Panther
Years ago

Home court Advantage- Unfair??

Just wanted to get other people's view on the current situation in the shorter season currently underway.
Obviously due to a lack of courts on Tuesday nights there are only a few stadiums that have courts on offer.
My question is, seeing as not all stadiums are available should there be a home court advantage situation?
Should North play games at Hillcrest? Adelaide at Morpett Vale? Woodville at Powerhouse?
Is this not an unfair advantage? Is it the other teams fault that they need to have those courts available for social so they can make money?
Opinions???

Topic #1266 | Report this topic

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Bring back games at Apollo and Forestville :P

Reply #14377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

head out the ground panther, don't think the home clubs make money from Tuesday nights district ball - all goes to basa. Plus what about the happenings at your stadium on the same Tuesday night. I do remember being on the opposite bench v South last year in our stadium. Can you pls show a little respect and at least get the name of the club and stadium right

Reply #14378 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance here, but surely there is not much of a "home court advantage" in ABA basketball anyway. All your courts are the same size are they not? Relatively using the same surface? It's not like football where the ground size and condition of the surface change from ground to ground.

Reply #14380 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Sorry Anonymous, Noarlunga Tigers at Morphett Vale...Woodville at the "DOME".Just like the Crows and Power no longer play at footy park!
If all money goes to BASA then why does it matter who plays where? Make it an even playing ground?
Look at the real question moron!

Reply #14381 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Court surfaces are different, rings are different, backboards, umpires, crowds...

Reply #14382 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jirachi, you can be such a tool. I've never seen someone be so defensive and confronting in the face of a legitimate discussion topic. Obviously Panther is talking about the advantages for certain teams, and whether this can be rectified, not trying to place blame.

In case you didn't notice everybody knows what Panther means when he says the Powerhouse, or Adelaide. You must be one of those people who corrects someone when the refer to AAMI Stadium as Footy Park. You have impressed evryone with your in depth and up to date knowledge of SA's basketball clubs, their correct names and the stadiums in which they play. Well done.

Reply #14385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther - Southern Tigers not Noarlunga Tigers moron indeed. You matching up on Kent tonight?

Reply #14388 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

I wish people would get the club names RIGTH and the Tigers do have a good amount of away games. look in www.sportingpulse.com.au

Reply #14391 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Well I wont be home tonight the basketballs on. To watch the southern Tigers (Where At the D H DOME AWAY GAME.

Reply #14393 | Report this post

mummy  
Years ago

children please stop calling each other names or i'll be forced to send you to your rooms without supper

Reply #14394 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Just as an enquiry, how many Adelaide players still play for "Southern"???
I doubt very much i'll be ligning up on Kent as from what I had heard he still hasn't made up his mind, but I could be wrong (for once)...

Reply #14402 | Report this post

Panther... in reference to you last post there are 0 players from the Suns in the current Mens program at Southern Tigers, HOWEVER... this forum and the club are deeper then Mens ABA. The womens team picked up some players but importantly, management was strengthened and even more importantly the juniors program was reinforced, ensuring the future of the sport in the south.

As for the home court issue, at this time of your its not a big deal. There are no crowds to speak of and the courts are all relatively the same. Most guys have played on most courts hundreds of times so its of little consequence where you play i think.

Reply #14436 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Mummy, just send them to bed. They are all grump and have had to much activity for one day!

A sleeping bag is required for this place!

Reply #14440 | Report this post

mummy  
Years ago

takes away their crayons and places the children carefully in their playpens .... play nice now boys

Reply #14443 | Report this post

More to it??  
Years ago

Jay,

Heard Southern picked up Adelaides phone book delivery round which gives them $30k, and this was a big carrot for them to merge. Anyone confirm this??

I heard the majority of the old Adelaide Suns mens players are playing for United Districts in Div 3.

Reply #14508 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

Adelaide Giants, Southern Districts, Southern Suns, Glenelg Tigers, Noarlunga Tigers and finally SOuthern Tigers who cares you can pretty much call them anything and you will be close

Reply #14510 | Report this post

biasbinding  
Years ago

prior to being glenelg they were CYS
and prior to being the adelaide giants they were ASK

Reply #14517 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Just to elaborate on my point, "SOUTHERN" Tigers play 6 from 9 games at Morphett Vale, North play 6 from 9 games at Hillcrest and Woodville play all 9 games at the "DOME". If no one thinks it an advantage, look at the top 4 teams- 1. North
2. Woodville
3. Sturt
4. Southern

Reply #14519 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Or...maybe there the best four teams? Considering where they finished last season this doesn't seem to be a major surprise.

After 6 games Southern 3w, 3L losing 2 of their games at home. Centrals/Norwood are on same W/L numbers but have played 0 at home. Sturt have played 0 at home and are third. Perhaps North have the comfort of their home change rooms but both Woodville and North games which they have lost have been at home.

Reply #14521 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

That's because at this atge of the season North have only played one game away from Hillcrest so if they've lost one it's a good chance it would be at home and Woodville only play at the Dome so that was a stupid point bringing that one up!
But who know's maybe your right, they may just be the best teams out there, but I would say playing on your home court is a huge advantage.

Reply #14532 | Report this post

anonanonanon  
Years ago

with only two regular line up players in cam wilson and mark fuller playing and a lot of talented youngster woodville wouldn't be getting a lot of home court advantage after woodville train at a lot of venues especially during the nbl season so the dome might be woodville's home court but!

Reply #14534 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

anonanonanon, as a player I know that home court is extremely helpful. It's a comfort thing for a lot of players and it helps mentally when playing. During the main season we never train at our court either yet I remember having a season where we only lost 1 game at home yet only won 3 away.
Someone said in a previous post, maybe these three teams are in the top 4 because they are better, yet you've just pointed out that Woodville for example have quite a depleted team compared to last year so you can't compare them from last year. On paper you wouldn't say Woodville should be in the top 4 after the changes that they've been forced to make. They are a very drilled team yes but how can you say that playing at the Dome is not helping them?

Reply #14536 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Panther,

I was throwing up statistics showing that you can put any slant you want on things v your list of who is sitting in the top four. I agree that playing at home is generally a better option for teams but you must still be able to play a bit to get the results on the board.

If you think that is a problem over summer think about the div 1 juniors. Generally 10 teams but they want to play an 11 round summer season. Depending on who you draw for your depleted 2nd round can have a big impact as top whether or not you make the finals.

Reply #14545 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Agreed that situation sucks!

Reply #14549 | Report this post

on safari  
Years ago

who cares...its just summer season!

Reply #14755 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754