Just too tall
Years ago

Do big men like Kenny George ruin the game?

Reading the earlier post about Kenny George it got me thinking.

Big men like him are so slow and boring to watch. They have no hops or skill whatsoever and are only sucessful because they are at least a foot taller than everybody else.

IMO the teams that they play on are fairly unexciting to watch and can ruin the game as a spectacle

Can you be to tall?

Topic #14157 | Report this topic

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

yeh they do ppl like him and sun ming ming get guaranteed professional contracts just cos they are big, there are so many better players than them but htey will make it purely cos of size, its ridiculous

Reply #166025 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Well, often a big guy like that is so slow that the rest of the team ends up playing 4 on 5 end-to-end, so has more of a negative effect for his own team, rather than the game itself ..

Reply #166030 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They are not guaranteed professional contracts at all. Their chances are improved because they are tall, just like someone's chances are improved because they are fast, accurate or strong.

If you wanted to remove tall players, where do you draw the line, and why? Does Yao ruin the NBA? Shaq? Is Earl Boykins going to campaign for anyone over 6'6" to get dumped?

In 2007, Kenny George came up against Craig Bradshaw and Winthrop. Despite that 7'7", George went 1/5 FG and had 4 PF in 13 minutes. 2 points and 2 boards.

Bradshaw had 23 and 9, and his team won by 19. Height doesn't always win out. Yao, at 7'6" or whatever he is, gets a contract because he can shoot, pass, etc.

(That said, George is a lot better this year, averaging almost 12 and 9, with 6 BPG!)

Reply #166031 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Still think he will be the Next Shawn Bradley!!!

Reply #166033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

slight detour, but is sun ming ming even close to making the NBA? Prehaps the Dragons should sign Sun Ming Ming for their gimmick for next year seeing as the Dennis Rodman thing didn't work out.

Reply #166035 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Would be a good freak show alongside Shane Heal!!!

Reply #166037 | Report this post

Just too tall  
Years ago

Issac,

I take your point about Shaq, but he is an excitment machine.

Players like George are like watching paint dry. Not a great watch for the playing public. I'll bet he was really uninspiring in the game you mentioned against Craig Bradshaw and Winthrop.

Reply #166039 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

I think the fact that he is averaging 12 pts , 9 reb and 6 blks on a winning team shows he is worthy of a game .

Reply #166042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just too tall - so, is it the height that's the problem or the style of play? And, really, how common are players that tall anyway? It's hardly a boredom epidemic.

Reply #166044 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

This thread is a boredom epidemic.

Reply #166056 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just too tall? WT? I think that all the short guards around the place who just get under your feet are ruining the game! lol Ok lets just make sure that everyone who hits the floor is the same height - now that would be a contest!

Must admit I only go to the game to see the little guys! If only the rest of the world would catch on?

Reply #166249 | Report this post

Jack Lu  
Years ago

Huge ppl like Sun Ming Ming and Kenny George hardly ruin the game--they are actually exciting to watch simply because their stature and size make them stand out on the court. And how often do you have players that big? Probably not very often. So it's refreshing to have a few ppl in their league in size play, but not if an entire team is made up of ppl of that size.

Reply #180353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754