Bo Hamburger
Years ago

NBA expansion plans: 5 Euro teams?

Saw this today:

- Stern considering a 'European' division, with five new teams in major markets
- Teams would play full 82 games and be able to win NBA championship
- Mind boggles with potential for hilarious new team nicknames.

Also like this quote:

"We need to do more market research, of course,' the league source said. "But in the end there's only one way to find out, and that's by going there and doing it."

In other words:
"We need to do more homework, of course," the league source said. "But because we think we can make a truckload of money out of it we're going to say 'screw it' and just do it."

Topic #14657 | Report this topic

Dirty Day  
Years ago

This could be the thing that makes me really lose interest in the NBA.

Reply #173143 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

The NBA is bloated as it is.

They'd better do their homework first...doing what the NBL did with Singapore would be just pointless.

Reply #173153 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Scheduling nightmare?

Plus, wouldn't it be like a 10 hour flight (or more) from the West coast of America to somewhere like Spain or Greece? unless they included the euro teams on the East coast road trip or something...still, it'd be a bloody nightmare to travel that distance...

Reply #173155 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

Zach Randolph has already marked down the Amsterdam road trip in his diary.

Reply #173186 | Report this post

MC's HammerTime  
Years ago

Haha. so how long would it be before the 5 times are filled with Majority American players? Just like the Slingers.. bah.

At least Newley might actually make the NBA via Greece??

Reply #173191 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Hey Rex - i am sure you can point him to the red light district .

Reply #173196 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

That would systematically kill off the popularity of the euro league unless they put teams in places like London, Manchester, Holland/Northern Europe etc - places where Euroleague teams don't exist. The NBA are C words.

Reply #173239 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Thats stupid, even if it does make money.

Reply #173245 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I don't see how it would work at all, as James W mentioned the flight times would be horrendous, probably closer to 13 or 14 hours LA to Greece I'd say, can't see how this would have any way or working logistically.

London to NY is only around 7 hours so not beyond the realms of possibility, and I think London could get the crowds to support a team if the pre-season Celts, T Wolves sell out is anything to go by, but I think it would cheapen the whole NBA experience if they're pimping themselves out all round the world.

I'd be voting no to this proposal if I were an owner.

Reply #173248 | Report this post

MC's HammerTime  
Years ago

I love how they call the NBA Championship winners the 'NBA World Champions'.. Considering it's just America.. They do the same thing in Major League Baseball.

If they're genuinely after a 'World' competition and not just a money spinner, instead of introducing 5 Euro teams into the NBA, why don't they make the overall NBA Champs verse the overall Euro champs?

The two best teams from the two biggest Basketball leagues in the world facing off.

Or just leave it as it is.

Reply #173347 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If the Sydney Kings are in a financial pickle they should ask to join the 'new NBA', but they should rename themselves the Sydney Boomers.

Reply #173350 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754