Anonymous
Years ago

Funny 36ers v Perth game thread

I am officially sick of seeing Erik Burdon get subbed out for Copeland, and even Ng now.

When will the coaching staff realise that it doesnt matter if the previously mentioned players score 10-16 points each... if they give up 30-40 points due to their inability to play anything that resembles defense.

Burdon had Perth's import guard locked down whenever he was on court, and is an always dangerous scoring option with endless range and ability, as he displayed tonight with his step-back jumper.

Now that the season is basically over, give Burdon a bunch of minutes and give him the confidence to step up even further next season.

Topic #14250 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

at the expense of Copeland maybe, but tonight he was getting all of Davidson's minutes.

Reply #167301 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Even Jordy got minutes.....

.....and points.

Reply #167307 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Agree entirely with what has been said about Burdon and his guarding of Brown, he did a great job. Interestingly when we got back to within 5 points, Copeland came back on - within 3 minutes we were down by 15.
I was also intrigued by the clever use of Sutton tonight.
Think Davidson had some sort of injury concern, hence his less than expected minutes.
Would love to say a lot more but reluctant to do so.
But I guess the only thing I can say after Saturday night's great win, was that this effort truly stunk.

Reply #167315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sutton certainly had a small cameo, I have no idea why he was inserted in the game at that juncture.

It was frustratng that the lineup that go thte sixers in the game was not on the court more. Burdon was excellent defensively defending Brown well particularly when the shotclock was about to expire and he shot the ball.

Why does the coach not play more of the bench when the game is out of reach - there is no reason that I can think of for Copeland to be on the court when there is bench that could be seeing minutes eg Gerlach.

I was dissapointed in the persistence with a zone at times also, when it was clearly not working.

Overall a dissapointing loss.

Reply #167320 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

oops that last post was me.

Reply #167321 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

reluctant to say squid?..why?

Reply #167322 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

I am looking forward to not seeing old jack copeland in uniform next year almost as much as the vacated bench by i can't poach wife .

Reply #167324 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I think you know the reason Me.
Once again David Cooper continues to give 100% effort and if one was to look at consistency, then Coops would be right up there in that category.
It really was a night when the fans had nothing to get excited about.
Most impressed with Crawford tonight, he destroyed us.

Reply #167326 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think the only reason Burdons not getting more minutes is his confidence. While he is playing well his shooting still lacks, Copeland has his off nights, but is alot more capable of scoring a quick 20 that Burdon is right now.

Reply #167329 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

But Skud, it is pretty easy to tell real early if Copeland is going to have a hot one. And scoring isn't everything, the job Burdon was doing on Brown was great, but alas he was removed from the floor and you saw what happened.

Reply #167330 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I think I speak on behalf of many supporters when I say that I am simply drained, disappointed and sad by what I have seen the last few seasons from our boys.

Reply #167331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth is shit. The zone is too easily beaten (anyone want open 3's??)
Cooper is the weakest prick I've ever seen. He gets pushed under the board way too easily. How many second chance points did Perth get?
Crap effort over all.

Reply #167333 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

+1 to squids last comment

Reply #167335 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Who noticed the sixers dancers heading toward the Perth huddle?????

Reply #167336 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

they noted it on fox sturty...

guess we will wait to hear the complaints from the cats Coaches, oh wait...they arent dummy spitters

Reply #167339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone pleeeeease teach hodge to shoot!!

Reply #167342 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

lol..fair point about hodge...tho, on tonights efforts..no-one at the 36ers is able to demonstrate how to shoot

Reply #167346 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For someone who can't shoot that well, Hodge still had a great line - 16, 10 and 7. A few good moments, but you can't shoot 11% from 3, miss that many free throws, give up buckets to PC all night and win.

Story of the night has to be 6100+ fans at the game. Proves that crowds are there ready when things click into place.

Reply #167350 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

"We didn't recognise the people that were shooting the ball well. Sometimes when you are in a game and you're trying to get going the effort's good but your mind's not."

- Phil Smyth.

Sorry mate, but that's part of your job - to recognise who's shooting well, keep them on the court and take off the guys who aren't shooting well, and if the players aren't recognising it, reminding them by calling a time out.

I bet he had his usual goofy grin while he was saying that too. We've lost one bald guy during the 07/08 NBL season (John Howard), it's time to lose another one, a little closer to home.

Source: Fox Sports News

Reply #167351 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Haha youre kidding! everytime Davidson was starting to get hot he was taken off, i appreciate he may have been carrying an injury but if he's the only one knockin down shots then you have to "recognise the people that were shooting the ball well" and let him play.

Reply #167352 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

When you play helter skelter D alot of the game players will be left open .
Every team is aware if you make the extra pass against us there will be plenty of open looks for all .
Shooters must be licking their lips before the game , maybe thats why they slide em in so easy .

Reply #167353 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

We didn't recognise the people that were shooting the ball well. Sometimes when you are in a game and you're trying to get going the effort's good but your mind's not."

- Voldemort-

your kidding right

Reply #167355 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Who did we play again ?

Reply #167358 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Nope - that was the actual quote from the bald one following the game - see the link at the bottom of my previous post for the original words at Fox Sports...

Reply #167359 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I wonder how many of the 6100 plus fans tonight will come back to the next game? I brought 7 people with me tonight and I would have a pretty difficult job convincing them that they should come again. Simply embarrassing.

Reply #167361 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

That is the other thing, that was the biggest crowd I have seen there.

Reply #167368 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

How may free tickets last night?

Reply #167373 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

400-500 freebies. Even if you take those out, it was close enough to Saturday's 5,700 to be impressive. Car park was packed, queues coming into the car park were long, the lines to get into the Dome were similar, etc.

Reply #167376 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac. That is what was so disappointing too - that there would have been so much expectation last night and there was nothing to enthuse about.

Reply #167378 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

And very little crown noise came through on Fox :(

"Ballinger for MVP" banner made an appearance, though given his game last night.. :(

Reply #167398 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Vitally important crowd wise, that even if they were going to lose, they had to make a game of it and keep the margin close. Instead, they lay a turd, let it blow out and undo the gains respect wise from the Sydney game. Seems to me the inevitable emotional rebound from the Sydney high wasn't accounted/prepared for at all.
One other thing, Ballinger was struggling to get a rhythm last night but he has been a warrior all season for this group. I'm all for giving the bench a run but leave Balls on to get his numbers. Lumping him on the bench with the other underperformers was disrespectful.

Reply #167399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Closer to a 1000 freebies last night I think you'll find.

Reply #167411 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

After the kings game, This was a team choke.

Once again teams in the eight can feel free to wander into the dome and grab a lazy W. I guess that the 36ers just didn't feel angry enough in the last.
You'd think at two buckets down with 6K spectators behind you and some incentive that maybe, just maybe you could finish over the top of the opposition....

Na,too hard. Instead the book of turnovers was written in 5 different languages. Foul shot % returning to 07 levels. Offence that resembled preteens in dogem cars (do I hear ants looking for feed?) and the employment of a search party still looking for the D.

The hope or pie in the sky is that if form can drop off that quickly, then it can also recover just as fast. let's hope that it does.

Reply #167452 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

That's the first game I, and a couple of friends, had been to for a few years. Wanted to see Hodge in action, plus the Kings win indicated that we may have been on the upswing.

I'll be going back.

Reply #167465 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'll be going backto the next game simply because I am a season ticket holder this year.

I attend most of the home games last season and thought I might as well become a season ticket holder this season and did so.

Happy with my seating given to me this year too.

Reply #167475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard someone in the crowd say "Oh NOW you call a time out (insert coach's surname here)!"

Someone replied with "No, you can't say his last name!"

By the way, great article by Boti today. Even HOOPS got a mention concerning "Surname-gate"!

Reply #167555 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:34 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754