BHS
Years ago

Coaching isn't about X's & O's

Coaching is more than X'o and O's, thats a small part.

Having players who will PLAY for you is the key.

Desperation, maturity, belief, trust and persistance makes a team succeed.

X&O's are a semi-vital part but break down reaction and team rules = success. Knowing what the answer is to certain D's = great teams.

Thoughts....?

Topic #14725 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

thanks for that phil

Reply #173985 | Report this post

boom70  
Years ago

I think Phil was the opposite of that, he somewhat had the freelance O (that Geelong Big V will TRY and use this year with Copes, and fail through limited O players and speed) needs looking at, bit more to it than that...

Reply #173988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaching is many things.

Before you worry about X's & O's, you need to understand your people and their skills.

Everything else is based on that information.

Reply #174018 | Report this post

gogetgoorj  
Years ago

Depends what you mean by X's and O's. CONCEPTS of the game are more important than X's and O's. Only when the concepts are grasped by players do the X's and O's really make sense. e.g what is a good shot(you'd be amazed at how many players and even coaches can't tell you this, do we have a coordinated response to every play phase (O transition, D transition etc.), what are the components that make up a GOOD offence, etc.
Talk to your players who have gone into junior coaching, and they will inevitably tell you how, what they do when they play now makes so much more sense. Why, because they are now thinking conceptually to a degree when they play.

Failure to teach concepts as well as X's and O's leads to robots mindlessly running plays for the sake of running a play.

Reply #174028 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

this comment always makes me smile and think of Voldemort..

"The more your players have to think on the basketball court, the slower their feet get."
-- Jerry Tarkanian (1990 UNLV team won the NCAA championship)

Reply #174071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me

I have never heard that Tark comment but I like it. You may be taking the piss but I think it is very true.

Sure you dont go out and not think but reacting and reading play quickly requires players to be past the point of having to stop, think, do. Good players are subconsiously reading the play and reacting to their opponents without having to "think"

Reply #174084 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

to be honest i wasnt taking the p*ss, I love to watch naturally skilled and gifted athletes playing by using that natural skill (see hodge).

Of course the downside is, if you dont have the "gifted" on your team...then they need to be given a plan.

Reply #174122 | Report this post

argie  
Years ago

So why don't we just ask Gus Hiddick to coach the team. By all accounts he was great with having the players "play" for him?

Because, while it isn't "ALL" about coaching, the ability to develop, improve and give players and game plan is important.

And without them you will never succeed.

Reply #174134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754