tmagz03
Years ago

Hodge is no longer the missing piece for success

I know hodge fascinated the basketball community when he was here but i honestly do not think he has the right man for the job anymore.

With Schenscher and Holmes now in the side, the sixers dont have to rely on hodge to create as heavily as they did last year. The sixers need a pure shooting athlete. Someone versatile, preferably a tall guard.

I think the 36ers best option is to go for a player such as dave thomas (i know he is retiring, im just saying they need a player that has similar game to him). I think that sort of player would compliment the team more then hodge.

I also think Hutton doesn't deserve to be in the side, now that brad hill is back anyway.

I am excited to see some depth in the sixers this season. If they import a good 3 man then the sixers will have holmes and cooper coming off the bench which is great. Both players are underrated, hard working defenders that are really team oriented. They do the little things and often get little recognition for it. To have a defensive presence coming off the bench is something im really looking forward to next season.

Anyways i just wanted to try and change the perspective of people that think its the end of the world without hodge. I think finding a pure shooting athletic 3 man is more beneficial to the sixers than hodge would be this season.

Thoughs?

Topic #15474 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right. Having Hodge is not essential but that guy is so damn good that the Sixers would be silly not to pursue him. The sixers have been a very good shooting team for ages (but we did lose the ninja) so to have the amazing penetration from Hodge is always very useful.

I think Hodge is just too good for the NBL and I can't see why he would come to Australia when he can go to Europe and maybe even the NBA.

Reply #182740 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Think you have lost the plot tmagz03. Hodge is essential or a player like him because of the fact he drives as we have no other player that can continuously drive. Brad Hill is probably the only other one in the team. Not to mention he gets close to a triple double a game! Furthermore, now with Schenscher and Holmes added to the team and being able to finish inside this will mean teams will not be able to double team Hodge as much making him even more dangerous. Also his ability to bring the ball up is and release pressure from Maher and Davidson is vital!

Reply #182741 | Report this post

tmagz03  
Years ago

Yea but the bottom line is our chances of getting him are slim to none. He is dominating in the NBA development league and i believe is worthy enough of playing in the NBA so he should stay in the states and pursue that goal.

I just think with the players the sixers have now they dont have to rely heavily on Hodge to win games. I know the talent hodge brings to the table but i honestly dont think we have enough to offer to lure him back, despite the attention and local fame he could draw. We have to be skeptical here.

King James, you know there are pure shooting players that have a driving game aswell...

Can anyone think of other players that can make this sixers team just as successful?

Reply #182743 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hodge has presumably shown enough in the D-League, more than enough to get teams interested. This next season, I don't think he needs to commit to more of that low-wage D-League stuff to prove anything else - they'll either want him or they won't because his stats seem to have been good enough.

So, IMO, his choices lie abroad. Europe, which apparently he doesn't like, and the NBL.

For these reasons, it wouldn't surprise me if he committed to an NBL team with an NBA out-clause.

Reply #182747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did you hear that he doesn't like Europe Isaac? Would be interesting if he disliked it enough to knock back a wage four or five times greater than that of the NBL. It would be really annoying if Hodge made an NBA team but only plays 2 mins a game.

Reply #182749 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He played in Europe before and then came here. That has to say something.

Reply #182751 | Report this post

scotty  
Years ago

Yeah you are correct TMAQZ03. Matt Hutton does not deserve to be in the 36ers, but Matt Sutton does!

you are a dead set joke for saying that. Have you seen what he brings to the team. He brings leadership and he stepped up in the absence of Maher last season. Give him a break, hes a young developing player. He deserves to be in the side no question.

Reply #182753 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I remember Hodge saying the team he played for in Europe did not pay their players if they didn't win. Whether the salary there is any better than it is here could be a gamble taking that into account. It could be the guarantee of getting paid that may attract him here rather than Europe.

Reply #182757 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He mentioned several times how good it was here and that he didn't like Italy.

Reply #182769 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"Yeah you are correct TMAQZ03. Matt Hutton does not deserve to be in the 36ers, but Matt Sutton does!

you are a dead set joke for saying that. Have you seen what he brings to the team. He brings leadership and he stepped up in the absence of Maher last season. Give him a break, hes a young developing player. He deserves to be in the side no question."

Im sorry but did you even see last season games, Ng stepped up in Maher's absence, infact everyone BUT sutton stepped up, infact I think most people here would agree last season he stepped down from his previous season. He didnt bring leadership, defence, or shooting to the team he brought nothing, Burdon had much better performances than Sutton.

Reply #182782 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

How much guaranteed money would Hodge have made for being picked in the first round - probably between 2 and 4 million US? I think he would have been drafted while the first three years were still guaranteed.

If he's got his finances in order, he can probably afford to play in the NBL, particularly considering the lifestyle advantages.

Wishful thinking perhaps.

I also think the NBL is marginally improving its position on the NBA radar. Having name guys like Hodge, Corey Williams, Grizzard etc. playing alongside guys with draft potential - Ingles, Jawai - couldn't be doing us any harm.

Reply #182785 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He mentioned lifestyle advantage was here, but he had to get that third season for his NBA pension.
Would love to come back here.

Reply #182789 | Report this post

tmagz03  
Years ago

Hey Scotty,
its called a typo man it happens.
Do you want another example of a typo? My username is tmagz03 and you have typed TMAQZO3.

I respect the fact that you think Sutton deserves to be there but i find it disrespectful for calling me a deadset joke because i have my own opinion that's different to urs.

The point of this forum is to express what is on the minds of basketball fans and each person is entitled to their own opinion. With that being said, your a tosser for all the above reasons :)

Reply #182799 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

tmagz is correct. Sutton didn't step up last year as he wasn't given a chance. The previous coach didn't give him any court time, that would do wonders for your confidence. The previous year is when he made his mark.

I believe Sutton should be given more court time.

Regarding the Hodge questions, he played in Italy before coming to Adelaide and I'm sure I read a quote from him (although written by Boti) saying he was not really happy playing in Italy. Maybe he would be happier playing in another European Country. Still making big bucks......

Reply #182801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome to if Hodge comes back, Please no Sutton this season. Theres a lot better players in the ABA that deserve a chance, Suttons had enough chances to impress and he has failed.

Reply #182819 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Schensher and Holmes are role players. We still need a quality import, specifically someone who can create. So IMO Hodge is still the missing link - or another excellent passer and penetrator* (*please no lame Bryant Matthews jokes)

Reply #182820 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Sutton's playing days with the sixers are over boys, the bloke can't even make an impact at ABL level these days!
2005- 11.7 ppg, 4.4 apg, 6.4 rpg
2006- 14ppg, 4.4 apg, 6.2rpg
2007- 12.5ppg, 6apg, 5rpg
2008- 9.8ppg (30.4%FG, 28% 3PFG) , 4.3apg, 4.8rpg

Averaging less in every category for the past 4 seasons...

Eric Burdon
2006- 18ppg, 2.6apg, 2.6rpg
2007- 19.7ppg, 3apg, 2.6rpg
2008- 24.4ppg (48%FG, 45% 3PFG), 3.6apg, 3.6rpg

Jason Reardon
2008- 17.2ppg (49.3%FG, 41.2% 3PFG), 5apg, 9.8rpg

Reply #182824 | Report this post

SA Proud  
Years ago

Thankyou Panther. I don't think people realise how good Eze Burdon is. Defensively he is very good and works on the principle of denying his man the ball rather than letting them catch and then trying to stop them. A principle that will serve him well in the NBL. Is smart and is willing to adjust his game according to the team's need at any particulr time. Offensively he has good range and can create his own shot. When he gets in rhythm he is fun to watch.

Reply #182830 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I'm concerned about or ability to break a full court press, Davidson is a good ball handler, as is Maher but they are both going to play limited minutes due to age and constant injuries that come with being over 30. We need a point guard with a defensive mindset and the ability to take the load off our two aging champs.

Reply #182831 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I agree that Hodge is not the only person alive who could now lead this team deep into the finals. However, he is still, at the least, the most intruiging piece of the puzzle and, so far, the only real named person in contention.

I can see where tmagz is coming from, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that Hodge would not now fit in this team structure. But equally, an import of the calibre of Farley circa 2002 would probably now fit the bill.

Sturty, as for Sutton, I have to disagree. The previous boss was more than patient with Sutton in the first half of the season and Sutton failed to impress. If anything, he looked less composed than the previous season and entirely ineffectual at one end of the court.

Other than his big final game (17 points, 5/6 three pointers - in which he scored 20% of his season total) against lowly Singapore, he made nearly no impact notwithstanding being on court for 317 minutes of the season (nearly 13 minutes a game). I admit that those minutes were sporadic, but Sutton did not demand or deserve more.

Reply #182833 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Oh man, tmagz is priceless! He starts off with:

"honestly do not think he has the right man for the job anymore"

then a bit later follows it up with;

"He is dominating in the NBA development league and i believe is worthy enough of playing in the NBA so he should stay in the states and pursue that goal."

I love this board.

Reply #182900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754