empire Isaac. Fitness Centre, TV Station, Ferrari Dealership, Basketball Academy and your own clothing label.

'Isaacs' Apparel'

Reply #140248 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Billo - not quite. When they come through, I forward them on to a couple of people for a laugh, but thought more might find them amusing.

EC - doubt it. It would be someone wanting the dream of playing overseas.

ITA - Actually, I looked up "Hoopz" when that enquiry came through and it seems to be a nickname of some girl featured on the show "Flavor of my Love" or whatever it's called. If you've never heard of it, that's a reality TV show where Flavor Flav has to choose himself a woman. They compete in competitions involving hot tubs, etc...

Reply #140298 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Funniest show on TV after Entourage!

Reply #140305 | Report this post

torn acl  
Years ago

"I want to know if this is the basketball league for kids where they travel. I want to get my son in the league asap."

is that from Mr Newley ?

Reply #140335 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Aww Isaac, that makes that one different then... Haven't heard of it no. but still funny, as are the rest, keep posting them for our amusement :D

Reply #140337 | Report this post

parasol  
Years ago

"Or are from Africa:
Dear friends,
Am a Nigerian and i am 15years of age.I play as a point guard and i must to you that i am a very good player.i have been to many competitions and i have merits e.g basketball certificate.You can contact me by(my phone number is +234xxxxxxxxx)my address(No xxa,Flat x,Police Officer's Quarter.xxxxxxx.Lagos)
i will be very grateful if u assist me to play in one of your academy."

did we not have a great "hoops sth africa"

thread a few years ago with nelson mandella posting regularly ?

Reply #140340 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Isaac,

Strongly suggest you without delay send back a response to all those from Africa, advising not only do you have a team, BUT you can for a few hundred dollars payable to your bank account, transfer $16 Tri zillion dollars AUST (remember its now at .85c, so not really worth that much) to any nominated bank account they like.

You never know, it might just provide enough funds for you to update to a later model Ferrari!

Just a thought.

Reply #140534 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

and call your new company Firepower...

Reply #140552 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

or SA Firepower........

Reply #140573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754