Jonno
Years ago

Is Hodge a keeper?

just wondering what peoples thoughts of Hodge are??
I think he is a great recruit with a good all round game, doesnt have much of a jump shot, but penetrates well and seems to be able to score 15-20 points a game on that and over time im sure his shot will improve. and gets close to tripple doubles. And he brings something different to the 36ers aswell, good all round player but like Tucker/Thomas/Mee really.
Based on what people have seen so far, if he finishes the season in similar form would people want him back?? i personally would i would try and get him and ballinger back, as my import pair for next season.

Topic #14257 | Report this topic

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

I think Ballinger will be an Aussie by next season.

Reply #167406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodge is a short term stop gap measure.

A keeper needs a better all round game, ie. who can at least shoot even adequately.

Reply #167419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All round player? He's flirted with two triple doubles in his last two contest.

I think he's definatley a keeper. He is a great slasher. In that fourth it looked as if everyone had thrown in the towl but Hodge who kept attacking, looked like he was the only one giving it something. He was unfortunate to have a couple of those layups rim out but he is just what we need when you talk about his showenship, flair, athletism, to go along with his all-round game. He can virtually play any position but its his ability to get to the rim and blow by defenders that makes him special.

I say we lock up Ballinger, Davidson and Hodge and build around that

Reply #167424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, teams are just gonna scout and sag right off him which will make his driving game ineffective. Needs to be able to hit the shot at least some of the time

Reply #167427 | Report this post

SydneyGame  
Years ago

Depends on who they can put around him. If they can get a newley in the 2 and hodge in the 3 that would be a great combo. Newley is your multiskilled player who will draw the attention of the best defender whilst Hodge can get into the seam, draw some help and creat for the likes of Newley or Davidson (who I think should be re-signed as well).

Ballinger can pi*s off if he is trying to dictate who will coach next season. He's been here for 5 mins and isnt even a local. The opinion of Newley, Holmes, Forman, Ingles, Maher, Rogers etc. count for something in terms of coaching selection. But Ballinger pffft - Awesome player but seriously lets get our local All* back!

Reply #167433 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

I'm surprised he was drafted so highly in the nba to be honest, he has size but he's really unorthodox. I guess if he sticks around for a while (which may not happen) he could develop a jay and improve his skills running the floor. At least he's young. The game last night against the wildcats was like jungleball, Phil's teams generally appear that way in a sense but it was so scrappy in the 1st half and hard to watch.

Reply #167434 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

He drives well...but really needs to improve his jump shot. Last night Perth gambled on him missing that shot or not even taking it...and Perth won.

Improve that and we may have a keeper.

Reply #167436 | Report this post

yeah maybe if we could pay him 500k he would be a keeper. As if he won't go to Europe

Reply #167437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scout?
like all the coaches did again Ricky Grace? that worked!

Reply #167439 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

I really like him as a player here. As has been stated, he fills up the stat sheet, but not superficially - he makes a lot of good passes and can get up for the boards. He's missing one element of the game, but there are enough spots on the team to fill the quota of shooters.

Plus, he seems to like playing here and is a good teammate, so that ticks some more boxes.

Reply #167443 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How often does a player significantly improve their shot though at this point in their career? I mean, not from Jacob-Holmes-30%-and-flat, but really quite odd. I wouldn't have thought often enough to extend a contract now and try to build around? If Newley returns from Greece as SydneyGame suggested, then it might be a better fit.

Reply #167444 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

I should also mention he did some nice work in the post at times last night too...

Reply #167445 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Isaac, Hodge could dramatically improve his shot as it is so dysfunctional now that any time spent with a competent shooting coach would reap immediate benefits. He may not make buckets straight off but at least show those who know that he is trying to correct the action. You can tell when somebody is consciously taking care of the mechanics when they are making adjustments to their shooting style. Once that's down and through repetition it becomes automatic and the subconcious mind runs the show.In basketball you are either getting better or getting worse so the fact that he has got this far with that action makes me wonder if he truly wants to improve it. Please, please tell me that somebody at the Sixers is dragging him aside and working on it. No surprises if they ain't!
On a side note it is very pleasing to see the improvement in Paul Rogers. The Perth coaches have obviously put a lot of work into his post game and the way he used his body and created a target was very fundamentally sound. Pity that wasn't done when he was here.

Reply #167458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, don't you think being through the ranks in basketball, as in top colleges, NBA, Europe he would've been scouted pretty heavily, especially being a first round candidate for his draft class. How do you think he has made it in basketball with his shot?

Perth and Sydney aren't exaclty lousy defensive teams and he got the to rim whenever he pleased, even with Perth sagging off him

Reply #167460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky Grace could shoot you tool.

Reply #167463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Ricky Grace really could shoot you moron

Reply #167464 | Report this post

Dirty Day  
Years ago

He can penetrate at will but doesn't seem to have a ton of moves once he is at the basket. He can either dish it to open shooters (a great thing) or throw up hail marys that are answered sometimes, other times they are not. He attacks the key hard but he doesn't attack the rim hard. There is a difference.

He's okay and will do for the rest of the season.

Reply #167466 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I think Hodge is a suitable replacement for Chappelle. He is what Adelaide needs at the moment. Someone exciting, who can drive to the basket and create. Plus he has passion. He also does quite well on the defensive end.

Will he be here next season? Will the Coach? Will the A/Coach? Will Maher?

Reply #167467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes so the argument about Grace is irrelevant spanner.

Everyone knew he went left but you still had to respect his outside shot where with Hodge you dont have to.

Reply #167468 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think he is fairly mediocre. Sure he can get to the rim, but he doesn't do it in the flow of the offence. Quite a few times last night the ball went to him, he shook up his defender (mostly unsuccesfully) and the offence went stagnant. Those sorts of players are offence cancers.

He can't shoot, and I can't see him getting to the point where he can, especially to the point where he can get his shot off at NBL level. Sure guys can improve their shot, provided the mechanics are right, with repetition. But we're talking about a guy here who literally has to start from 1 foot back, with one hand on the ball, and start from there. That is a 4-6 month process, just to get to the point where you can comfortable shoot mid range jumpers with no pressure. No way he will be an NBL calibre half decent shooter anytime in the foreseeable future.

tizle - what good work in the post are you talking about? I think he made one good dish to Ballinger in the 3rd quarter. Other than that he backed his man down and got nothing out of it. Nothing. His passing out of the double team was ordinary and he doesn't appear to have much of a back-to-the-basket game at all.

And what is this "showmanship" everyone talks of? I haven't seen any "flair" to his game at all.. am I missing something?

Izzy, Paul Rogers is an ex-NBL MVP who was injured pretty much all year when he was with the Sixers. He's had that game all along.

No way in a million years would I take Hodge next year. He has been good so far and fitted in well, must give him credit for that, but not a long-term option IMO.

Reply #167477 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I believe the team should keep Hodge.

He's a slasher and always trying to get to the basket. He keeps going and always trying. He communicates regularly to his team mates. He crashes the boards and throws some passes. A bit of an all-round game like Tucker, Mee and Thomas.

The shooting needs improvement, but that should come with some practice.

Hodge is also great on an entertainment point of view. He tries to get the crowd involved and he excites the crowd. Let's try and keep him.

I'd also like to keep Davidson and Balls.

Reply #167480 | Report this post

lockstock wtf?  
Years ago

lockstock? surely you were not there for the sydney game...surely

Reply #167491 | Report this post

lockstock wtf?  
Years ago

im reffering to you saying he has no showmenship?????????????????

Reply #167492 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

My impression of him is that he is a pretty unpolished. He has a good handle on the ball and can pass and rebound, but he tends to be out of control on drives and has no long or medium range game at all. It is suprising that his shot is that bad, I don't think having an import that shoots so poorly especially from the FT line is acceptable.

Reply #167493 | Report this post

lockstock wtf?  
Years ago

And don't be too quick to be so negative

You look at all the great imports in the league now. Kavossi, Cortez (not this year but for years), Darnell, Abney etc...its those guys that DO stay put for a season or so to adapt to our game. With Hodges talent + a season under his belt he could dominate in this league

Reply #167494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate its one thing to adapt to league and refs and style of play etc. Being able to shoot or not though is completely different.

Reply #167498 | Report this post

lockstock wtf?  
Years ago

thats not the problem!

he doesnt need to be a shooter! he doesnt need to hit an outside shot at all!

You could have an endless list on players in the NBA, forwards, centres or guards who cant shoot to save their lives...thats one facet of the game and when your others are so good it doesnt matter as much.

He brings hustle and energy, somethign we havent seen from anyone in a long time (exception of davidson)

Reply #167505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give the guy a chance, he's been in Australia for what not even a month and played maybe 5 games?

As to whether he is a KEEPER, i think we need to at least wait until the end of the season.

As for his shot, its not even that bad! This guy is already playing/hustling 10X better than chappell.

Reply #167511 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Yes - that is something I missed. Didn't see the Sydney game, so I stand corrected if he is a "showman"..

You'll find that near every single NBA player can knock down a mid-range jumper. There would be very few exceptions to this. I heard Marv Albert say it in a game one day and he is spot on. If called on they can all knock it. But this isn't the NBA either and there are no doubt plenty that can't knock it down here. You ar right in saying that a lot of imports do not have an open shot, but none are remotely as bad as Hodge's from what I have seen. The outside shots I've seen him shoot have had absolutely no chance of even bouncing around the rim and going in - they have been absolute bricks or airballs. I think some of the other guys - Hinson, Homicide etc - could knock it down sometimes if they were left wide open. Hodge I don't think could..

I'm just not convinced that he can play I suppose..

Reply #167515 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Seriously Hodge cannot be around next season. Ok he is putting up decent numbers, but how many missed shots and turnovers does he also produce.

How he ever got drafted is beyoned me - athletic, quick yes. Shooting and ball handling not so great.

I'm not saying he is crap, and his never die attitude is something the sixers have rarely seen in the past few seasons (copeland [sometimes] and davidson exempt). But is he worth a import spot to start a season with!

Just seconds before he hit that one god awful jump/push/whatever shot i publicly declared he would not make a jump shot this season. He did and proved me wrong, however his 0/4 FT shooting and a good oppurtunity for close up of his shooting style - ouch!

There are 3 things that need to happen come season's end.

Sack Valdemort - Time for change
Secure Ballinger - Quality and possibly aussie sometime soon
Bring in a quality guard - if we are any chance to keep maher playing he needs a lesser work load.

Reply #167518 | Report this post

lockstock wtf?  
Years ago

by the way lockstock..sorry about the name its just how you know me now!

You just gave a perfect example, Corey Williams, who hit his first NBL three a few week into his career in Australia has no outside shot...when you watch him play, he might, MIGHT take 2-3 midrange pull ups a game but usually opts for the drive and he is having a stellar year!

I just dont want his future at Adelaide or him to be evaluated depend on whether or not he is a good shooter, because he has made it in basketball (NBA, College Star) for his other attributes.

I would like to know how you become 1st all time (correct me if im wrong?) in North Carolina State in scoring if you don't shoot it...

Reply #167527 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think theres something most people are missing about how he plays his game, alot of people are saying he cant shoot, which is obviously true. The thing your missing is that he DOESNT shoot
If he was comming out and puting up shot after shot I would say get rid of him, but his drive's through the key and great assist are exactly what we need. He hasnt seemed to hog the ball, could have probaly put up some more lay-ups last night but gave of the assist to an guarenteed shot.
Im happy with him and can see a future for him in the NBL, just depends on our team lineup next year if he will fit in for us.

Reply #167528 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

lockstock, you're right that Homicide is not a great shooter, but Hinson is. He's hitting from outside at 39% and the stripe at 76%. I do think Homicide is probably a better comparison for Hodge with regard to the lack of outside shot though.

Reply #167529 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

No worries lockstock wtf? haha. You may be right, and I hope you are..

Isaac, yep I stand corrected. I know there is another import who can't shoot though - the NZ import maybe? My NBL knowledge outside of the Sixers is relatively limited these days...

Reply #167531 | Report this post

lockstock wtf?  
Years ago

well said skud

Reply #167532 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"You'll find that near every single NBA player can knock down a mid-range jumper. There would be very few exceptions to this"

I believe it was the lead-up to the last Olympics, I was living in America at the time and the big bitch was that the America players had some of the lowest shooting percentages of the world Leagues. It was also a big problem for them throughout the Olympics, they struggle against quite few teams since they could not drive as easily as they can in the NBA.

Alot of people I knew followed College basketball alot more than the NBA because it seemed to have a better overall skill base.

Reply #167535 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

lockstock, you might be thinking of Wayne Turner who avoids taking threes, but has a quite solid mid-range jumper and hits free throws. Orien Greene (his replacement) started slowly and wasn't known for his outside shot at NBA range, but has started to hit from the NBL line - 34% on the season, 88% from the stripe. He's 8/12 from three in his last few games.

I think the consensus with Hodge is:

- an improvement on the previous situation and will be fine to see out the season
- good to watch
- brings something new to the team
- can't shoot from outside the key, but contributes in other ways
- might be a good fit next year depending on the rest of the roster

Anyone strongly disagree?

Reply #167544 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

as for a potential team for next season, assuming we cant get a Schenscher or Newley back and Ballinger is a import, would people be unhappy to see our current imports return?? try and add a jacob holmes if we go after home grown players.
not too different to what others have suggested how bout a team like

C Mottram/Cooper

PF Ballinger/Dodman/Young SA guy if no proven player is available, Holmes and Mottram can also see minutes here

SF Holmes/???? Not sure is Brad Hill available and fit to play??? if we cant get a proven nbl back up i would have no problems seeing a young SA guy given a go, is Josh Wood done with College yet?? also dont think his position is vital as Hodge will play minutes here when Maher slides to the SG spot and Davidson coms on

SG Hodge/Ng (if he doesnt go to medicine) or Burdon
(Hodge to slide from PG-SG-SF as needed and help carry the ball up and lead the team)

PG Maher/Davidson

Run a 8 man rotation of Cooper, Mottram, Ballinger, Holmes, Hodge, Ng/Burdon, Maher, Davidson with varying combinations, most players being able to play atleast 2 positions

I wouldnt be apposed to KAvossy Franklin, but i think it makes our guards a bit small, i like the thought of having a bigger versatile guard, such as Hodge or somene like Dave Thomas, in the team, basically to do what Darnell Mee used to do and had a lot of success with. Maybe if Ballinger gets naturalised in time we could grab him also.

Without going into who coaches the team, would that team be good enough to be in the top 4-6???

Reply #167551 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd keep him for sure.
I guess he was our best last nite, shot better than Ballinger, who will probably be naturalised in time.

Reply #167554 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Adam himself has said in interviews that his naturalisation is due half way through the season.

Reply #167576 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Isaac - might be a good fit next year depending on the rest of the roster.

That's the one comment i disagree on. Sure he could fit into the right team and play a role. But if the coach did some decent scouting/import recruiting there are plenty of slashing swingman imports out there who will be quicker than most swingmen in the nbl and actually posses a jumpshot.

So why they would even consider Hodge when there are PLENTY of other guys out there who can do exactly the same thing and MORE.

I agree on all your points re this season.

Reply #167583 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Reckon I heard Adam mentioning that, a few months ago.
Wonder whether there's ways and means to bring that forward a few months, depending on circumstances and who and what's involved?

Reply #167584 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ, that's true - e.g., a Dave Thomas, for example.

But take out Hodge's first few games and go by his two starts at the Dome - those are two strong lines. Averaged 20/10/7.5 against two decent teams. And against Perth, he could definitely have played better. If he maintains that pace for the rest of the season, you could be forgiven for wondering if the downsides are worth it?

And if Ballinger is back and naturalises, and/or Newley comes home, you could do worse than bring Hodge off the bench like Melbourne did with Tucker the other year.

Reply #167585 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Why would Newley come home..?

Getting the big numbers in Greece, NBA possibility?

Reply #167591 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

ELG, do you really think he is worth $500k. He is certainly an improvement on Chappell but considering this season is another write off (yes, I have already written it off), he will do. As far as filling an import spot on a more permanent basis, he needs to do a lot better. Regardless of his all round game, if he can't shoot that ball, then everything else is not as important. If you are going to search the world for an import, why would you settle for anything less than an Ere type of player. I think Farley was still better than Hodge and Rychart better still. As for Ballinger, I would not be giving him up so easily. He is the consistent type player that can deliver 30 points per game as well as everything else he does. This is the type of production you need from an import.

Reply #167592 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

Put simply, do you think a new coach with fresh ideas that wants to make his mark in Adelaide is going to keep him on for next season?

The new coach will surley want to try his hand at finding new talent and will probably be of the opinion that he can do a better job than seasons past.

Chances are he will play his last game for Adelaide at the end of the season.

He is an exciting player; however a Rob Rose or Kevin Brooks he aint!

Reply #167624 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

His stats are impressive over the last 2 games - I noticed you left his turnovers off that list though ;-)

But is he helping the team - ok the Sydney win is an exception but the Perth game I didnt see much that he did to help the team, sure his drives and slashes when scoring provided points. But his drives and misses and turnovers for me outweighed that by far.

The good thing with Hodge is that he didnt get discouraged by some turnovers and misses, however the bad thing is that a player can go on and continue to have a bad run, only time will tell, but for me that Perth game was not as good as the pts, rebounds, assists suggest.

If you compare him to cancer Tucker, give him the ball that many times and let him take that many shots and have that many turnovers and you would get a similar sort of output, my point being there are plenty of guys (imports) who can do what Hodge is doing but also come with at least some FT/jumpshot shooting ability.

As mentioned above I agree a new coach should surely want to bring in at least 1 new import to make his mark unless a team had 2 outstanding imports.

Sixers should be doing everything they can to ink Ballinger now! Come season end the competition will surely heat up for his services.

Reply #167669 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

Yep, keep B-boy, loose Hodge; playing pro ball is a cut throat gig.

Reply #167702 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'll eat my words so far. Maybe if we keep it going he'll keep proving us wrong. Is the nbl that bad that a guy with zero jumpshot can score 30+? Are teams just not bothering scouting adelaide? Or are the happy knowing that even if he does score alot that Adelaide is still beatable?

Reply #168000 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:24 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754