cheezeburger
Years ago

Jacob thinking of Europe

i recently heard from a easten mav source that jacob holmes has had european scouts after his services.would this be a good move for jacob?

Topic #1332 | Report this topic

nito  
Years ago

NBL Cap about 770K. Euroleague cap around 4 mill Australian.

Reply #15284 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

good move for him - not good for the 36ers obviously

Reply #15285 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I'd Be Dirty On Him If He Did Leave, We Wouldn't Get To See The Finished Polished Player The Sixers Have Put All Their Time And Effort Into

Reply #15291 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

With all due respect to Jacob, I do not think he is ready for Europe.

Reply #15298 | Report this post

Roy and HG  
Years ago

MW, and exactly how much european experience do you have. Do you know that Jacob was an allstar 5 member of the Albert Schweitzer Tournament as an 18 year old against the best juniors Europe has to offer. And that he scored 42 on a Div 3 Spanish team as a 17 year old. That Davis Anderson only had 2 years in the NBL before he left for Europe. Or that it may be smart for Jacob to take a 100K a year (6 months job) to build his rep so that in 3 or 4 year time he can develop into a million dollar player. Oh and by the way Kriss. If you ever want to give up that sort of money due to loyalty to the 36ers let me know because I will take the job on your behalf.

Reply #15299 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Whats my European experience got to do with anything? My opinion (and that is exactly all it was) is that he is not ready for Europe.

You would not happen to be related to him would you Roy and HG?

Reply #15300 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Isn't Jacob a true Australian as in he doesn't have a European passport??? If he is Australian he classifies as an import and no offence to Jacob but not many teams would look at him over a talented American. Different story if he has a European passport. Hasn't the European season already started as well? So does that mean he's thinking of next season?

Reply #15302 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

WHAT DOES HE HAVE TO LOSE?

MAYBE AUSTARALIAN BASKETBALL IN GENERAL NEEDS MORE YOUNGER PLAYERS LIKE JH TO GENERATE INTEREST FROM O/S.

IT CAN ONLY BE +VE FOR AUSTRALIAN BALL AS WELL AS FOR THE PLAYER(S).

IT MAY ATTRACT MORE SPONSORSHIP?

WHO KNOWS, BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY IT IS UP TO JH TO DECIDE WHAT IS BEST FOR HIM.

IF IT IS TRUE AND HE DECIDES TO GO, GOOD LUCK TO HIM.

Reply #15303 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If the scouts have been looking at his shooting latley i doubt whether he would be offered that much at all.

Panther you make a good point although Jacob at his best would match most imports in say a div2 / div 3 league.

I say grab the $$$ if you can Jake.

Downside is that if we shuffle the team and it does not work out for him he may end up as another Stiffy in that we do not have a spot for him to come back to.

Reply #15304 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please don't post in all capitals. Thanks.

Reply #15305 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

It's inevitable at some stage. And Europe has heaps of different leagues of all different standards so he's not necessarily going to go to one of the strongest comps (good luck to him if he does). I think it'd be good for him and should improve his game. I'd rather him do that than move to another NBL club. I wouldn't imagine he'd spend his whole career over there so we would see him back in the NBL, hopefully a much better player, and hopefully with the Sixers.

Reply #15306 | Report this post

An interesting thread and some valid comments. Personally i agree with Roy and HG. Jacob would be a really good candidate for any Euro leagues in my opinion due to his strength. He has great power in his legs and would easily cope with the physicality of those leagues. I guess it is just a matter of time before he goes but what are his contractual obligations with the Sixers?

Another question worth posting... What would be the ideal age for someone to make that move? He's only 21.

Reply #15307 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

He has similar offensive abilities to Cat at that age (maybe even better). Cat went to Europe and came back a much better player, good luck to Jake if he wants to make that move, but I would love to see him grow as a Sixer and lead us to the promised land again!

Reply #15308 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jacob could play in Europe, no worries. There are several ABL players that have done so. Cioffi is playing in Italy as we speak. Ciof has game, but Jacob is in another league. He could handle it.

Reply #15325 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Cioffi is playing in a division 2 league and has a European passport, whereas Jacob would be playing as an import. David Anderson is another one who is playing under a European passport as many of the "Australian" players do!
If Jacob was going to Europe he would already be there.

Reply #15329 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Doesnt David Anderson have an italian passport as well?

Reply #15332 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

15325. TheDoctor,

There are not too many guys that play Div 1 Euro League from Australia. Plenty playing in Europe but not many at that level.

Anderson, Anstey, Pero, Harvey, Nielson, Cattalini are players that are playing at that level now or did last year. All these players are capable of scoring 20 + each and every night in the NBL and are at or near their peaks in terms of age - 24 +. Many of these guys also have Euro passports. This obviously has a big impact on whether or not Holmes could get descent money over there.

Job security is not good there either. Holmes may be better off holding out until he can earn those big tax free Euroleague $$. if you get injured or cut at least you have earnt plenty in the meantime.

Reply #15336 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

roy and hg> In Response To Your Email I ask You What Would You Think If He Did Go To Europe?

Then Come Back To Another Club Like Sydney Or Melbourne. I Would Be Spewing, Hes 21 And Can Thurther His Skills In The NBL.

My Opinion> When Hes 23-24 Hell Be A Gun Player, Look For A Euro Team Then.

Reply #15338 | Report this post

go for it jacob, last i heard it was NZ ?

Reply #15547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754