Anonymous
Years ago

Record Heat wave and the ABL

Is a record breaking heat wave enough reason to call off this weekends opening round?

Topic #15065 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

YOU PLAY INDOORS?!

Given, the stadiums have no cooling and are very hot but consider the poor players of other sports who have to train 4,5,6 days a week in this heat OUTDOORS.

Reply #177841 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

then why cancel juniors, there no different

Reply #177845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we have trained in the heat for the last two weeks, most times at an earlier time of the day compared to the start time of the game so there is no reason why we cant play the games

Reply #177853 | Report this post

JLK  
Years ago

We find out by Friday 12pm what BSA have made their mind up. My thought... GAME ON!!!!!!!

Reply #177854 | Report this post

duh  
Years ago

They play at night time....I think the players will be okay!

Reply #177856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The woman play at 6-30 right at the peak.
buts its just the woman i suppose

Reply #177862 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

They're adults, and they have squads of 12, and plenty of breaks. Dont see an issue with games being on.

Reply #177871 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

6-30 the peak? Are you serious bro?

Reply #177880 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Melvin, Sturt have a squad of 21 according to their team list. They could play twice in 60 degrees and still be OK.

Reply #177881 | Report this post

on the ball  
Years ago

if they cancel the games for saturday for this heat reason, then surely tuesdays reserves games at non air con stadiums are also going to be postponed.

can of worms, lets open it up.

Mondays div 13 games will also need to be cancelled.

bet they didnt think this far ahead.

we will then have a precident for every year.

play play play

Reply #177882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i know one outdoor sport soccer, has a cut off of 33c and if so games cannot be played between 11 and 5

sure adult players should be able to manage the situation better, but the length of the hot spell and the recent overnight temperatures (think it was plus 30 all thursday night/friday morning) mean it will be close to 40 in many of the tin shed stadiums, even at 8pm as the heat will have just not moved..... 35 plus temps will be potentially dangerous and risky

Reply #177887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All contracted players are owed a duty of care and given the length of the heat wave and publicity about it, it would be hard for an organization to defend an action brought against it in the event of a tragedy. Open your eyes to the possibility and the implications of terms like, 'Heat Wave', 'Longest on Record' and make decisions in the best interests of the players. Its not about what the players want or can do but about protecting them from forseeable dangers.

Reply #177896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im supposed to be playing in the women's game on Saturday night, and quite honestly Im keen to play. Not only am I keen to play but I don't see a strong arguement for cancellation of games!

1. District senior games were played throughout the week without any consideration of cancellation. Reserves was played in conditions equal to Saturday - and for the most part, was a strong showing of ABA teams - where is the difference?

2. ABA players are - of all the players in this state other than national league - the most physically prepared and capable of playing in warmer temperatures.

3. As previously mentioned we have trained throughout the week in conditions which far exceed match conditions on the weekend with timeouts, rotating substitutions and quarter breaks.

My suggestion is that BSA takes the bull by the horns and runs with our first round of the season which has already been advertised and promoted to the basketball community.

If there are concerns from coaches and players who feel they may not be prepared for the heat, I would see nothing wrong with an extra time out being allowed each half simply as a precaution and a slightly longer 1/4 and 3/4 time break being catered for.

We go on about the strength of ABA here and we should note that it is a league where people are paid to play in many circumstances, as such I think its time we stood up and acted in the professional manner that we would like people to consider us to be!

Reply #177897 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

It was ridiculous to play one round and then have a week off for Easter in the first place. Take this opportunity (the hot weather) to fix the initial mistake and kick the season off with a double header the week after Easter.

Reply #177901 | Report this post

simon  
Years ago

You got to be kidding!! Cancelling games at 630pm and 815pm. If there was anything to be concerned about with regard to getting sued if something went wrong, you would have thought the AFL would have altered games during there NAB cup final. Let me assure you, all the players i know are very keen to play, and as has been stated, have trained in the peak of hot conditions for the entire summer.
Cancelling the games is not an option, it would make our league a joke. It is not a social competition.

Reply #177905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#897, I think your response is fantastic as you are the type of person we all want on our team but also your response is the reason why players should not make the decisions because the overwhelming factor for a player is to play. Administrators need to look at the bigger picture and the possibility of a serious incident occurring.
No one really wins in this type of situation. By playing, a situation is created in which there is a heightened likelihood of a heat related tragedy which could lead to litigation, IMO, under the current conditions such litigation would be successful.
Too often after tragedies we talk about what should have happened, I'd rather prevent it.

Reply #177906 | Report this post

Under what aspect of law would litigation take place would it be under common law or statutory law?

If under common law which legislative act would cover this type of litigation?

If under common law, are you able to identify any precedents to the potential case? Would the civil action be under negligence or some kind of contract law?

I personally doubt any litigation would be successful. The ABL is far from a professional league and whilst people love to rattle off terms like duty of care and negligence almost as if we are living in USA these cases tend to be quite black and white in our legal system.

I doubt you have any legal knowledge whatsoever so why not leave your misguided ideas out of this forum.

Reply #177910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon, conditions of employment are different with the AFL, as in, it is an employer-employee relationship and players are contracted and paid to perform a service. They provide doctors at the games, ice vests, prescribed programs of hydration, access to pools/showers and hydrating facilities on site plus its outdoors etc.
As much as I'd like our basketball facilities to mirror the AFL's, unfortunately they don't. Playing in an indoor stadium without air conditioning, heat is magnified and playing in the early evening when temperatures have been over 35 for 'x' days magnifies this again.
OHS&W is a term all businesses are familiar with and perhaps amateur sporting bodies feel they are immune from the responsibilities it places on them. I hope not. ABL players are contracted players to an amateur league and that league needs to ensure that no exceptional risk will be undertaken by playing in such circumstances as exist.
If the worst heat wave on record does not constitute a reason to postpone or defer and the games are played, I believe any tragedy as a result of that decision to play could not be defended in a court of law successfully.
Despite players wanting to play, there is a bigger picture here and their welfare should be paramount.

Reply #177921 | Report this post

duh  
Years ago

turf cricket are still playing and they are out in the sun all day at peak temperature!

Reply #177935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bike SA's grand slam ride is still going ahead....

Reply #177937 | Report this post

If someone was to take legal action against BSA or other for harm caused due to playing in heat they would most likely struggle to present a case.
Being a civil action, and most likely focused on the breach of duty of care, we are aware that it is a 'forseeable' risk that some damage 'may' occur as a result of games being played. 'Forseeable' being an idea not farfetched or fanciful to the reasonable man.
However, in saying so, it should be noted that by participating in the game it could, and would, be argued that you contributed to your own harm (contributory negligence).
I am also unaware of any legislation (commonwealth or state) or precedent cases which could link to a case such as this.
IMO by taking reasonable precautions and extending break time and/or the addition of time out per half there is no issue with playing.

Let the games begin and kick off round one of the ABL season with some hard fought competitive games

Reply #177939 | Report this post

OHS&W law. Which State department administers the OHS&W acts?

Do you beleive a court case would be succesful under common law or legislative law?

Do you beleive that proximity and forseeability could OBJECTIVELY be proven, as is the requirement of proving in negligence in the Australian Tort Law system. I beleive any "legal" advice given on Hoops is taken with a grain of salt as is evidenced by your complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

I'm sorry I feel the need to respond to such crap as you put up but so often blatant lies, misleading information and mistruths are posted here that I feel the need to respond to you is warrented.

Reply #177941 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

A promising young netballer is dead after collapsing during intense heat prior to a match in south western Victoria last night.

Emma McVilly, 17, a player with Victorian state league side Geelong Flyers, was warming up for a match in Colac, near Geelong, when she fell ill shortly before 9pm.

Hundreds of shocked spectators watched in horror as medical staff tried to revive the teen, who was playing for Colac and District against Warrnambool in a regional grand final.

Its believed Ms McVilly suffered a seizure and cardiac arrest after the fall.

It is not known whether she had any pre-existing health issues, or if the sweltering 36-degree heat that had Victorians sweating last night contributed to her death.

Link

Has to be an argument for not playing doesn't it..

Condolences to the family.

Reply #177942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754