sweet balls
Years ago

Best Ever Not To Make NBL

Who do you think are the best ever local players from the central league not to play any NBL games?

Topic #1364 | Report this topic

cheezeburger  
Years ago

jason dix

Reply #15686 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Ben Osborne, Greg Olbrich

Reply #15693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Osborne played NBL for Gold Coast

Reply #15697 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Ben Osborne, 100% CAREER FG.

Reply #15699 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

Ron Nunnelly

Reply #15720 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Damien Anderson.

Reply #15722 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

My bad, Damien hasn't played in the Central Conference so that could be a continuation of this post...Best ever Australian player not to make NBL...

Reply #15724 | Report this post

Easily Jason Dix.

I think another point of interest could be worst players from Central conference to play NBL. You could reel off half of Sturts roster in previous seasons to find a winner there.

Only draw back being that Christian Bell hasn't played for Sturt [that i know of].

Reply #15737 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I agree with Jay R. Jason Dix should have played NBL at some stage. He's a freak. Don't know the story there. May have chosen not to?

Also agree with you on the Sturt thing. What the hell is Todd Gower doing there? He was a good junior player, but with his size, he has to have a shooting guards game, which he clearly doesn't. I like Hambour's intensity though. Could be some potential there. A Troy Pillon type, workhorse..

Reply #15738 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

Jason Bayliss but i hear he is talking with Melbourne

Reply #15743 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jason Bayliss? Better than Dix? You're kidding right?

Reply #15747 | Report this post

Shipahoy  
Years ago

Bayliss averaged 1.9 pts a game at Mt Gambier & has never averaged over 10 pts a game in state league.
A prodigeous towel waver & seems to enjoy watching the sport.

Reply #15750 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

I believe Dix had an opportunity but didn't take it due to work commitments. Also don't believe the full time nature of the sport allowed for comfortable earnings.

Also agree with the doctor about a certain player he mentioned.

enough on that though.....

Reply #15756 | Report this post

Doc, you make a good point about Hambour. Great intensity, but really... there are plenty of more talented players with that same intensity. Right place at right time i guess...

I wish him good luck though.

Reply #15758 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

At least get my name right informer and Shipahoy! It's 1 's'!!! You should know that informer christ!
And Shipahoy, you didn't do your research too well it was 4 points per game!!!

Reply #15760 | Report this post

issac  
Years ago

bayliss, hambour, orbrich, gower forget them, they are all average players at best.

what about

simon bennett
travis leaver
grant yates
steve holder
jason dix
mike hinson
steve denton
mike harris
andrew pudifoot
adam cunningham
daniel cioffi
paul pochintesta

all these guys are ballers

Reply #15802 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

That'd be one s and two a's, tosser.

Reply #15809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

issac must be a lunchcutter by the looks of his list

Reply #15815 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

How can anyone include Steve Denton, Andrew Pudifoot, Adam Cunningham or Travis Leaver in a bets ever not to play NBL list? Did anyone watch last years GF? Puds had an awesome game....

Reply #15816 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jason Bayliss talking to Melbourne? Maybe he said 'I rang someone in Melbourne'.

Reply #15817 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Would someone spell my name right! One "s" in Baylis!

Reply #15819 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I know I look old but as soon as Melbourne found out how old I was they didn't want me.... ;)

Reply #15820 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Sorry Panther! One 's' from now on...
I think even you would agree that Dix is on another level to almost anyone playing ABL in recent years...

Reply #15823 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yer definitely, from what i've heard he was offered a contract a couple of years ago but the money he was offered was no where near what he was earning with the bank so he turned it down. Smart move in my eyes.
It's going to be interesting to see how he goes after his knee op. Hopefully he won't miss a beat after having the time off.
We all hate to see a player go down with a knee injury, or any injury at that, especially someone of his calibre and demeanor.

Reply #15826 | Report this post

charcoal  
Years ago

pochintesta and cioffi haqve both had chances, but simply were not good enough....in my opinion, jason dix is clearly better than all the above mentioned players. best not to play NBL, but because he chose not to. i wander if he regrets that decision....money wise of course not, but money is not everything, not even close. missed playing at the top level......that would hurt me, even if i had to be poor for a couple of years....but who is to say he would not have torn it up and got paid 80000 for a few years.

Reply #15844 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Maybe he sees his corporate job as his first commitment and ball as a pastime. He may see his job in the same light as others see sport...

Reply #15850 | Report this post

of tha heeze  
Years ago

I think dix is one of the smart ones who knows that playing ball in Aus will only just pay the bills and leave nothing else. He is one of the select few who have game as well as a brain.

Reply #15881 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

please tell me someone was serious when they mentioned greg oblrich and the nbl in the same sentence

Reply #15906 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

Dix by a mile. Anyone who suggests otherwise is kidding themselves. Woollacott anyone?????????

Reply #16049 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Dix has played a few games with the 36ers when injuries have hit hard, if my memory serves me rightly. Anyone got stats on this?

Reply #16077 | Report this post

ahem!  
Years ago

think his brother chris dix played for the sixers or at least made the bench

Reply #16081 | Report this post

Jason Baylis
Jason Bayliss
Jayson Baylis
Jason Bayleaves
Bason Jaylis (or should that be "J-less")

Who really cares. We're all talking about the same person

Reply #16172 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Pochintesta has the BEST shot I've ever seen. Pity about the injuries he sustained across all of last year. Tore the WA equivalant of the ABA a new ring before he was selected by the Wildcats. Should have made the 6ers over gower and J-will. Gower.....hmm well I guess the sturt thing is always good eh!
Dix is good. Give the boy props.

Bags you should join Sturt and get a invite to 6ers training.

Reply #16174 | Report this post

Are we talking best not to MAKE the NBL (as the title suggests) or best not to PLAY NBL. Technically Dix MADE the NBL but chose not to play.

Reply #16185 | Report this post

How about a worst ever to make NBL?

I was thinking Brett Rainbow but I just can't seem to go past Todd Gower

Reply #16237 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Oh yeah great idea.

Dust off all your JW (x2) swipes...

Reply #16238 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Nathan Hawkes was by far the worst in my opinion, with J-Will a VERY close second.

Reply #16250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MW,

How can you honestly say that Nathan Hawkes is worse than Todd Gower??????

Reply #16251 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I'd like to give Gower a go first, Hawkes and Williams have proven themselves to be top class losers

Reply #16258 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

And I apologise for using the term "top class"...

Reply #16259 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

MW Gower has had a far go and he is crap. I am sorry but he is why not get Shaq from Eastern or Paul Bell or get Whitmore bacck from retirement at they can perform at ABL level you can't say that about Gower. Mind you he washes a good car.

Reply #16261 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

(at least)
me good no english

Reply #16262 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

My knowledge on Gower is limited, i agree then, get rid of him!

Reply #16264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You don't exactly try to put it in a friendly fashion, do you guys?

How about "I don't think he's/they're up to NBL standard"?

Hawkes, Williams, Gower, etc -- "first class losers" is downright unfair.

And I'm sure negative things were said somewhere of Matt Illman before he was given a shot. Not everyone is going to excel, or get far off the bench (Truslove, for e.g.).

Let's keep it civil please.

Reply #16265 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Your right Isaac, just having a bit of fun!

Reply #16266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ron nunnelly by a mile, shane ahmatt and grant yates

Reply #16268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Ahmatt played for the sixers during dunlap's reign

Reply #16269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As bad as you may think Gower, Williams and Hawkes are - they have still played NBL. In fact, last time I checked, J-WIll had 3 NBL Championships. Unless any of you have played at the NBL level, or higher, whilst you are entitled to your opinion, you should keep your opinion civil. Jumping on forums such as these and just ripping these guys makes you look like your nothing but jealous player wanna-be's.

End of the day, these guys have played at the NBl level - you haven't. Deal with it!!

Reply #16270 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Thanks Mrs Williams....

Reply #16274 | Report this post

I reckon; some of these posts are pretty nasty!

If you look at what Jason Williams was doing 2-4 yrs ago he was one of the best players in the ABL in a team that won 2 ABL titles. You can't win, if he had not made the 6ers then you would get the same knobs bagging some other easy target in the 6ers saying that Jason Williams should be in there for them.

The above could also be said for Hawkes.

And as for Gower - the guy has probably put his life on hold to train and be in the 6ers squad in the past. Shouldnt that count for something??

I am far from a sturt supporter or Jason Williams fan, but fairs fair.

Reply #16281 | Report this post

PS: Here is an article I found:

http://sa.basketball.net.au/fs_newsitem.asp?id=627&orgID=9&Oname=Basketball+SA&O1c=6&O10c=12

22 pts, 10 rebounds, 9 assists - MW what would you say about this? Not bad numbers in ABL grandfinal, which the guys team actually won.

Reply #16282 | Report this post

charcoal  
Years ago

i am with you jumpin baron brown.....i dont have any major problems with j williams being in the team, i think just some people think that other guys should get a go...which i also agree with. williams has been there for a fair while and done nothing too exciting. i would much rather see his minutes go to ng or gerlach even, who still have the potential to have more of an impact at NBL level. as for gower, i think this is a different story. people are entitled to there opinions (yes, some a bit overboard), and my opinion is that there are at least 15-20 players in state league than him, and in my opinion, he is the worst player i have seen in a sixers uniform.

Reply #16283 | Report this post

street & smith's  
Years ago

MW,

1 word mate GEALOUS

Post #16270 is exactly right, you're calling a guy who's played in 3 NBL championships a loser.

The fact you don't understand J is a role player who creates for his team mates scoring oportunities by moving the ball at the right times, just goes to show that you may watch a lot of NBL but you still have NO IDEA about the game of basketball.

In other words idiots like yourself only notice the flashy plays that everyone notices.

Phil Smyth is no idiot,
He picks the team,
He puts Jason on the floor.
You may not understand this but like I said there's a lot you don't understand.

You are entitled to your opinion.
But so am I

I suggest you learn more about basketball so that, one day you may be able to make an intellegent or even slightly educated comment regarding the sport.

350 odd posts of just opinionated crap!

get yourself a life!!!

Reply #16285 | Report this post

keely  
Years ago

wow, cop that MW......fair call. phil smyth is no idiot.

Reply #16288 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

GEALOUS?? I would spell it Jealous but that is just me...

Firstly, they are MY opinions and only my opinions, not facts.

I will not stand down from my opinion that Jason Williams is not what the Sixers need as their 10th, yes everyone, 10th roster spot considering he has had 7 years to develop. I don't care if he scored 30, 15 and 10 in that ABL GF, the fact is the kid cannot cut it in the NBL, period. Time to give someone else a go at that level.

Now I admit calling Hawkes and Williams losers was uncalled for and for that I am sorry.

So Keely, street & smith's, jumpin baron brown and charcoal, why don't you post some of your OWN opinions rather than attack others.

Reply #16306 | Report this post

Street & Smith's  
Years ago

I would use a J too usually oops,

Dix is the obvious answer.
But just like Williams if he played NBL as opposed to ABL he wouldn't be a big man anymore, just a medium size player. He wouldn't be guarding 4 and 5 men he would be guarding 1-2-3 men.
I personally don't think many realise the jump in not just skill but more athletiscism from ABL to NBL.

Nice posts JBB an charcoal

Jas, Hawks, Gower and any other bench Sixer give the club way more than they take.
They put their financial lives / carrers on hold to become training fodder for the Sixers, knowing very well their chances of making a full time job out of Bball are slim.

If you divided their pay by the amount of hours a week they spend training you may realise just how un-fair the comments you make are.

If J isn't what the Sixers need
(which is your opinion thats fine)

Then who or what is?

Reply #16338 | Report this post

mike r  
Years ago

charcoal, get your facts right, do you know how many times Jason Dix has been asked to play for the sixers but HE refused because his job payed more then the sixers could, Pochintesta and cioffi definately should have made it, but their both getting better somewhere else

Reply #36934 | Report this post

mike r  
Years ago

hey ive seen cioffis picture at the back of the dome, i think hes made it alright

Reply #36935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gower is an average state leauge player at best

Reply #36947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754