Isaac
Years ago

Shane Heal: I could play five more years

The stories about Shane Heal heading to the Gold Coast Blaze are nothing new. That Shane Heal thinks he has another five years left in him might interest a few people though.

It is understood coach Brendan Joyce and assistant coach Mark Watkins will meet with club owners today in a bid to convince them that Heal is worth taking on for next season.

He hit 37 points against the Blaze for the South Dragons last December and would be a marketer's dream.

Those in the know believe Heal would bring at least an extra 500 spectators to the game just to see him play.

Speaking to The Gold Coast Bulletin, the man known as 'The Hammer' strongly denied he was past it.

"I could play five (more) years," he said. "I have been lucky because I have had very little injuries throughout my career and physically it's no problem.

The Hammer aims to nail it for Blaze

Another article out West has quotes from Chuck Harmison again kicking the league while it's down:
"The NBL and basketball is certainly not dead," he said.

"While it's not dead, it's the victim of a pretty horrendous train crash.
And this brutal paragraph:
The Ten Network televised live games during the sport's heyday, but that was a short-lived experiment and Harmison admitted a Ten official had since told him "Gilligan's Island rates better than you guys".
One bit that's a bit confusing is that Chuck suggests that a league revision could be the end for Singapore, New Zealand, Wollongong and/or West Sydney, then drops:
A new name for the league is also on the cards.

"We will discuss coming up with a new name," Harmison said.

"We have teams from Singapore and New Zealand and call it the National Basketball League.
So, are you dumping the international sides and making it a national competition yet changing the name away from something that makes that pretty obvious?

Full article: NBL on life support

Topic #14956 | Report this topic

Rat10  
Years ago

The problem with Heal playing on is I don't think that he can play the role he needs to at his age. I think he's they type of player that functions best with lots of the ball in his hand. And whatever you gain on the offensive end, you give up at the other end of the court.

Sure, he'll have some hot games - in his prime he used to have a few 50 point games per season but he'll also put in his fair share of 2-13 performances from the 3-pt line, something that say, Brett Maher doesn't do.

Reply #176567 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I would love to start a "Heal is a wanker" chant but it wont be as effective over the internet.

Reply #176569 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

yeh good idea chuck, change the name of the NBL, what a visionary, you can call the up late game show ¨naked single women simulating sex´´ but it doesnt mean anyone will be watching it. How about some more drastic changes buddy?

Reply #176571 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

so gold coast will now have two (Mod: Deleted.) blonde obnoxious tools living there now, the other being good old warwick

Reply #176573 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

CEOs - or even acting CEOs - need to be very careful about bagging the product publicly. It can cause those who aren't sure, to switch to the side of the baggers.

I don't like it. If that's his view, he should leave ala Phil Smith. Some of the discussion in that article would be better left in the boardroom.

Reply #176580 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On Heal, I think if he spends any significant time injured, the Blaze will be relying very heavily on Daniel Joyce which may be a bit of a risk. Not sure if there is a better way for the Blaze to get an Australian PG/SG though.

On Chuck, he needs to moderate this prolonged eulogy he's delivering. Crowds in a few places are pretty decent and it must be bizarre for Adelaide and Perth fans to keep hearing that the league is dying when the crowds have been quite OK recently and publicity in newspapers and television is pretty good.

The league needs to prioritise some of the smaller, "easier" changes - the schedule, parity of talent, their website. I don't know that dumping teams and changing the brand is the key. If the head honcho stopped giving the media shocking headlines and quotes, that might help.

Reply #176589 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Joyce, Heal and SOJ all on the same squad... that's a lot of dislike and public enemies in one place.

Reply #176591 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

I think the blaze picking up heal would be great, another offensive threat is what they need. They would also be able to get another import who could score and the blaze would stretch anyteam.

Heal, Harvey, Scoring american, definately sounds good.

Yes we love to hate shane, but he is still a great player. Heal under Joyce would be very good, i think Joyce would be able to contain Shane.

Ref Harmisson - a long time ago i said he shouldnt be in the role, its time to say good bye to chuck.

Reply #176592 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

TR

Add Mick Hill to that and I reckon Statman would declare a 'Jihad' on the Blaze.

Reply #176594 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ha - nice Sturty - I would actually welcome Mick Hill down the coast - I think he would bring some toughness and attitude to our squad. Shane Heal on the other hand.....while I agree he still can cut it at this level I cant see him being the great postive for crowds that the article says. Sure he is a well known name but so many people cant stand him and the debacle at the Dragons hasnt helped his reputation.

In saying that I believe he is pretty much a done deal anyway and will free up an import spot to grab a new forward who will be expected to post 20+ points a night

Will be interesting to see if anything is said at Blaze golf day in a couple of weeks

Reply #176596 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

you used that word Sturty... expect a knock on your door by some men in black....

Reply #176598 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well Joyce Jnr won't be throwing up ill advised shots anymore, he won't see the ball.

Reply #176599 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

re the Heal is a wanker comment...

hehe...isnt that exactly what he is saying?

ive got no doubt he will be able to "keep playing" for many years, he has after all...had A LOT of practice.

:)

Reply #176601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure that he could play for another 5 years - just not as a very good one.

Reply #176605 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Harmison worries me. I'm all for honesty but as Isaac points out, the entire NBL isn't on death's door.

Having said that, maybe Horrendous Train Crash is the new brand - it's so post-modern it may just work. You know, you always slow down and sticky-beak when you drive past a traffic accident. You just have to look. ;)

I kind of expect the NBL to try an A-League-style re-branding, only to call themselves the B-League (B for basketball) and for us to all collapse laughing.

Reply #176606 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Hammer can't play as good enough or dominate like his younger days. He must face this reality. A dumb move by the Blaze if they sign him. It's great for us 36ers fans as we can continue the "Heal is a wanker/Malaka" chants.

Reply #176614 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Chuck actually joked in that presentation the article mentions that they wouldn't be going with B-League. I'm still worried that any rebrand would be viewed as a try-hard effort to copy the success of the A-League and fall over after a couple of years.

They could go with:

BLA - Basketball League of Australia

or

ALBINO - Australian League for Basketball, Including Nearby Overseas

Reply #176622 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Look out for the Australasian Basketball league or the oceania Basketball league.
Could we for once get somebody with a half decent brain in charge??

Reply #176652 | Report this post

blazefan  
Years ago

Like the many fans of teams Heal has played against over his carreer, I have disliked the man intently, but he has always had my respect as a quality player (37 points against the Blaze this season case in point).

Now that it looks like I'll be cheering him next season, I do feel he'll be able to help the Blaze, particularly if he can focus on playing, and without the massive responsibilities he's recently carried.

You'd think that his rapport with Joyce is only going to help his game too.

Going back to the article which started this thread, it also mentions that Jason Crowe 'is widely tipped not to be at the club next season. Perhaps a rebounding power forward will be missing piece that the Blaze need, to avoid a disappointing second season after such a great debut year.

Reply #176653 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Heal goes to Blaze = Joyce better watch his back

Reply #176654 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

KINGMA will be the poster boy for the ALBINO league

Reply #176657 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Isaac, not so sure about the try-hard factor; I think media in general view rehabilitative efforts pretty favourably (unless your name is D. Hicks).

I think it shows you are not only acknowledging that things could be done better but are making a genuine effort to do so.

Minor tweaks will help but my feeling is that it will be perceived as deckchairs on Titanic material.

If Harmison is in charge of any rebranding I'll take your odds of the league folding within a couple of years.

In semi-seriousness: what about X-league? X is mysterious, suggestive. Get Microsoft/X-box on board as major sponsor (ergo more young kiddies interested), release an Australian-only X-league game on X-box.

Headlines write themselves ( 'X marks sport' etc). Appoint CEO with first name Ray. Easy.

Reply #176676 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think it can be X-League or anything similar ripping off the A-League.

Had wondered about Oceanic Basketball, or something to escape the TLA.

It's going to be tough to cover if they retain non-Australian teams.

Reply #176679 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

We're not ripping off A-league (which ripped off the J-League), but the NBA's D-league. :)

The Australian Open does a good job as branding itself as the Grand Slam of the Asia-Pacific - maybe that's a route to explore?

I think the best outcome (but highly unlikely) is for us to come under the NBA fold as an off-shoot league, similar to their China expansion. We wouldn't have the population to justify it, but the credibility would be there.

Or maybe Mark Cuban can just buy the whole league and use it as a farm for his Mavericks.

Reply #176682 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"I could play for 5 more years"

Yes, but not on my F&*King team :-P

Reply #176744 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

"Yes, but not on my F&*King team :-P"

DICKO to coach the dragons?

Reply #176759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754