Isaac
Years ago

Brad Hill out for the season

Not good news for the South Dragons, but former 36er and SA talent Brad Hill is out for at least the season due to nerve damage.

...nerve damage to Hill's back and shoulder have severely limited his arm movement and ruled him out.

The club has told Hill, who burst on to the scene with the Sixers after a stint at the AIS, to concentrate on getting fit and ready to go next season.
As rumoured previously, Hill's place on the roster will go to veteran guard Matt Shanahan, who was set to retire and join the coaching staff. More on the Herald Sun site

Topic #12215 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

How did he get an injury like this to limit his arm movement?

Car accident , fell off a cliff ...what?

Reply #142539 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I think he got mugged.

Reply #142546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Underlines the value of a layup compared to a dunk.

Reply #142551 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Not that a surgeon would ever admit it, but they think the surgery after the Abney incident actually compounded the problem by damaging some nerves.

My word is that he may never play again. Hope that's wrong but is easily believable when you're talking nerve damage.

Reply #142557 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Oh....and thank god Bubble is keeping away from the coaching staff.

His Ballarat Miners gave up 107PPG on the way to a 7-18 season and last place in the SEABL.

Reply #142559 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Hard luck Brad, all the best..

Reply #142560 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

..bits of jagged Bones through tissue can damage nerves...

ShaneD

Reply #142568 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

How would Hill go if he was not able to ever play again by insuring his income potential.

I am sure Abney would feel even worse now that he potentially looks to have ended Brad's career, how would he go defending himself against a law suit from Brad for causing the problem?

Does the NBL or players association have insurance to cover players in Brads position ie an Income Protection plan?

Some employers take this insurance out to cover their staff would be interesting to know if the league took the best interest of its players in by covering their income.

Reply #142619 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Kent - I'm not sure if Brad was insured or if the NBL has insurance for this kind of event. I would assume they do, but who knows the way the NBL has been going in recent years.

As for Abney being sued, the chances of that happening would be very low. Basically Brad steps on to a basketball court knowing that he will get knocked around a bit and "consenting" to this type of contact. In sporting events, the contact has to be a long, long way outside of what someone would expect could happen for it to be negligent.

... that's not to say the surgeons were not negligent.. that is a whole different kettle of fish

I'd say, however, that Brad will have to turn to whatever insurance policies he could find were in place at the time of the injury

Reply #142647 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

cheers for that

Reply #142651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:30 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754