curtley
Years ago

Conceptual sports team nicknames

Is it just me or are people pissed off with the influx of conceptual nicknames in sport? The A-League just announced the inclusion of 2 new teams next year - the Gold Coast Galaxy and the Northern Thunder, to go with the gay glory, the victory etc. Also there´s the ´Blaze´ and the Western Force, these names are so American and remind me of WNBA teams.

Topic #14741 | Report this topic

MC's HammerTime  
Years ago

What do you propose to be more 'acceptable' names?

Reply #174209 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Wildcats. Can't go wrong with a nickname like Wildcats.

Catchy theme tune "It's the sport of kings, better than a diamond ring, football, Wildcats"

Reply #174211 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Big bugbear* of mine, this.

Aren't all nicknames conceptual? For example, the concept behind 36ers is Adelaide was founded in 1836.

And the LA Lakers, well, that, um ... is the exception that proves the rule? (Yes, I know they were originally from Minnesota where they have 10,000 lakes - I was striving for - but not reaching - extra comedic value here).

My take is that for years the concept has been 'big, scary sounding' nicknames, with a high proportion of meat-eating animals (Lions, Panthers, Tigers, etc). There's not many herbivore nicknames getting around (ladies and gentlemen, your Toronto...Stegasauruses!).

I've posted about this before, but the current phase we're going through revolves around the letter 's' and teams seemingly being unable to bring themselves to put it at the end of any new nickname.

This 'concept' should go out in a Blaze of Glory. ;)

* 'Bugbear' isn't the worst nickname I've ever heard; ladies and gentlemen, one of your five new Euro NBA franchises, the London Bugbears!

Reply #174246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Personally, I'm hoping for the London Fire. An uncle to Townsville in the WNBL perhaps.

Reply #174284 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I prefer animals or some such thing, not adjectives for goodness sakes. I suggested the Gold Coast towers, but the stupid pricks chose their current predicament.

Reply #174425 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754