Isaac
Years ago

Williams to miss Sixers trip

Jason Williams may go on injury waivers after his foot injury flared recently. If put on waivers, he'll have to miss two games, and Nick Hambour may be moved into the playing roster. Phil Smyth is still considering his options.

With Brett Maher already pressured by a lower back injury and sprained thumb, the Sixers backcourt is looking meagre. Darren Ng coming off the bench and Jacob Holmes playing the occasional "point-forward" role are the only support options for Maher and Willie Farley. At full strength, Williams and out-for-the-season Mark Nash are also options for the position.

The Sixers are travelling to NZ to play the Breakers on Friday night, their opponents having recently dropped Shawn Redhage and picked up ex-Taipan Marcus Timmons. NZ's bench guard Lindsay Tait is playing into form, and Dillon Boucher is likely to harass Farley as he has done in previous match-ups. Maher's ability on the night is likely to play a significant role in determining the outcome of the game.

Adelaide have already beaten the Breakers twice this season.

Topic #1424 | Report this topic

In the know  
Years ago

Time for Williams to give up. Nice guy but I think NBL is not for him. Injuries and incosisitant form would mean it is his last season.

Reply #16366 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Travis Lane or Damon Lowery anyone?

Reply #16368 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Think it is time the sixers gave someone else a chance and moved Williams on...

Reply #16371 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Be careful, Williams is a protected species on this forum....

Reply #16372 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's not a protected species, I only asked that people discuss the matter in a reasonable manner. I even asked that you be a little bit kind to Panther once but he's not a protected species.

The only other ABL guard that is similar to Williams in size would be Pochintesta who was injured at the time of selection. Otherwise I thought that he could be a decent alternative.

A number of players were trialled prior to Williams' selection and not chosen in his place (Puddifoot, Gerlach, Campbell I think). Obviously the coaches have their reasons.

Jason's scoring impact is insignificant this season and certainly hasn't improved, but I think his assists have risen. For players in over 10 games this year, he's #1 in the NBL in assists per 48 minutes (8.9 AP48, ahead of McDonald, Kendall, Quick, Mee, and Maher). He doesn't make the top 50 turnovers per 48 minutes, which suggests that besides his shooting, he's done alright in limited opportunities playing PG. I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches were satisfied with the impact he's had in the time given.

That said, I of course agree that Adelaide needs to be blooding someone in the event that Maher leaves for Europe in the same way that Sydney has Martin, West Sydney has Markovic, and Townsville has Robertson and Quick. I'm just not sure if the current ABL ranks have that person.

Who are the frontrunners and what are their advantages and disadvantages? Clarke from Southern, Campbell from Forestville, who else?

Does SA have any PGs at AIS?

Brad Hill is more of a SG, right?

Reply #16374 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Get Newley! Why we let him go I don't know.

Reply #16375 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Yes indeed get Newley here!!

Newley, Jake and Oscar make a great nucleus to build the future around

Reply #16377 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Isaac - Ryan 'Pini' Kersten is an SA PG at the AIS. He's about 6'0" but has bulked up considerably in his time at the 'tute.

He was a pretty dominant junior and is a solid leader.

Hopefully he'll be able to compete at NBL level in the near future.

Yes - Brad Hill is more an SG than PG.

Reply #16378 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Newley looks like a nerd. The Crocs can keep the nerd.

Reply #16379 | Report this post

Court Marshall  
Years ago

The problem is that when Williams plays for Sturt he almost gets a triple double every game and he is very difficult to guard. So even if he was dropped from the Sixers, he would have a great year in the ABL, and someone would get on here and say Williams shouldn't have been dropped!!!
I think the only thing stopping him is his mental state of mind, because in the ABL he can flat out play.

Reply #16382 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

When I say he is a protected species I meant that he has a lot of supporters on this forum, not meaning the people running the forum are protecting him.

Kind to Panther? What the???

Reply #16383 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Williams can play so don't get me wrong on my statement. He just struggles to make the step to the next level. How many years has he struggled to make this step?? Issac is right that does the ABL currently have a player that should take Williams spot. Who know unless they get given a chance.

Reply #16384 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that Illman would've proven himself at training before being given a spot, so it might be that scrimmages with the team are the "chance". A decent amount of ABL talent has been given that run, right?

Gerlach is in there now. Is he a point guard? I always got the impression from ABL games that he was more of a 2/3-type player?

Reply #16388 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

He's a point. Plays the 2 with Southern because Clarke runs the point but Snake can run the point if that's whats asked of him. More importantly, he can defend the opponents point. If The Sixers need, they could still have a number of people bring the ball up, but what Snake brings is full-court pressure defense.

Reply #16392 | Report this post

K-Time Bars  
Years ago

I have never been a fan of Gerlach's game but I have to agree with Deak. Gerlach can play the point if asked and can guard anyone from the 1 and 2 position. I think, whilst Jase is a great guy his time is very limited and therefore the sixers should be taking steps to get gerlach to start to take a step into the NBL

Reply #16396 | Report this post

Street & Smith's  
Years ago

MW,

Criticise Williams all ya want
just be CONSTRUCTIVE

There is some well thought out intellegent and constructive criticism of Williams on this thread, learn from it!

Reply #16400 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

It is a great concern the apparent lack of guards within the SA ranks.

Williams down, Maher playing injured.

If Mahers injury gets too much, or inflamed tomorrow night in NZ, where does that leave us on Sunday?

"Welcome your starting 5.....Paul Rees, Dusty Rychart, Jacob Holmes, Willie Farley and Darren Ng"

Who does that leave on the bench to give Will or Ninja a breather? No-one. Serious problems indeed. Place Williams in waivers for the remainder of the season, get in Travis Lane, who knows what he is doing now...he certainly was looking good last season.

Reply #16401 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

we don't have to place williams on Waivers cant we just use Nash's spot to get a versatile replacement ? Or am I missing something. Nash is definitely gone Williams could recover to be a useful back up.

Reply #16405 | Report this post

Stats man  
Years ago

Why don't you think Hambour will do a good job?

Reply #16407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams is a gun i love him

Reply #16408 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, considering Williams hasnt been a useful back up for the last 2 years, why would he suddenly start becoming one?

If we place Williams on waivers as well, it would not only free up Nash's salary, but also Williams which might give the 6ers a bit more leverage to get a decent bench guard for the remainder of the season.

Reply #16411 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

J Will plays to his limits. He knows he isn't going to score 20 a game and get 10 dimes.

He runs the offence well enough and hustles on defence. He was never a star in the making guys BUT he is a solid back up who can give Brett or Willie a breather.

I say let him run the offence and if he misses a 3 or has a turnover encourage him don't harp on him.

Reply #16414 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

He isnt a solid back up though. His minutes have even been dropping in the last few games he has played.

The offence actually dries up with him on court, and they normally ewnd up using Jacob to set up the offense when Williams is on.

He may still be an effective ABL player, but he just seems to be out of his depth in NBL. Let some of the kids (Gerlach etc) have a try.

Reply #16421 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Is it an outrageous idea to throw Hambour a few minutes at the 2? He's clearly too short to be an NBL centre but he's definitely got some guard-like skills. In year 9 he was the best guard going round year 9 school basketball, then he grew and by year 11 he had become BIG and was always played as a big man down low. He burst onto the district scene as a big in under 20s so everyone assumes he'd always played as a big, but I think if he changed his focus he could offer something in the backcourt.

Reply #16422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billo, nice one mate, luv ya work.

Reply #16424 | Report this post

Court Marshall  
Years ago

There is no way Hambour could be a 2 man.

1. He doesn't have a left hand (would like to see him try to dribble against the likes of Mee or Saville)
2. He can't shoot from outside the key.

He is in the team to bang some bodies and get rebounds. Billo, he may have been good in year 9, but cmon, this is the premier league in Australia, when some of the players were in year 9 they were the best in the country, let alone in their local SASSSA.

Reply #16429 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

what bout Reggie Vanderbergh

Reply #16446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr Court Marshall,

Being new to basketball I found this forum which is giving me an insight to the game. I read your post about a Hambour person.

I am sorry to hear he has no left hand. Do you know how this happened; was it a birth defect or did he have an accident. He must be very good to play with only one hand. How does he catch the ball. Does he have a big hand. If you can clarify I would be very appreciative.

Thank you

Basketball Novice

Reply #16450 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Can't shoot outside the key or doesn't shoot outside the key? Obviously his game has been developed over the last 3 or 4 years to make him into a big man, and if his coaches have been drilling into him that his role is to stay inside the paint and not to take it outside then that's what he's been doing. He's always listened to coaches which is probably why he's playing NBL (not much but playing none the less) today. Obviously the guy's no ninja from outside, all I'm saying is that he may have a few more strings in his bow than most people realise.

Reply #16502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In being constructive, I have a named a short list of replacements for Jase at NBL level. They would all do a similar job out on the floor.

A tin of paint
A blade of grass
An old metal zipper
A bright new blue button
A safety pin
An empty icecream container
Scraping of shower mould
An A4 piece of paper (no smaller)
A dog's collar

Sorry Jase - you get the idea.

Reply #16503 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

In being constructive, I have a named a short list of replacements for Jase at NBL level. They would all do a similar job out on the floor.

A tin of paint
A blade of grass
An old metal zipper
A bright new blue button
A safety pin
An empty icecream container
Scraping of shower mould
An A4 piece of paper (no smaller)
A dog's collar

Sorry Jase - you get the idea.

Reply #16504 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Thats harsh i hope you one day have the guts to tell him to his face

Reply #16523 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Mr Assist,

That could be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum - and that's saying a lot.

Reply #16529 | Report this post

Court Marshall  
Years ago

To Anonymous (aka Funny f@#%)

Hambour might as well only have one hand because he certainly doens't use his left to make any attacking moves.

In saying that I actually have met a young fella back in the day who only had one hand (he was about 6) and he was the best one handed dribbler I have ever seen. He was pulling moves Hambour would certainly struggle with.

Reply #16536 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Thats awesome Mr Assist, could not agree more.

Reply #16586 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754