Melvin Corpuscle
Years ago

Shaq - one more minute in Miami ?

From Truehoop:

"Last week's trade of Shaquille O'Neal from the Heat to the Suns sparked an interesting debate (other than Worst trade ever?, that is): with Shaq being the central figure of the final minute of the Atlanta-Miami game that was protested because the Hawks' scorer erroneously attributed an extra foul to O'Neal that resulted in him fouling out, what will the NBA do about the final minute that is scheduled to be replayed on March 8th?

Oh God, it's the long-lost script for Shaq to the Future! Will Shaq play for Miami for one game? Will Marcus Banks and Shawn Marion be allowed to play instead? Should they play with five fouls? AHHH NOBODY KNOWS!!! Al, find out what Ziggy needs Shaq to do! The NBA is breaking free from the laws of Newtonian physics! God save us all! "

Topic #14627 | Report this topic

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

That is fantastic.
What happend if Shaq was still injured and regardless of the trade would not have been able to play the minute anyway?

Reply #172587 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Shaq can't play in the game, ironic considering his foul-out-that-wasn't was the reason for the replay. At this stage, its not known whether Marion and Banks can play in the game. The league has yet to make a decision on their eligibility. The NBA replayed part of a game once before and there were trades in between the game and the replay, and the traded players were allowed to play, but it is not known if this precedent will be followed.

Link to AP article

Reply #172591 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Video game, anyone?

Engage EA Sports to rig up a game simulation which arrives at exactly 51.9 seconds to go with all other details as per the 'real' game - then head to the nearest supercomputer, run the last 51.9 seconds 100 times, 1000 times, 1,000,000 times and whatever the most common result is, that becomes the official result.

OR

Teams pick their best video game player, they sit down and duel the last 51.9 seconds out on video game and that becomes the official result.

To paraphrase a certain slogan: if it's in EA Sports' game, then it's in the NBA's game.

Reply #172604 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

This is surely a joke??

what about the other 1000 decisions in the game which may or may not have been an error.

I thought we were taught to accept the umpires decision, right or wrong!

Reply #172606 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

This wasn't an umpire decision though, it was an error by the guys doing the scoreboard ... and it was one of the rare games this year where Big was playing well !!

Reply #172609 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

This confusion could only be topped if the game was to be played by Miami and Phoenix.

"Ok now that we got that over with Shaq give your singlet to Shawn."

Reply #172614 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Yeah me, it wasn't actaully a refs mistake. Shaq only had 5 fouls, but the score bench said he had six and he then had to sit out the game, obviously when he shouldn't have.

Reply #172646 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I appreciate that, nevertheless, there are at least 10 decisions in every game that affect the outcome and we cant replay them.

eg. a foot is inside 3 point line but the shooter is awarded 3 points and the team wins by 1..should be replayed?

A goal tend is shown not to be the case on replay, team wins/loses by a point = replay?

team WC fields a player that is ineligible against team AD and beats them, ineligible player gets minor minutes..later team AD finds out about ineligible player and claims loss of $500,000... game points...coaching career, should the game be replayed?? :)

Reply #172650 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Nba has replayed a few games over the years and I believe they go with the theory of if the mistake had/did influence the outcome enough.

A player incorrectly fouling out is a pretty big mistake, this was made worse by a somewhat coverup by the hawks bench and the nba official missing it to. If they didn't offer a replay this one could well have gone further.

Reply #172676 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754