TR
Years ago

Kidd deal is done

Sources from both the Nets and Mavericks have confirmed that Rod Thorn and Mark Cuban have agreed to a trade that will send Jason Kidd to Dallas.

Kidd and Malik Allen will be going to the Mavericks, and in return the Nets will receive Devin Harris, Trenton Hassell, DeSagana Diop, Maurice Ager, two first round picks, and Keith Van Horn in a sign-and-trade agreement.

The trade could be sent for approval to the league office Monday.

I think Dallas slightly over-paying for Kidd. He's a potential HoF'er, but giving up your youth (Harris/Ager/2 first rounders) and also chucking in an expiring contract is a big payout. Thorn should be stoked with this deal.

On the other side, outside of Harris the Mavs aren't losing anyone they couldn't cover with the player they already have. Kidd takes Harris spot.

Topic #14711 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Who's going to run the point for the Nets until Harris is healthy?

Reply #173705 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Mavs have lost out on this deal. Silly giving up a young talent in Harris.

Nets should be laughing @ this deal.

Reply #173706 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I like this from J E Skeets blog on yahoo.com:

"Mark Cuban is a happy drunk. I was hanging out at a bar on Bourbon Street with the guys from Hardwood Paroxysm, when we noticed Cubes over at another table. I asked him when the Mavericks were going to land Jason Kidd. "Man, I already got a kid," he cackled. "No, no, two D's, Mark." Well, he thought that was just about the funniest thing he'd ever heard. It really wasn't that funny. And does Cuban even have a kid? What a guy!"

Now he has a Kidd

Reply #173709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leaves Damp as the main Center, Diop was having a good year, could be vulnerable in the Centre position

Reply #173710 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I don't think you can necessarily judge it just yet. For me, the equation is this: is the Mavs win a title in the next 2 seasons (this one or next), then it was worth it. If they don't, then it wasn't.

FWIW - I can't see them winning a title with this group, even with Kidd.

Reply #173712 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Yep, the success of the deal will be judged over the next 18 months. Most GMs would gladly sacrifice a young talent if they thought they were a chance at a title in the next couple of years.

Kidd has played in more playoff games than any Maverick and has also been to the NBA Finals twice. So
I think the Mavs do get better (in the short term) with this deal but I'm still not sure they are good enough to win it all. I would have them behind San Antonio, Phoenix, Boston and Detroit at this stage. Utah, Houston and New Orleans will also be tough but they should be able to take care of them.

Reply #173716 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

IMO everyone is rating Harris to highly, yes he will be good but NOT that good.

Reply #173719 | Report this post

tmagz03  
Years ago

Thank you bizzy!!
devin harris is getting over hyped. He is amazingly fast and has the potential to be a good player but he will never be a great player.

New jersey nets already have a good young point guard in Marcus Williams but i think he has an attitude problem and fails to get solid game time and play efficiently.

Reply #173765 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Thanks Dallas.....all us Laker fans need now is for Shaq to break down, and then San An is the only threat

Reply #173766 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

To clarify, I do think the Mavs got better, and tougher, by acquiring Kidd - just not enough to win the championship.

Fez - I still reckon there's a handful of teams who can legitimately stake claim to being title contenders.

Reply #173773 | Report this post

I hope Dallas dont win now because of Stackhouse

Reply #173778 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

I agree Bizzy. I watch a lot of Dallas games and not sure when Harris became Bob Cousy. As a fan I happy to see the Mavs shake thing up a little.

Harris Kidd
PPG 14,4 PPG 11,3
RPG 2,3 RPG 8,1
APG 5,3 APG 10,4
SPG 1,4 SPG 1,5

Reply #173783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Kidd play in Dallas' next game?

Reply #173801 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

As australia's biggest Dallas fan, i think its bloody this trade happened. And for bizzy, your a genius. nuthin against Harris, but he's no J-Kidd (and never will be).

Reply #173807 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

All official and a done deal now.

Kidd will feature in a Mavs uniform real soon.

Vince Carter could be on the move soon too. Knicks or Pacers might score his banged up services.

Reply #173928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but will he play against New Orleans?

Reply #173958 | Report this post

the big cheese  
Years ago

now see them as a detroit championship season type team minus the interior presence offensivly and defensivly, which happens to be a neccessity for championship teams. if they held on to diop they might've had a chance. may aswell have done it though, harris is ovveratted, and thier future isnt neccesaily screwed either cause they get massive cap relief from Kidd's contract

Reply #173975 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

I found this inside on the trade from Mark Cuban quite interesting.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/

Reply #173998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:26 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754