stir
Years ago

Academy for Girls?

Did I read correctly that they announced a form of Basketball Academy for girls between 18 -20 in the paper today? I see it is modelled once again towards SASI....I would hope that girls currently on team rosters (ABA in this age bracket)get a look in or even girls who walked away from the constant abuse at SASI also get a chance....can anyone tell me how they will select or the basis of this announcement

Topic #15051 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Is that what Vince Marino is funding and Sam Woosnan coaching? as mentioned by Vicky Valk on radio ?

Reply #177643 | Report this post

dog  
Years ago

Good on Vince Marino and Sam Woosnan she will do great job.l think it should be 18 to 22 years old in this bracket there is lots talent and strengh as well.
The Boys academy is open age, just think 2 years is not enough.
Its has been a long time coming so lets get right

Reply #177655 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

Hey Camel
I have no idea really. I just know if they are involved it would be a great program....how many girls walk from SASI or girls simply not interested in dark age coaching topped off by abuse and put downs, obviously no bullying policy here???

I just want to know about it and how they get selected??? The SASI Teams would be so much better if the girls were not put off from joining or resigning.

Good on ya Vicki and SAM....Go Girls....you certainly are a treat for womens basketball with great support from the man of STEEL

Reply #177656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting idea but what purpose does it serve as the kids of that age that are any good play ABL anyway and you cant make wages as a WNBL player. Great for the guys as there is money in it but a bit of a bluff running one for girls who cant drag an audience and don't really have a career path outside of the AIS.

Reply #177683 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

Anon...have you seen the plan? how do you know this?

Reply #177698 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

5aa invited the Lightning into the studio, but the players are on the gold coast. Vicki mentioned the academy. Tania Dhu and Vicki Valk will coach, also.

Reply #177720 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

be nice if they could publish what they are up to so we can all read it!!!!

Reply #177753 | Report this post

Babyballer  
Years ago

Might give some hope to the good ones that get 'discarded' at 18's level if not in 'flavour'. True perhaps the top 2/3 get the goodies until scouts find the others..........then watch people move!!

Reply #177790 | Report this post

good job  
Years ago

l agree with dog it should be 18 to 22 year olds.
also looking at the Juniors in aba that are not in sasi or has not been in state.

Reply #177793 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

we just got to hope those small little power brokers in SASI keep away then we may actually see some girls coming out to play and enjoy basketball again.....how long is it going to take before someone sees how bad the sasi coaches are and the treatment they dish out... (Mod: Keep it reasonable or don't post again.)

Reply #177852 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754