123abc
Years ago

Sixers Radar on Big Luke

In The Advertiser today Phil Smyth said that he is contacting Luke Schenscher to replace Brett Maher as he could be out for 10 weeks.

Luke, coming off and injury and released by a mutual agreement from German championship club Barose is being persued by Adelaide and if no other offers come up, and he recovers from injury, may be a Sixer this season!

(No article on Adelaide Now yet)

Topic #13596 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong - That would be a great pick up - But don't we need a guard to replace Brett?

Reply #158612 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maher could be out 10 weeks? Wasn't someone saying two weeks the other day? Bugger.

The Euroleague article I read suggested that Luke had not yet recovered from the injury he had - anyone know more?

A centre might not be our biggest need, but another option wouldn't hurt and it'd be interesting to see how Luke went in the NBL.

Reply #158615 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

With regards to Mahers absense, i think the medicos are advising towards 4 more weeks, while Brett is doing everything he can to get back in 2 weeks.

With regards to Luke, i think it is all about maintaining contact with local favourite sons...
If Luke feels his best rehab options are with the Bull's medicos in Chicago, then that is where he should stay. If they 'cure' his tendonitis quickly, then I am sure Phil would welcome him, and i guess all Phil can do is let him know he is welcome.

Reply #158617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pure crap.

just smyth pretending to be interested in adelaide guys cos his job is on the line.

wouldnt know how to use him properly anyway

Reply #158618 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Although we really don't need a big man and yes a guard would be a much better option, I think Phil is thinking about the future on this one. Get in good with Luke now and we could perhaps sign him next year if he enjoys himself.
Also, don't be suprised if Dench comes down with a bad injury and we pick up a guard!!! Anyone remember when J Will went down during the year so we could pick up Garrison (I think it was)???

Reply #158619 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maher out 2-4 weeks I think. Could be that they're saying 10 to make it a more attractive proposition for Luke? Would he be as interested if it were just for the fortnight?

Reply #158625 | Report this post

bada bing  
Years ago

Chappell will have to play as a 2 guard for that period, or be sacked and replaced by an import guard.

Reply #158626 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Maher said on radio,on saturday night at half-time,that rehab was coming along well and he felt pretty good, at least 2 more weeks then see how it feels. (Reckon you might be right Isaac 2-4 weeks but suggest about 10 to Luke)

Reply #158634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly #158618. Don't for a second think he is unaware of the heat that comes from this forum.

Reply #158635 | Report this post

Moose 98  
Years ago

He would be rated 10 points right?

1. If Dench were to be 'let go' would we have enough points to sign luke?

Reply #158637 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"but suggest about 10 to Luke"

Because that will really win him over for the future!

Unless they are trying to get around an NBL rule?

Reply #158638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heres a thought Phil - why dont u just ring his agent and find out rather than getting your PR machine (boti) to do a full page article on it just so Mal thinks you are doing something about it.

Reply #158641 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sorry my mistake. The article says Maher out 4 weeks
(I thought it said 10 weeks). Then if they can get him they would have to rethink the roster when Maher returns.

Reply #158644 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

If he did come over, it would end up like the Derek Moore situation, where the sixers mess around for weeks trying to get the NBL to approve him staying on the team, and the NBL does what it can to make sure it DOESN"T happen ..

Reply #158647 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

This has to be a PR stunt by Phil - another big man in the squad when Axel and Mottram are already struggling for minutes - doesn't make sense

Reply #158660 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you can fairly write it off as Phil making a "just in case we can get him" call (not a big deal) and Boti creating a story when not much else is happening (no POTW announcement yet, for example). Both just doing their job. Calling it a "stunt" is a bit unfair in this case?

If Schenscher were available, would you make changes to accommodate him? If Maher stayed out, would you add him to the logjam in the middle just because he was there?

Reply #158662 | Report this post

Skyhigh  
Years ago

How many years is Axel and Mottram contracted for?

Reply #158663 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dench has a 1+1 (second year is an option at the discretion of both club and player). Don't know about Mottram - his signing was announced fairly quietly due to complications with his Italian club at the time.

Reply #158666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22788332-5006371,00.html

Reply #158712 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Gee Phil Smyth is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't.

If Luke Schenscher signed with any other NBL club, Phil Smyth and the 6ers would be accused of not doing enough to recruit local players, now he is showing some sort of interest in recruiting a local Adelaide boy he is being accused of using it as a PR stunt.

FFS he cannot win with some of you.

Reply #158715 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I just find it funny that people here have found this to be a way to try to give phil shit, but if they had said, no we are not interested those SAME people would be complaining that we hadnt tried, get a life guys not everything he does is wrong. You dont pull a PR stunt like this because its to easy for Luke to go turn around and say " no they never contacted me" then your caught out.

I think its pro active of them to go after him, even if he cant play this year maybe possibility for next year, Mottram and Schenscher rotating as centre...

Reply #158717 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

motts over dench any day of the week

Reply #158720 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think this time it's Phil being legitimate and actually trying to improve the squad. Don't think this is some PR spin but a legit inquiry to see if Luke would be interested.

Reply #158726 | Report this post

Isiah Thomas  
Years ago

It's people finding any excuse to bash Phil.

As mentioned above, you would all be complaing if he Luke signed with another NBL team calling him not active enough.

Reply #158732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"you would all" - relax, all of two people made comments suggesting this was anything but valid interest.

PS. Schensch sounding like a possibility. Guess they'd have to cut someone though?

Reply #158736 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

thanks for the update isaac

Reply #158748 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

With Maher out for 4 weeks and Luke still injured and overseas, when do the club think he is going to be ready to replace Maher? Maher will be back before he does. Doesn't make sense to me to say he will be a replacement for Maher. Besides that, the club do not have a very good history for recruiting injured and injury prone players. They don't need another one right now.

Reply #158755 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Who would people cut for Schenscher???
If they cut Chappell, they wouldnt really have a SF so i guess its going to have to be Dench or Cooper, and going by how minutes have been distributed the last couple of games Dench would be the obvious choice, but i guess it could come down to who has the shorter term contract and what is going to cost the club less.
Good to see us having a crack at a local, and hopefully we get him and it makes a big difference to the team, it will be interesting to see how he goes, he would have to be almost the biggest player in the league, but has never been a noted scorer from what ive heard, more of a rebounder/defender, which prob makes him a good fit for the 36ers cos he wont be demanding the ball on offense.
I was sorta hoping both Newley and Schensch would get cut in Europe and return to the 36ers during the season, a bit like rillie did at the pigs a few years back, but it doesnt seem like Newley will be going anywhere if he keeps up his scoring.

Reply #158756 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

also even though he is injured, he is still quite young, so its a bit different to the Wheeler scenario for example, and if he comes and we keep him happy who knows he could be a long term prospect for the club and a local player to build around which is exactly what the 36ers need

Reply #158757 | Report this post

Gravity man  
Years ago

Big Luke be great in a Sixer uniform but it wont happen in next two years,hes injured now and furthurmore we have enough big men in the sixers squad, we are now on a winning roll,no need to recruit now and unsettle the team with changes,if ng was seriously injured the sixers would cut chappell
for an off guard like rashad phillips.The bottom line we have a good team the mix is almost there and when maher is back we will play better.

Reply #158758 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Sign Schensch to an end of year contract with options for future years .

Cut Dench and pay him out .

Cut Chappell and who cares as he is as good as a 34 year old Marcus Timmons this season .

Sign either a playmaking guard to cover Brett in absence or an athletic and defensive minded SF .

As long as points and creative accounting work we may change the course of the season and acclompish something for the future .

Would Ballinger be upset to see Chappell go ? and would that hinder us keeping him when becoming naturalised ? hope not and doubtful .

as of 09-10 season .

As talked about Ballinger is a 5 year player worth building a team around , bonus when naturalised.

Schensch as starting C .

Mottram can play a role .

Get Holmes back to captain the team and Kersten as back up point .

In 2 years time we can have 2 imports of our choice , a PG and G-F , both athletic , exciting and winners , eg : Cortez Groves , Dave Thomas or Rosell Ellis types .

Davidson until he breaks down and as long as he is looked after without paying too many $$ , i doubt he would be too greedy at this late stage in career .

Newley may be possibility .

The rest is up for grabs .

Thoughts .

???.

Reply #158759 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

acclompish ?? hmmm , accomplish maybe .

Reply #158761 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I have been meaning to post this for a while now, but I haven't really had the time to get online for that long but.. about two weeks ago I ran into Luke in Munich. I was on my way to the Hofbrauhaus, when I spotted him walking past me with some other tall blokes. So in my slightly inebriated state (usually I wouldn't bother people I don't know), I called out 'Hey Luke!'. Then he looked around, kinda looked a bit suprised that someone knew who he was and came over for a short chat. He introduced himself, asked who I was, what I was up to over in Germany and all that, how I was enjoying it.. you get the picture. Then I asked how he was finding German basketball and his team, he told me that he was injured and was gonna be out for a few months (I didn't know this at the time). Then I asked if he was considering coming back to the NBL and he said he hoped to in the future. So then I was like, I hope you come to the 36ers, we would love to have you there etc. So yea, thats my story basically, damn good bloke and makes me wanna see him in 36ers uniform even more now.

Reply #158766 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

You can't blame people for being cynical, have been fed a diet of contrived spin from Smyth and sidekick Boti for years. Why this is a story at all at this moment in time IS questionable. Smacks of cheap opportunism on Smyths behalf. As a previous post suggested, just ring his agent. You and I all know Schenscher replacing Maher will not happen, why even suggest it. I will donate a kidney and my left testicle if it does. Just another story taking the basketball public for fools.

Reply #158774 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754