Isaac
Years ago

Locked: Mark Davis fined

I'm not sure if it made The Advertiser yesterday, but it was available on various news sites on the net. I guess this provides a conclusion to the previous thread.

Mark Davis has avoided gaol after driving while disqualified for the second time in seven years, but was hit with an $800 fine by the magistrate.

"The court heard Davis was only driving the car because his female colleague had suffered a severe asthma attack, and the former basketballer had taken the wheel to drive her to a chemist."

Topic #1382 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

"Female colleague" hey? He would have a few of them scattered over Adelaide...

Reply #15900 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

I thought he was married...????

Reply #15937 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I Hope He Doesn't Get Crusted Again And Listens To The Judge!

Hate To See Him Behind Bars

Reply #15953 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

He his (or was, no idea) ss. Worst kept secret in Adelaide is MD's after hours exploits.

Reply #15956 | Report this post

slit your guts  
Years ago

Why Do You Keep Putting A Capital Letter In Front Of Every Word, Moron, You Learn That In Grade 1

Reply #15971 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

MW: tell us more...

Reply #15980 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please don't. End of thread, OK?

Cheers.

Reply #15981 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

slit your guts: you seem a bit edgy? I got any special relation to MD that we are not aware of?

Reply #15982 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

slit your guts: you seem a bit edgy? You got any special relation to MD that we are not aware of?

Reply #15983 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

No more from me. apologies Isaac.

Reply #15984 | Report this post

Doctor dunk  
Years ago

Whatever the chairman of the boards does off the court is his business. He deserves some respect for all of the years crashing the boards like an animal.

Reply #15991 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

That's not fully correct, given that as a sports star and a role model to our kids, he definitely has responsibilities that extend beyond a bb court

Reply #15994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, and as a citizen must abide by our laws with regard to controlling a vehicle, but private life is private life beyond that.

We've already had this discussion, and we've already discussed how some of his prior actions have not been positive for himself, for the community or for the club. But his social life is not a topic for this forum.

Thanks.

Reply #15998 | Report this post

Doctor dunk  
Years ago

I don't condone what he did but he can't be held reponsible for other peoples actions and bad parenting.

Reply #16002 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

My apologies Isaac if I stepped over the line before.

Reply #16004 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

Doctor Dunk, that man mentors kids and gives them advise the very same things that he does himself, what kind of mentor is that. And that is his direct resposibility, if he can't stay a proper role model then he should keep away from mentoring kids.

Reply #16006 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

SS - I am sure David does NOT give advice as to what he does off the court.

So therefore, what you are saying is redundant, and at best, petty.

Leave the man alone, he was, for crying out loud, trying to save someoens life, which meant he had to disregard hi suspension...or would you have rathered he sat there and said "no....i cant drive you, i have to sit here and watch you die".

Yeah, what a great role model THAT would have been!

Reply #16010 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

you have got to be joking yogee...you mean you actually believe his excuse....i thought you would see straight through that. please.

Reply #16018 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Actually, I DO beleive it.

And as I said before when the court case first was mentioned, I dont think it deserves to be publicly debated like this.

He has been found guilty, a penalty handed down as the courts system has seen fit to do.

Unless we were all there at the time, we have no right to really comment on it.

SO this is the last I will be.

Reply #16019 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

In that life threatening situation I would have done exactly the same thing. What's a better option, a fine and/or gaol sentence or the life of another human being? It's just unfortunate that a good deed like that was tarnished by a previous conviction. I wouldn't even have given him an $800 fine considering the judge took into consideration the medical emergency that led him to drive the car.

Reply #16020 | Report this post

ahem!  
Years ago

Yogee got to say 'saving a life' might be a bit exteme. Helping someone out when they are ill etc.

but if he was 'saving a life' he would have been taking her to a hospital surely not a chemist.

and before lots jump down my throat yes ventolin is vital to allergy sufferers and yes people can die from asthma but i'd say if they were in danger of dying and they were near me i'd be heading to the hospital not the chemist.

Reply #16026 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, if you knew Woodcroft...the nearest hospital is 15 minutes away in private car (either Noarlunga or Flinders Medical - right in the middle)...whereas a chemist was only 2 minutes away.

Yes stating that he saved a life was probably overstating it...but it was made in trying to prove a point.

Reply #16032 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Always is....

The final say in the matter is that the magistrate accepted his version of events, which means his story was crebidle.

Reply #16035 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

C'mon Yogee,
The big man got off and none of us wanted to see him go to jail but medical emergency!!!! Would you or me have got off? And more importantly, if you or me had a child that was hit by a drunk driver who was 3 times over the limit for the 3rd time, regardless of time of day, who they were or medical emergencies!!!, what would you say then regardless of a judges decision?

Reply #16046 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

Asthma related.........yeah right.
I guess Davis and his "companion" can both breathe a little easier after hearing that verdict.

Reply #16051 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

Talking about credible stories, we all have heard of successful cases of insanity pleas for absolutely sane ones, so that scenario about medical intervention just because judge excepted don't means ish.

Furthermore, Mark has been seen driving around Adelaide quite recently given that his disqualification expires in Jan 2005...how you explain that?

Reply #16052 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry to get back to the role model thing, but being a role model to children is about the whole package (professional and private conduct) and when you play elite sport your action off the field or court are just as publicised by the media as your action on the court, or more so. Just ask Wayne Carey, Byron Pickett, Gary Ablett, this list could go on forever about role models not taking their "roles" in society seriously.

If you have a kid who sees Mark Davis as a role model (well, people attend "his" camp, dont they?) try and get them to change to someone like Brett Maher, who has never brought the game or his role into disrepute.

Reply #16059 | Report this post

slit your guts  
Years ago

"I guess Davis and his "companion" can both breathe a little easier after hearing that verdict."

refl

Reply #16069 | Report this post

Yogee,

Save a life, you're joking!!
Risk the lives of other road users more like it!!
If its a real emergency call in ambulence or find another driver.
He's proven three times now he can't drink then make the decision not to drive.
But he's still on the road, him and Byron Pickett that scares me.

Celebrities should have the book thrown at them, not get hit with fines they can afford.

What are we saying its OK for you to risk everyones life by driving pissed cause you can grab a board or kick a football.

Reply #16124 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Actually, he is off the road, his license is suspended.

"Call an ambulance"....I can tell you FIRST HAND that the response time, under lights and sirens, from the nearest ambulance station (Noarlunga) is a good 7-8 minutes. I know, I have done it many, many times.

The chemist was 2 minutes away......most reasonable people would agree what Davis did was the correct thing. SO did the judge, and the prosecutor...people who are TRAINED in law, not people who wish to anonomously pass judgement and comment on an internet forum.

"are we telling everyone its ok to drive drunk [paraphrased]"...no...and Davis was NOT facing drink driving charges. Keep it factual if you want to debate, dont twist previous events into the current siutation.

"He has proven 3 times he cant make the decision to drink and not drive".....when was the third?? He has only ever been convicted on 2 drink driving charges. I am not defending him, nor anyone else on that. Having witnessed, and experienced, the horrors of driunk drivers personally, I will never ever say that it is ecusable. However, as a human being, I accept if you are caught once in a genuine mistake, and learn from that mistake, that is forgiveable.

How did he risk the lives of other drivers? I dont recall him being charged with any type of dangerous driving charge.

"Find another driver".....yep...thats realistic.

Maybe you should engage brain before posting montezuma's....it would save my time in having to correct you.

Reply #16126 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

"Maybe you should engage brain before posting montezuma's....it would save my time in having to correct you."

Perhaps you could take your own advice? The amount of times you've posted incorrect, ill-informed and just plain bullshit on this forum is unbelievable. If you would quit the forum again, you'd save everyone time from having to correct you!

Reply #16127 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Hoop Addict

Not sure how long your post will remain, but...

Well said. That is the most sensible thing I have read on this forum in ages.

Reply #16128 | Report this post

To anyone concerned,

I regret my previous post was thank you for pointing out wrong and stupid.
I sincereley apologise to first Mark, and anyone else I offended.

Hopefully it and this will be remove.

Reply #16135 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Sorry, I would like to apologise to montezumas for my last comment about engaging brain.....far for it to be me to throw stones at others.....and to Hoop Addict...yes I have been incorrect, and will be in the future....unfortunately it's a 2 faceted thing for me a) working within the media industry, sometimes we get reports that are not correct, which we pass on in good faith b) i am only human, and will make errors. I gvuess if you dont like what I post, I can only suggest you dont read those posts.

Reply #16140 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Hard to skip 500+ posts Yogee.

I know plenty of people share my sentiments. When you cry foul over 'personal attacks' then say shit like you have in this thread, I think you leave yourself open to critisism.

And don't blame sources, or media releases, for your lack of accuracy & knowledge. You say plenty of things on your own behalf to make yourself look like a fool.

Reply #16141 | Report this post

Yogee,

For all the fuss it caused I assumed it was a third DUI and for my mistake I am sorry.

Your'e response didn't offend me because engaging brain was about right.

Reply #16142 | Report this post

Hoop,

I would like to know what I have done off this thread that has got you so upset.

ie. the amount of times you...

Reply #16143 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Hoop Addict....as I said, I am only human....which is one reason why I make mistakes.

At least I acknowledge when I do, and rectify them.

If you think that it was a newsflash that some people dont like what I post, or like me as a person, it aint. I'm not in it for a popularity contest.

This thread is pointless and has gone way off topic, I wont be bothering with it anymore, continue on your own if you want.

Reply #16144 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

montez think hoop might have been referring to yogee but i could be wrong.

btw everybody what happened to Jirachi his list of posts have disappeared.

Reply #16146 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

I am an asthma sufferer and have attended the flinders medical centre (with full cover) only to be made to wait (even without ventolin). No oxyegn, nothing. And it has happened to me twice and to friends as well.
I am not trying to bring the medical centre into this debate though, but what i am saying if you can get something quicker do it. Asthma sufferers can suffer more than u can imagine, and believe me, its scary not be able to breath and be told there is a half- hr to hour wait and they tell you the will "try" to get something to help u breath.
I do not agree with Mark Davis of his actions, yet i do not see the big danger of him driving a supposed 2 mins to the chemist. Would u rather he drive further to the hospital and possible cause more damage both to others and the asthma sufferer? But then again, anything can happen in 2 mins.

Reply #16147 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Montezumas - You've done nothing at all, it was all in reference to Yogee.

It has gone off topic, and we'll leave it that.

:-).

Reply #16151 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Geez Hoop, what has Yogee done to piss you that much? Did he sleep with your girlfriend or wife or something, damn!

Reply #16153 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

Can somebody please verify this fact for me: As I'm aware Mark is suspended till Jan 2005, then how is it possible that he's still driving....I know for fact that he's been behind the wheel all this year.

Reply #16154 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Dude, that's libel.

Reply #16301 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

So much for the critics who thought that Davis got off lightly with his penalty for driving whilst disqualified. How about Byron Picket? $900 & 10 months disqualification (when he was already disqualified). He had been drinking, blood alcohol reading over twice the legal limit, injured a passenger and I doubt he was driving because of a medical emergency. Now what does that say about our justice system?

Reply #16359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To use hes intelligence to bring up an ashma attack as an excuse is quite UNIQUE dont u think mark....Be a man and stand up to your mistakes!
Anonymous

Reply #70752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mark davis should consider checking hes alchohol level before getting behind the steering wheel!HAPPY NEW YEAR 2006 hopefully it will be a better year for him!

Reply #70754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a mentor what are you teaching our kids today?

Reply #70755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I noticed at the beginning of this post that everyone was talking about Mark's private life. Is it common knowledge that he is a lady's man? Any examples or stories to share?

(Mod: Inappropriate. Thread locked.)

Reply #74545 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754