The_Champ33
Years ago

Heal rules out Bullets return

VETERAN point guard Shane Heal has ruled out returning to his old NBL club Brisbane following the loss of Bullets stars CJ Bruton and Sam Mackinnon.

Former South Dragons player-coach Heal repeated his stance that he would only consider signing with the Gold Coast Blaze for the 2008-09 season and beyond after recently stating he had five more years left in the NBL.

Championship-winning point guard Bruton has told Brisbane's new general manager Brian Kerle and coach Joey Wright he has accepted a lucrative European offer, while Mackinnon has asked to be released from his contract.

Bruton's departure leaves a gaping hole at the point guard position, but Gold Coast-based Heal gave a direct response when asked if he would consider joining the Bullets.

The only way Heal will continue his NBL career is under Blaze coach Brendan Joyce, a long-time friend.

"No mate," he said. "I'm only considering playing for Brendan because we go back a long way."

Heal, 37, has met with Blaze chief executive Dave Claxton and Joyce to discuss their recruitment plans for the upcoming season.

But the four-time Olympian said he wasn't interesting in joining the Blaze unless they recruited a second import to replace Jason Crowe.

Import Juaquin Hawkins is set to return from a mild stroke and play next season.

"I'm sitting here waiting (for the Blaze's plans)," said Heal, who played for the Bullets from 1992-95.

"I've got a lot on my plate business-wise and it's not a bargain-basement deal where I'm begging to play for the Gold Coast Blaze.

"The only reason why the Blaze are an interesting prospect for me is because of my relationship with Brendan Joyce and the respect I have for him.

"I've laid it all on the table. It'd be great to have the opportunity to play under Brendan."

Heal lives on the Gold Coast with his wife Jenny and three young daughters.

He is ranked an eight on the NBL points system.

Players are ranked one to 10 at the end of each season with each club restricted to 68 total player points.

"It's back in their court, which way it's going to go," said Heal.

"I'm not too fussed about it."

AAP

Courtesy of Foxsports.

Topic #15540 | Report this topic

duh!  
Years ago

how long have heal and the blaze bantered about this back and forth, putting the ball back in eachother's court?
being in qld, we get almost a daily hot-potato-style interview from heal, then the blaze, then heal again, then the blaze again every second day.
i'm not fussed either way if heal came back to brisbane or not.... i think most people in brisbane feel the same way.
he's a good player, but nah.....

Reply #183404 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

He is kidding himself Joey wouldnt have asked him anyway.Gibson is so much better his time has passed he just cant accept it.In fact it was way past last season he couldnt score and couldnt defend anyone.Brisbane were never going to ask him.

Reply #183407 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

i don't think they'd pay him what he'd want anyway- especially when they're not paying out what the players they WANT to keep are asking for, let alone heal....
hopefully one of them will make a decision some day soon and enough of the daily shane heal/ gc blaze mutual appreciation society.

Reply #183410 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Champagne, people - joker and I agree on something!

Reply #183411 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

5 more years left in him... makes me chuckle every time.

Reply #183455 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

he's like monty burns- hehe

Reply #183469 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Am I missing something here?? How can the Blaze sign Heal AND get an import. The points as I calculate are as follows:

9 - Harvey, Hawkins, Melmeth
8 - Cameron, Frank
7 - McGregor
5 - Joyce
4 - Demos

This makes 59. With Heal on 8 how are we going to get an import for 1 point???

Am I right in suggesting that this perhaps is the main reason for the on going delay, Heal or import??

Another question, is a new import an automatic 10? If so the Blaze have to be looking at all uncontracted 9 pointers if they expect to get a second import.

Again, am I missing something here?

Reply #183495 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those are external ratings - may be some deductions, but there wouldn't be many. Where they might shave some points is with contracts signed on older ratings - e.g., Frank and Melmeth might not have been that high last year. Same with Joyce and Demos.

Yes, all new imports are 10 by default for their first season.

Reply #183497 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Thanks I-man. That explains how the (team names removed at writers request) are able to rort the points cap as well as the celery cap. Note the new and more accurate spelling.

After a small search, I can't find a list of last season's (06/07) point ratings, can anyone help?

Also future NBA player Ben Melmeth (re: #14443) should only be shown as an 8 not 9 on my post above.

This means a new import guard (+10 points), some deductions (-3) and bringing Aucoin into the main squad (+3) could be a reasonable way to go.

Reply #183514 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754