lockstock
Years ago

NH: Brad Hogg to Retire This Afternoon

It has been announced that Brad Hogg will announce his retirement from International cricket this afternoon.

Seems a big coincidence to me that Gilchrist now Hogg have retired right around the time the IPL 20/20 competition is starting and offering players big money..

For the older players such as Hogg & Gilchrist it is not such a big issue that they retire and maybe have a bit of a run-around in the IPL 20/20. However, the younger big names, ie Andrew Symonds, will face a bit of a dilemna which is ever-increasing, stay with international cricket or join the rebels?

I still think Hogg had a lot to offer and if he doesn start playing 20/20 rebel cricket regularly I will find it hard to think of him as not being a traitor to Aussie cricket. Time will tell...

Will the ICC make a spot in the calendar for the 20/20 rebel league? It seems unlikely at the moment.

Topic #14854 | Report this topic

Grote 46  
Years ago

IPL has been set-up by the Indian Cricket Board, and they are 'buying' alot of Aussie players. Being the two leading cricket nations, i think the ICC will need to come to an arangement at some point, however they've said in the past that they will not change their scheduling until 2012 (futures tournament, or something along those lines).

Reply #175246 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

This is an unexpected and a shock. I didn't realise Hogg was so old and thinking this way.

Does this mean Dan Cullen might get a call up now?

If McGill is injured and old, time for the new era.

Who are some future spinners?

Reply #175250 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

The IPL is ICC sanctioned whereas the ICL isn't. Anyone that signs up to the ICL basically has their State contract and if lucky enough a CA contract torn up. This has already happened to Shane Bond from New Zealand.

Reply #175252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a smart arse, cocky little punk anyway

Reply #175260 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Refer to an earlier post I made, The IPL will change the face of cricket as we know it.

If you are a cricket fan make the most of the next couple of years, it will never be the same again. Players will chose $$ over country.

Reply #175274 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

And theres podgeballs like Cosgrove who after being sacad will receive more coin for a lazy month of curry , smash and giggles than a year of much needed dedication to the game his state and once upon a time , possibly country .

Lets hope the fundamental skills of the game and youth are not jeopardised by short term glory , be interesting to see .

Reply #175278 | Report this post

Neil&Alethea  
Years ago

Hey, is Hoggy playing in the IPL?

Reply #186820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754