Cat 15
Years ago

Sixers first home game - thoughts?

With the first home game of the season on Friday night, I thought i would give my run-down of the evening:
Pre-Game: Good to see the 36ers finally get some of the juniors involved and at the game. Tonights game featured St. Peters and PAC (Saints won easily). There are a few other school games coming over the next few weeks which is a good way to encourage people to come to the games.
Game: 36ers are a much better team than last year (couldn't be worse). Great to see a 36ers team with an inside presence (ie someone - actually several, who can score in the post). Going to be enjoyable to watch this season. Davidson my fave.
Halftime entertainment: Da Klinic was a good way to start. Gave us something to watch, was interesting and got the crowd involved.
Crowd: I thought it was a great crowd for the first game, given the limited promotion, the football prelim on telly and junior finals. The lowering of ticket prices was a great move and I get the feeling we are going to see some close to full houses later in the season if the 36ers are still winning.
Dome: Where exactly are the renovations? Apart from the plasmas in the corporate boxes and new court paint job I couldn't see much. How about a replay screen you can actually see? Could we replace the really old screen that lists all of the players and point totals with a big tv screen? The projector/screen combo that is used at the moment is a JOKE.
Others: Can we bring back the 36ers song? Should be played after the national anthem i.e. in the last 2 minutes before tip-off. A great way to get the crowd involved.
Cheer squad - do we have one? We need one to get the crowd involved more. It still felt like watching a chess match at times.

Well that's my thoughts. Anyone else?

Topic #12863 | Report this topic

Jkidd#5  
Years ago

fully agree with the team song, need to bring it back defiently it gives the crowd a way to get into the game

Reply #149801 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I never thought I would say it but bring back the seals - at least they tried to get the crowd into the game

Reply #149802 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Half time entertainment was a bit more exciting. I am not too fussed about what happens before the game like the junior's game because there is hardly anyone there to see it. Most people seem to arrive in the last 10 minutes before the game starts.

Reply #149817 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

new paint and screens, good.pale running out, not good.Jim beam cans, good.Team play, good. New recruits, good. Plenty of saturday night games, awesome!

Reply #149825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive not been to a sixers match at the dome for a long time, but when i was a regular, we didnt need the seals to get the crowd going. Thats was the announcers job.

Read the sixers site. Its pretty obvious they are replacing the scoring cube. I would expect it to be at least on par with the one they have over at the Blaze.

As a massive sixers fan who lives in Brisbane, let me just say how much it sux to hear some people on this board whine about how bad the team/venue is. The sixers have a DEDICATED venue. BASA let it get a bit run down, but at least its being fixed now. Same with the team, BASA didnt manage it well toward the end and now thats also being fixed.

Be thankful for what we have. The equal most successful club in the NBL with a strong future with Mal/Eddie at the top.

Reply #149826 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i hope eventually down the track they replace the seats with blue and red seats to match the new look of the club. To me that would make the place look cool. Also paint the curtain of the floor blue to the edge of the seats, i don't know if this is feasible due to the other courts but it would look cool. Its just good to see positive signs at the club both on and off the court for a change.

Reply #149828 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Couldnt have put it better. Stop livin in the past (eg team performance last season). The new season has begun with one of the most talented teams in the comp. I mean we got a 20 and 10 guy in ballinger, a guy that led the league in scoring (chapelle) and a pg who fits with our system better than any of us expected. I dont know where all teh Phil haters are now....they went missing with the off season recruits.
Hoping Mottram and Dench only take a small time to get into it aswell.

As for the dome, give it time, things are changing which they hadnt for years. Everything is positive at the sixers, so look forward.

Reply #149829 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I thought the First game was a great effort, the team had a bit of heart which was great to see. Maher playing his actual position instead of bringing the ball down really let him play his game his way.

Still think the guys were a bit rusty, Chappell and Mottram need some time to adjust and Chappell to regain fitness/get over his injury. Still a solid performance considering.

Im really excited about this season, Their D was 100% better when the cobwebs are completely off I think well be in for a good season.

Hope Chappell can be as exciting as Willie was to watch(well when he was on)

Reply #149833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on people - they didnt beat Wollongong by much so lets not get carried away.

HAwks one of the worst teams ever with only one NBL quality starter (Franklin). Rest are role players only.

Reply #149839 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah that performance wont beat many teams, but they showed signs just not all at the same time which is where the positive outlook comes from. Personally i was frustrated at the game especially the rotation D letting guys have wide open shots but the guys will learn each others roles and how they all fit together and when the do we should have a very competitive team.

Reply #149849 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I think they were pretty good seeing that was the 1st time the entire squad had been on the floor together. Davidson was great, and I like seeing a strong post player out there. Chappell will only get better as his back improves and he gets match fit. Good to see the contribution from Copes after all the negative crap he wore last season. A player his age shouldn't be expected to carry the work load he did last year.
The only real negative for me was the lack of rebounds from Chappell, Mottram, Dench & Cooper. 9 boards isn't enough from those guys. (Maher & Davidson had 12 between them).

Overall, we've got something to look forward to.

Reply #149852 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Not too bad, 6 players over 200cms. plus maher, davidson, ng. Top 4.

Reply #149853 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

A working buzzer for the scoreboard and 24 clock would be good, as well as the red light behind the glass main entrance end. All those telies and a basic requirement not working isn't too flash. Good thing there were no close buzzer beaters and only 1 24 situation.

Reply #149893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the game was good.. the only problem i have is with the announcer/dj PLEASE get some more NEW music, its always the same stuff.. and sumtimes there wasnt any music for a while and if the crowd is silent and theres not much happening the place loses its atmosphere... more NEW GOOD music playn the entire time please

Reply #149938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There was some stuff that had not been played before at the Dome so I don't know that you can get on the music guy's back for not trying something new!

Reply #149944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

new music yes but also a complete lack of music. I thought they should have played more tempo clapping music etc at the start of the game to keep the crowd going but it was like i was at the tennis for a large portion of the match.

Reply #149953 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

sniff :( just wish i was there.

Reply #149961 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

(Hang on people - they didnt beat Wollongong by much so lets not get carried away.)

Taipans beat the Hawk by 12 points the following night, does this mean the Taipans have a bad team according to your outlook?

Reply #150003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

1. It was the Tigers who beat them.
2. Apparently the Hawks played very well in that game.

Talked to someone who saw both games who seemed to believe that if the Hawks had played like that against Adelaide, they could well have won.

Reply #150010 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754