TR
Years ago

FBI investigation corruption in the NBA

The FBI have opened an investigation into alleged illegal betting by a referee with times to the Mafia.

The investigation apparently began a year ago zeroing in on blockbuster allegations that the referee was making calls that affected the point spread to guarantee that the ref/refs and the bookies who had their hooks in him, cashed in on large bets.

How come I'm not surprised....

Link to article:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/news/columnists/nba_in_a_fix_columnists_murray_weiss.htm

The NBA's response (typical response to these type of things):

The NBA issued a brief statement: "We have been asked by the FBI, with whom we are working closely, not to comment on this matter at this time."

Could be interesting times.

Topic #12225 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting read .... here is an article from espn, which names the ref as Tim Donaghy.

Link to article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2943938

Reply #142710 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Article in the Chicago Trib.

Some key points:

"Donaghy was part of a crew working the Heat-Knicks game in New York in February when the Knicks shot 39 free throws to the Heat's eight, technical fouls were called on Heat coach Pat Riley and assistant Ron Rothstein, and the Knicks won by six. New York was favored by 4 1/2".

"The NBA acknowledged Friday that the FBI is investigating Tim Donaghy for betting on games, including ones in which he officiated."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bkn-betting-probe,1,6471325.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

Reply #142715 | Report this post

Thats what happens when you make the spurs win, David Stern!

Reply #142722 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

I wonder if this corruption had anything to do with the Spurs/Suns series???

Reply #142729 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It opens up a whole can of worms for Stern and for the greater good of the NBA.

I can't believe that only 1 person is in on this. For something this major more people on the inside have to be involved or at least aware of it. Being aware of it and not reporting it is just as dumb and participating in it.

Not sure if the NBA could have something like a Royal Commission, but I'd hate to see the issues that would surface if one went ahead and a person not Stern was involved in the investigation.

Reply #142731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754